UKC

Closest Climbing to Birmingham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murcantile 28 Apr 2016
Am relocating to Birmingham in next half of this year.

Where is the nearest rock worth checking out, or even not worth checking out?

Dandan 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Prepare to be disappointed.
If you are North Brum then probably southern Peak, if you are South Brum then probably the Wye Valley. I think there's some esoteric little crags with questionable access in Leicestershire somewhere if you are really keen.

When I lived near Cov we would drive to the peak at weekends, it's not bad if you leave reasonably early.
In reply to Murcantile:

Horse pens 40 for bouldering.
 d_b 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Isn't there a load of esoteric stuff over in Shropshire as well?
 GridNorth 28 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Isn't there a load of esoteric stuff over in Shropshire as well?

Llanymenach [spelling???] is worth a visit.

Al
 Dandan 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

You've not booked any flights recently have you?
 Yanis Nayu 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Roaches
 Dave Garnett 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

The Bournbrook wall at the university is made of rock. You'll get very good at fingery traverses.
 DerwentDiluted 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Birmingham BHX or Birmingham BHM?
 TomGB 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:
I'm in Bham. On Sunday got to Symonds Yat in about 1 hr 20min. Peak is probably a bit further, Roaches being the closest. Close enough for a day trip though. Would say there's nothing close enough worth visiting if you've got less than a full day i.e. after work
Post edited at 15:10
 Babika 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Another vote for the Roaches. Easier to get to than the Peaks IMHO
 Hat Dude 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Dandan:

> When I lived near Cov we would drive to the peak at weekends, it's not bad if you leave reasonably early.

I've lived near Cov for many years & made regular day trips to the peak, it takes approx 1½ hours to get to Stanage
 Brumbler 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Birmingham isn't ideal for climbing but I guess it depends how keen you are. I'm in Brum and happily drive to north wales for a days bouldering and back again.

Closest place is probably Churnet which is about an hour, then a lot of the southern grit is only an hour and a half, Roaches, Cratcliffe, Robin Hoods Stride etc. Same sort of time for places like Raven tor. Nesscliffe is just over an hours drive as well.

If you want stuff on the doorstep you'll be disappointed but if you're willing to do about an hour and a half drive there is a lot to keep you busy. Oh and don't believe anyone who tells you about crags around Leicester, the only thing vaguely worth climbing on is Forest rock and even that isn't the best.
 Michael Hood 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Brumbler: The Brand is also worthwhile but no good for bouldering

TobyA 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

From the West side, then Southstone Rock, if you ignore Worcestershire sandstone (which you really should).
 The Ivanator 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Pontesford Rocks has some decent routes and is a little closer than the Peak and Wye options, covered in the new Clywd Rockfax.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...