UKC

Camera for multipitch and big walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sparkass 28 Apr 2016
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a camera suitable for taking on multipitch and big walls?

I am looking at the Panasonic TZ80 but am concerned it is too big.

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix s3000 which is a great size but a crap camera.

I want something that provides good quality but is compact to fit in a pocket or in the pouch in the Black Diamond Zodiac gear sling.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks, Duncan
 Martin Hore 28 Apr 2016
In reply to sparkass:

Reasonably pleased with my Sony RX100 (Mk1 but they are now onto Mk 4). You won't find smaller with better quality I think unless you are happy with a fixed focus lens. The controls are too fiddly to use with gloves but I guess you are thinking summer routes.

Martin
 Martin Bennett 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

I think the Panasonic TZ80 is considerably thicker, front to back, than it's predecessors of which I've had several - TZ10, TZ27, TZ30. This may make it a bit unwieldy by comparison. Incidentally I had that many TZs (a) because I liked them, and (b) because I broke them easily! For the latter reason I went on to Canon and have a Canon Ixus 235 (this year's equivalent is Ixus 285 I believe) for compactness and a Canon Powershot SX270 for extra zoominess and manual controls.

The Ixus is what I mostly use when climbing - about the size of your current Nikon I think, but with 10x zoom, and I find it, for what it is, surprisingly good in low light, it's light in weight and it's very robust - seems to stand up to my carelessness, which probably did for the Panasonics!

Either of the above are half the price of the TZ80 (or "proper" cameras like the RX100 mentioned above). Or pick up a used Panasonic TZ30 or 27 or 35 for under £100.

Bear in mind I'm no photographer and also have no idea what might fit into the pouch you describe, but I do always carry a camera, climb long routes whenever I can and have been doing so for a very l-o-n-g time, so am used to the problems of keeping a camera handy and intact (though lamentably bad at the latter!).

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

I have the RX100 mkII as you can attach a external mic if you any to make videos as well. Love it as a camera for climbing.
 MikeR 29 Apr 2016
In reply to sparkass:

Can't help with recommendations, but as I'm also interested in a compact to take on routes I'll be interested in any replies. As a slight hijack, can anyone recommend a good quality compact that is waterproof and easy to use with gloves on?
OP sparkass 29 Apr 2016
In reply to sparkass:

Thanks for replies guys. Looks like the rx100 is the way to go if you can afford it! I think with that in mind i will settle with the tz80 as the cheaper option. All the super compacts seem to have too much trade off.
 Adam Long 29 Apr 2016
In reply to sparkass:

I've got a Panasonic LX-7. Has a few of advantages over the Sony for me - wider zoom goes to 24mm eq rather than 28mm, also a good bit cheaper, and the aspect ratio switch is very useful (16:9 24mm is significantly wider than the Sony). I don't want or need 20mp files from a compact either.
 John Kelly 29 Apr 2016
In reply to sparkass:

Olympus tough are pretty reliable
 Robert Durran 29 Apr 2016
In reply to sparkass:

The RX100 Mk1 is now very good value with the later models out. A bit fiddly in gloves but fine for rock climbing. Very pleased with mine for climbing. Only problem I had was getting my first one wet and having to replace it (would probably have been ok if I'd dried it out more promptly)
 philhilo 30 Apr 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

With you there. Waterproof and shockproof. I killed a previous camera walking off the Ben in the rain. The Tough is good to 15m so no worries there, and seems happy bouncing off rock when I need hands free quickly.
 John Kelly 30 Apr 2016
In reply to philhilo:
I'd love a great camera, rx100, sounds fantastic, but I could only use on a photo trip.
When climbing/working/holidaying/lending to children we batter, drown, scratch, sit on, fill with dust, etc, gone through about 5 cameras in last 10 years including 2 tough camera's (jumping into water from 3+m will overwhelm their defences). Tough cameras, hang on your neck and forget, good kit, always there.
Post edited at 04:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...