UKC

Nice belay :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 03 May 2016
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Crikey! It looks like she was tied into the wrong end of her rope.
 Andypeak 03 May 2016
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Im not even sure how that happened
 WaterMonkey 03 May 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:
I'm guessing she's climbing up to an overhanging roof and has previously fell from the roof and the rope is still clipped into all the draws.
Or somebody has climbed it on lead, clipped the rope up to the overhang and now she is top roping from the previously clipped rope.
Either way pretty stupid!
Post edited at 11:47
 ChrisBrooke 03 May 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

My guess is the leader got to the top, clipping the bolts in the usual way, and lowered off. The lady then top-roped the massively overhanging route on the end of rope the leader lowered off on, with nothing to stop the epic swing that she ended up taking. Lesson: on steep routes like this, the second should tie into the end that goes through all the clips, unclipping as they go, lest they fall and take a massive swing, potentially into the floor/walls/other people.
 Graeme Hammond 03 May 2016
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Fairly sure there was a massive thread about this video before. As others have said it looks like 2nding on the leaders end of the rope or top rope climbing a route that isn't suitable without the rope going through a few quick draws minimum. *Without knowing the full facts of the case* I would expect anyone capable of putting the rope up to know the risks/better and hope this person didn't get hurt badly as it looks far from funny unless it is a set up in which case it is even more irresponsible and looked close to quite a nasty injury if there wasn't one.
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

It just needs a few people stood on the mats and you could play giant table skittles.
 john arran 03 May 2016
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

I've ... ahem! ... heard, that it's possible to swing from the top of The Foundry 'Wave' and catch holds on the wall near the left side of the main wall. And then to let go and arrive back on the wave. Don't try this at home.
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> Fairly sure there was a massive thread about this video before.

Not massive, but...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=640648
 andrewmc 04 May 2016
In reply to Simon_Sheff:
I prefer to clip my end of the rope into a few quickdraws (and take the belayer's end of the rope out). On the routes I climb you usually only need to clip one or two quickdraws in for safety. I have a 70m rope and can't be bothered to pull the rope through. 70m is a bit excessive for indoors (at my centre) but it was super cheap and I am deliberately only using one end of it (theory being I can chop 20m off once it is knackered and have 50m left nearly unused).
Post edited at 22:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...