UKC

Tour de Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 30 Apr 2016
Why couldn't they use motorbike camera as live coverage for both races today!?!?!?!
In reply to jules699:

The motorbikes send the pictures to a plane which sends them to the studio.
OP jules699 30 Apr 2016
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Oh. Now I understand. Thanks. (Dummy still out....)
 nufkin 30 Apr 2016
Seems a bit low-tech for 2016 - aren't there satellites they could beam to, instead of relying on the aviation equivalent of a bloke in a 2CV with a big antenna gaffer-taped to the roof?

interdit 30 Apr 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> Seems a bit low-tech for 2016 - aren't there satellites they could beam to, instead of relying on the aviation equivalent of a bloke in a 2CV with a big antenna gaffer-taped to the roof?

Generally, to get your signal up to a satellite it has to be quite focussed, correctly aligned and not too weak.
The equipment has been reduced in size and power requirements over the years to the point where it can fit on top of an outside broadcast van with a big dish on top, or positioned on the ground next to it.
- difficult to ride a motorbike with a 6ft dish on the back, not lone keep it aligned and stable

In fact all the following vehicles transmit to following aircraft. These do not themselves transmit to the satellite, but relay to the groundstation van which has the big dish and upsynchs to the satellite.

http://cyclingtips.com/2013/07/eyes-in-the-sky-how-the-tour-de-france-is-br...

wtf! you say! I have an Iridium satphone and can talk via satellite from almost anywhere in the world.
Much, much lower power and bandwith requirements than a video broadcast.
 Chris the Tall 01 May 2016
In reply to jules699:

Not had chance to see what's in the highlights package yet - is there any footage from the day ? Does it get lost if not relayed within a given time?

I think I saw the full live coverage yesterday, in a pub in Tickhill whilst having lunch, and was surprised they weren't able to show recorded stuff from the morning rather than the previous day.

Great support by the roadside- great atmosphere in Conisborough (we did 3 laps!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...