UKC

Dr Who is racist, Star Wars is

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 03 May 2016
homophobic...

> Star Wars needs gay characters, and three of the biggest studios are failing badly in the sexuality department, according to a new report on Hollywood diversity.

> In its annual report released today, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation report card on how gay and transgender people fare on screen said Hollywood was falling behind other media in its portrayal of diversity, and it cited the Kevin Hart comedy Get Hard as particularly offensive. Coming on the heels of recent fiery controversies around the representation of women and people of colour in Hollywood, the report calls on the Star Wars franchise to show more diversity. The report found that Disney and Paramount in particular did not have one gay character in their films last year

> "Hollywood's films lag far behind any other form of media when it comes to portrayals of LGBT characters," GLAAD's president and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis told The Hollywood Reporter. "Too often, the few LGBT characters that make it to the big screen are the target of a punchline or token characters. The film industry must embrace new and inclusive stories if it wants to remain competitive and relevant." GLAAD was founded in 1985 to fight homophobic reporting on HIV/AIDS but has since worked to influence media narratives on anti-gay violence, gay celebrities, homophobic slurs in music and sport and, more recently, to address marriage equality and transgender issues.

> Its fourth-annual survey of gay and transgender representation in film found that in 2015 only 17.5 per cent of movies contained LGBT characters. No major studio received a "Good" rating. Lionsgate was seen as the most inclusive studio, while Paramount, Disney, and Warner Brothers all flunked. Seen as one of Warners' most disappointing films was Get Hard, starring Hart and Will Ferrell, which the report described as "one of the most problematic films in several years," likening it to "a nearly two-hour prison rape joke." The film was described by one Variety critic as "some of the ugliest gay-panic humour to befoul a studio release in recent memory".

> Lionsgate had the highest rate of representation (33 per cent), and the report praised Freeheld, which it called "one of the year's LGBT film highlights," and American Ultra, which incorporated a gay character as its moral centre. Fox, Sony, and Universal also earned "Adequate" ratings while Paramount and Disney joined Warner Brothers as "Failed". Vanity Fair noted that Paramount was also, along with Fox, recently found to have no female directors lined up through 2018.
 Philip 03 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

They're children's programmes. They don't need any element of sexuality.
 WaterMonkey 03 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Do you agree with the thread title or just copying and pasting?

FFS What a load of bollocks, how can not having gay characters be homophobic? At my workplace there are no black people (One just left) and as far as I know there are no gay people. (And there are 400 employees here) Nothing racist or homophobic just the way it is.
 ben b 03 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I see your closet desire to be a red top headline writer has come out again.
C-3PO is an (admittedly fairly stereotypical) gay character. Zachary Quinto plays a major part in Star Trek to much acclaim. Chewie is, presumably, big in the Bear community. Captain Jack Harkness was a major part of Dr Who for many years and spectacularly bisexual. However, the text above doesn't really mention much about the franchises you mention.

b
Removed User 03 May 2016
In reply to ben b:

> C-3PO is an (admittedly fairly stereotypical) gay character

I'm not sure robots count.
 Dell 03 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

True, C3PO is a massive bender. Homophobia my arse!
 wintertree 03 May 2016
In reply to Dell:

> True, C3PO is a massive bender. Homophobia my arse!

You're as confused as Hollywood! Being incredibly camp is orthogonal to sexuality. I think in times of repression you are more likely to hear from camp gay people about their sexuality, hence this common misconception.

Post edited at 10:37
Lusk 03 May 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

I give you Sy Borg
OP Big Ger 03 May 2016
In reply to ben b:
> I see your closet desire to be a red top headline writer has come out again.

Whereas your position as my No 1 Fan has never been in doubt.

The original article was sourced from here, hardly a "red top.'
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/entertainment/movies/star-wars-disney-warne...
Post edited at 10:52
 The New NickB 03 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Interesting that you mention Dr Who, even if the article doesn't.

Hasn't the reboot been critisised for having homosexual and bisexual character and also over that same period haven't a significant number of characters been from ethnic minorities, characters played by Noel Clarke and Freema Ageman spring to mind, but there are many others.

Dr Who usually gets critisised for pushing a PC agenda, so it's odd that you include it.
 ben b 03 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
Headline and byline writers occupy a special place in Dante's Circles for me... Occasionally you can read a really nuanced and fascinating article beneath a byline that was clearly written by someone who should really be only allowed access to blunt crayons. The Indy seemed particularly good at this - they had Ed Douglas writing very thoughtful pieces but the headers were just crass. You just seemed to be adding your own little bit of spin about racism in Doctor Who, where as above NickB rightly points out that it's one of the Beeb's more diverse shows (both in terms of sexuality and ethnicity).

Of course, the answer to any question in a headline that reads "Could the answer to x be y?" is always no.

b
(edited in light of prior post)
Post edited at 11:11
 Dave Garnett 03 May 2016
In reply to Dell:

> True, C3PO is a massive bender. Homophobia my arse!

What about Bender?
 Yanis Nayu 03 May 2016
In reply to Dell:

> Homophobia my arse!

That's confused me...
 Sir Chasm 03 May 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

Is your workplace the closet factory?
 winhill 03 May 2016
In reply to ben b:

> You just seemed to be adding your own little bit of spin about racism in Doctor Who, where as above NickB rightly points out that it's one of the Beeb's more diverse shows (both in terms of sexuality and ethnicity).

It was a couple of years ago but Dr Who was slammed for being very racist and colonialist in a collection of academic papers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Race-Lindy-Orthia/dp/1783200367
Removed User 03 May 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> What about Bender?

He did show off his gaydar in one of the early episodes.
 The New NickB 03 May 2016
In reply to winhill:

I remember, wasn't one essay effectively that because Peter Davison's Doctor wore cricket whites, he was no better than Cecil Rhodes.

All very silly really. Of course the article in the OP mentions none of this and the series gets far more critisism for trying too hard to be inclusive.
 MonkeyPuzzle 03 May 2016
In reply to ben b:

>. Chewie is, presumably, big in the Bear community.

I'm (un)reliably informed that he's more of a Daddy Otter.
 Dell 03 May 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> >. Chewie is, presumably, big in the Bear community.

> I'm (un)reliably informed that he's more of a Daddy Otter.

I see you know all the correct terminology?

MonkeyPuzzle 03 May 2016
In reply to Dell:

Not all.
OP Big Ger 03 May 2016
In reply to The New NickB:
> Interesting that you mention Dr Who, even if the article doesn't.

I was referring to, and tying in, an earlier thread, which referenced this;

> The BBC has responded to claims that 'Doctor Who' is a "thunderously racist" drama. A group of academics, writing in a collection of essays titled 'Doctor Who and Race', have suggested the long-running sci-fi show promotes dismissive attitudes towards black companions and "contempt" for primitive cultures.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/28/doctor-who-racist-bbc_n_3344748....

Sorry if that confused you.
Post edited at 22:38
 Dauphin 03 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Is C3PO a power bottom?

Wouldn't divergent non binary alien sexualities be queer by definition? Most written Sci fi seems to think so. The future is safe explororatory place. I'm not really interested in a hetero soap opera heroes journey beyond the galaxy. Henlein and Banks realy got me scratching my head when in came to some of the infinite possibilities that may exist out there.

D
OP Big Ger 03 May 2016
In reply to The New NickB:
> Dr Who usually gets critisised for pushing a PC agenda, so it's odd that you include it.

No, Dr Who isn't "PC", it's racist, and it's sexist!

https://rebeccaamoore.com/2014/05/29/university-study-on-sexism-in-bbcs-doc...
Post edited at 23:56
 aln 04 May 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> Is C3PO a power bottom?

Definitely bottom.
 wintertree 04 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Of course the bechdel test is totally flawed from an academic perspective. If you have an episode with a male doctor, a female companion and the only other characters are machines or aliens of indeterminate gender, it is impossible for the episode to pass the test. Likewise with a female doctor and a male companion. The test is so devoid of contextual information that I would call it's use a deliberate fallacy.

A better test would be the ratio (number of conversations between two men not about a woman) to (number of conversations between two women not about a man)

I have no idea if the choice of an academically flawed test skews the results for Dr Who towards claims of male supremacy, and given that it's unwatchable pap I for one won't be reporting back to the class on it.

That most of the good doctor's rebooted companions are younger ladies made up to common standards of attractiveness says more to me than flawed tests...
OP Big Ger 04 May 2016
In reply to wintertree:

> That most of the good doctor's rebooted companions are younger ladies made up to common standards of attractiveness says more to me than flawed tests...

Of course, both the Dr and companions should be mixed-race, working-class, transgender people, (with disabilities.)
OP Big Ger 04 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
Dr Who is racist and sexist, Star Wars needs more LGBT characters, and Disney should give the "Frozen" heroine a girlfriend

> Moncada explained her petition in an article posted to MTV.com, saying, "The entertainment industry has given us girls who have fallen in love with beasts, ogres who fall for humans, and even grown women who love bees. But we've never been able to see the purity in a queer relationship." She added that "many in the LGBT community view Frozen as a metaphor for the experience of coming out and accepting who you are. Yet Elsa, the film's protagonist, will probably end up with a male prince or king in the upcoming Frozen sequel."
Post edited at 06:35
ceri 04 May 2016
In reply to wintertree:
> A better test would be the ratio (number of conversations between two men not about a woman) to (number of conversations between two women not about a man)

That's not going to work either, unless you exclude conversations about the Doctor. As the programme is about him, surely most conversations by either male or female characters will be about him, introducing a bias?

There was a report recently about how Disney princesses are actually getting less dialogue these days, despite being billed as independent... http://qz.com/603052/new-research-has-uncovered-a-disturbing-trend-about-fe...
Post edited at 06:44
 Brass Nipples 04 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Didn't you see the episode where the darlek thought it was the only gay in the village but then a cyberman turned up...
 FactorXXX 04 May 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Didn't you see the episode where the darlek thought it was the only gay in the village but then a cyberman turned up...

The Gay Daleks: -

youtube.com/watch?v=AWiq-0rf_bA&
OP Big Ger 05 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Let's not forget the blatant racism in Star Wars though;

> Probably the most obvious example, the universally reviled Jar Jar Binks and his native species of gungans are often cited as a blatant mash-up of Caribbean and black face caricatures, described as a floppy-eared Stepin Fetchit who communicates entirely in bizarre Pidgin English. George Lucas has rejected most of the criticisms, saying critics are unfairly ascribing stereotypes to an orange amphibian alien.

> While Jar Jar bore the brunt of criticism in "The Phantom Menace," the neimoidians (the Trade Federation villains) were maligned as well for their portrayal of negative Asian stereotypes. Maybe Lucas was going for an over-the-top villainous portrayal, but throughout the prequel trilogy the aliens appear greedy, cowardly, and deceptive and speak in strange "Engrish" accents.

> Tusken Raiders Attack,in which you finally learn this character's name: Nien Nunb is another example that might be reaching a bit since he appears so briefly, but the short sidekick seen riding with Lando Calrissian in the Millennium Falcon in "Return of the Jedi" has been accused of being a caricature of Mexican, Filipino, and Asian stereotypes.
In reply to Steve-J-E:

"...and as far as I know there are no gay people. (And there are 400 employees here) "

maybe you need to re-calibrate your gaydar

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check/2013/oct/03/gay-britain-w...
 WaterMonkey 05 May 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

So statistically of the 400 there would be 6 gay people? Possible.
So in a film with maybe 50 characters why is it deemed homophobic to not have a gay one, when statistically there wouldn't be one anyway?
In reply to Steve-J-E:

"So statistically of the 400 there would be 6 gay people? Possible."

My guess would be more than 6...nearer 20..maybe more.

cap'nChino 05 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Always thought C3PO and R2D2 were a bit gay. C3PO certainly is camper than a row of tents.
 WaterMonkey 05 May 2016
> My guess would be more than 6...nearer 20..maybe more.

What is the point in guessing when there are statistics? The stats say that for the whole country it is 1.5%. I imagine less than that percentage for heavy industry sector but assuming not then about 6.
Post edited at 12:45
In reply to cap'nChino:

Anthony Daniels who played C3-PO is homosexual, and remember the scene when they go to the Mos Eisley Cantina and they do not allow C3P0 in ("we don't serve his kind in here")....according to wiki it's because Chalmum (the proprietor) doesn't like droids because they don't drink....yeah right! Even me as a 7 yr old saw straight through that one
 Jimbo C 05 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

but not every gay person is 'out' so how do we know there aren't more gay people in films? and what if the particular story portrayed in the film doesn't necessitate a portrayal of someone's sexuality. It's just not realistic to expect every film to include a representation of every minority group in society - that's not what film is for.
cap'nChino 05 May 2016

> Anthony Daniels who played C3-PO is homosexual, and remember the scene when they go to the Mos Eisley Cantina and they do not allow C3P0 in ("we don't serve his kind in here")....according to wiki it's because Chalmum (the proprietor) doesn't like droids because they don't drink....yeah right! Even me as a 7 yr old saw straight through that one

Dear lord, it makes sense now. Insert shocked white cat GIF here*
cap'nChino 05 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

In fairness to Star Wars, they are the only mainstream film I can think of which has incest as part of the story line. That has to count for something.
OP Big Ger 05 May 2016

> "So statistically of the 400 there would be 6 gay people? Possible."

> My guess would be more than 6...nearer 20..maybe more.

But also, maybe none.

OP Big Ger 05 May 2016
In reply to cap'nChino:

> Always thought C3PO and R2D2 were a bit gay. C3PO certainly is camper than a row of tents.

A row of pink tents.
 Clarence 05 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Rumour is, R2D2 is a bit of a universal adapter.
 wintertree 06 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> But also, maybe none.

I picked a conservative rate of 4 in 100. For a sample of 400 people, the "maybe" you refer to has a probability of 0.0000081%.

With a super-conservative estimate of 1 in 100 your maybe becomes 1.8% probable.

I think it more likely that the poster doesn't know that much about each of the other 400 employees sexuality. Not exactly surprising, that...
OP Big Ger 06 May 2016
In reply to wintertree:

Fair enough, I bow to your superior statistical capability.
 Yanis Nayu 06 May 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

> but not every gay person is 'out' so how do we know there aren't more gay people in films? and what if the particular story portrayed in the film doesn't necessitate a portrayal of someone's sexuality. It's just not realistic to expect every film to include a representation of every minority group in society - that's not what film is for.

It appears that it's what everything is for nowadays.
In reply to Clarence:

R2D2. Clearly a synonym for ACDC...
 FactorXXX 08 May 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

R2D2. Clearly a synonym for ACDC...

For those about to cock?
OP Big Ger 31 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

At last, Disney recognises lesbianism, or does it?

> The new Finding Dory trailer has sparked a heated online debate over speculation the children's film features a lesbian couple. You could miss it in a blink-of-an-eye but a brief scene in the new Finding Dory trailer has got everybody talking about what could be a first for Disney Pixar. Just over a minute into the clip a toddler is pictured dropping her bottle after being knocked by a stroller.

> One of two women picks up the cup saying: "Poor baby, let me get that for you." The scene runs for less than five seconds but was enough to spark heated opinions from viewers. "Pixar you've lost our family's support. We don't support the sexualisation of children's movies or the sexualisation of society at large, and we will not be seeing this," Krystine Kercher said on Facebook. "It's a kids movie!! Won't be seeing this or allowing my kids to watch this bulls---. Do not give a damn what message they are preaching," another added. While some criticised the film's trailer others were pleased with the concept but were concerned that the two women were automatically stereotyped as being lesbians.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/finding-dory-may-be-first-disney...
 aln 31 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> At last, Disney recognises lesbianism, or does it?

What do you think?
OP Big Ger 31 May 2016
In reply to aln:

I think they've dipped their little toe in the water to gauge public reaction.
Helen Bach 31 May 2016
In reply to Big Gerk:
> homophobic...

Goes without saying really. Your long history of pointless, and poorly argued, posts also indicate that you hate (in no particular order): the poor, the homeless, immigrants (what nationality are you, and where do you live again?), women, the disabled, the mentally ill (especially ironic given your often claimed job) - basically anyone who isn't white, male, and middle-class.

We get that you are upset that your sector of society no longer gets all the attention you think it deserves, but your constant pointless whining really is pathetic.

As a general aside, I'm knocking up a quick plugin for Firefox to hide posts from a configurable list of individuals if anyone is interested.
Post edited at 06:02
 summo 31 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

rather than Alien vs Predator, there can be a kids version with Snow White hooking up with a girl from Frozen (don't know names).

Next they'll be expecting stunts to be clearly possible in the real world and tom cruise to not play characters were 6foot plus tall in the original books.
OP Big Ger 31 May 2016
In reply to Helen Bach:

> As a general aside, I'm knocking up a quick plugin for Firefox to hide posts from a configurable list of individuals if anyone is interested.

Oh I'd be very interested, it would be great to hide the posts from those with a total inability to debate the points, and an unquenchable obsession with attacking the person.
 JayPee630 31 May 2016
In reply to Helen Bach:
Well said. There's a few people on here who obvious think they're clever and with a edgy viewpoint, but actually come across as ignorant small minded bigots. And almost exclusively when you look at their profiles they're white middle aged men. Quelle surprise.

They seem think of themselves as some kind of wild free thinking climbing philosopher type, but actually sound more like a grumpy recently dumped Alan Partridge type.
Post edited at 07:05
 summo 31 May 2016
In reply to Helen Bach:

> Goes without saying really. Your long history of pointless, and poorly argued, posts also indicate that you hate (in no particular order): the poor, the homeless, immigrants (what nationality are you, and where do you live again?), women, the disabled, the mentally ill (especially ironic given your often claimed job) - basically anyone who isn't white, male, and middle-class.

to follow your trend of stereotyping, do you live in Brighton?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...