UKC

Has anyone set up a webcam as want one pointing at Puig!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Mayfield 30 Apr 2016
I want to setup a webcam pointing at Puig from Orange House so that people can have a quick look and see what the weather is doing etc!

I have done a quick google search and not really any clearer!

I went to Maplin in Plymouth last week and the guy was lovely but no good in how easy it is or what I should buy!

Has anyone set up a system that they can check the house whilst away etc etc

Can swop expertise for accommodation lol

Sam Orange House
OP Sam Mayfield 30 Apr 2016
In reply to mccarti:

hmm complicated to say the least and takes you to the amazing USA!

Anyone else?
 yorkshireman 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

I bought a cheap IP camera online a while back and set this one up that takes a picture outside my office window every 15 minutes and then FTPs it to a server I can then see on a web page.

http://www.lajarjatte.com/en/news-en/new-webcam-for-la-jarjatte/

Its not ideal - not fantastic quality but good enough to see what the weather is like when I'm away from home. Now the local council have put in an official webcam that is far better so I've turned my updates off now.

The key thing was that my internet connection is really slow and I work from home and so didn't want people to be connecting directly to the webcam and consuming my bandwidth. The image upload every 15 minutes got around that problem.

This is the camera I bought, I'm sure you can get much better for the money nowadays.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008BCSYNY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie...

EddInaBox 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

If you have an old 'phone gathering dust which has a built in camera and wi-fi you can download one of a number of apps to turn it into a webcam/security camera, the advantages are that you don't have to buy new hardware or leave your P.C. on 24 hours a day, on the down side the camera may not be ideal for the use you are intending, wide field of view with no ability to zoom in.
OP Sam Mayfield 02 May 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

So if I connect a webcam to the internet at Orange House and loads of people look at the same time will it slow it all down!

You see this is all way too horrible for me to try and understand! Might need to employ a geek! :0)

Sam Orange

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...