UKC

Glacier Glasses Advice Sought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Geras 30 Apr 2016
I will be doing my first Alpine climbing trip (on a course) this summer, and looking fro any recommendations on glacier glasses. I've got the bit about them being cat 4, and iv'e seen some recommendations about avoiding polarized lens's. However, how good a fit to the face do they need to be?

Looking for something with a little style too, if possible.

Any recommendations?
In reply to twodada:

Julbo
 MG 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:
Cat 3 seem fine too and are more useful generally. Don't spend a lot - they break, get scratched and get lost. Decathlon do cheap ones if there is one near you.
Post edited at 18:04
 Webster 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:

seconded the decathlon comment! I picked up 2 pairs of stylish looking mountaineering specific cat 4 glasses for about a tenner last year! but also second the "cat 3 is fine" comment as well. Bloc do plenty of good wraparound sunglasses rrp at about £30 but can often get them for half that in places like Tog 24
 tistimetogo 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:

Cat 3 is fine and Decathlon do them at cheap prices.

If you want to look "cool" and spend more money try

http://bit.ly/21m5PX0

My friend has a pair and he gets lots of bemused looks.
 Dave the Rave 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:

Don't underrate snow blindness. Spend £50 plus on decent cat 4 with side blinds and possibly a remove able nose piece. I've had some Bolle Glaciers for 25 years. Cool is only a state of mind and others opinions. Often they're wrong
 ianstevens 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:
Get Cat 4 lenses - cat 3 don't cut it. You only get one pair of eyes and it's worth spending an extra £20 to look after them. If you find them to dark for anything else, either get another pair of glasses or invest in a pair with photochromatic lenses. If you look after them, they last. I got 5 years out of my last pair and easily spend 3+ months on glaciers each year, and I use them for running as well. Only got a new pair as I dropped the old ones

Another vote for Julbo.
Post edited at 19:37
 MG 30 Apr 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Cat 4 etc is a measure of the darkness, not the UV filtration. So it is really whatever is comfortable. For the European Alps, most people seem fine with cat 3. UV is a separate rating, and is obviously important but I think any CE marked pair will meet this.
OP Geras 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:

Thanks for all the input Guys, was looking at Julbo, but the was a little overwhelmed with all the glasses they have. Might also have a look at Bloc an Decathlon.
 Mr. Lee 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:

Just try some glasses on and see what looks good and fits well. No great science involved. No point paying a fortune either unless you're going for the French guide look.
 Cheese Monkey 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:

Having had streaming sore eyes up in a hut due to slightly ill fitting glasses I would say get the pair that fit your face perfectly. A bright day on a glacier can be ridiculously blinding
 OwenM 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

>. I've had some Bolle Glaciers for 25 years. Cool is only a state of mind and others opinions. Often they're wrong

I too have Bolle glasses that must be at least that old, I was asked by a young lifty at Glenshee where I got then as he thought them "really cool". made my day.

veteye 30 Apr 2016
In reply to twodada:

Buy two pairs. A spare pair may save your eyes when you sit on the first pair or just lose them.
 Dave the Rave 30 Apr 2016
In reply to OwenM:

> >. I've had some Bolle Glaciers for 25 years. Cool is only a state of mind and others opinions. Often they're wrong

> I too have Bolle glasses that must be at least that old, I was asked by a young lifty at Glenshee where I got then as he thought them "really cool". made my day.

It's my motto to keep hold of stuff then every now and again it becomes fashionable.
 nathan79 01 May 2016
In reply to twodada:

Another vote for Julbo here. If they fit your face, Julbo Tensing with cat4 lenses can be had for less than £40.
 Jasonic 03 May 2016
In reply to twodada:

Another vote for cat 3 Decathlon..
if you get cat 4 don't drive in them as illegal in France & they issue on the spot fines!
Spare pair in the team is a good idea.
 tehmarks 03 May 2016
In reply to twodada:

I bought a pair of Julbo Bivouak glasses with Cameleon lenses (cat 2-4) last year and was very happy with them. hat is, until i lost them in the back of an ambulance three months later. Now I'm miffed that I wasted a lot of money on them only to lose them, and that they've been discontinued in the meantime!
 Andrew Lodge 03 May 2016
In reply to twodada:

Got a spare pair of Cat 3 Julbo Run vert glasses.

Brand new in box with tags.

£40 posted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...