UKC

The "right to survival prevails over property".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Say 03 May 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36190557

Now; I think its nice to see a court dealing with 'justice' rather than 'the law'.

And nice to see support for the decision. I wonder if the judgement will start to get attacks as being 'anti-property'?
 Timmd 04 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

It's compassionate of them.
m0unt41n 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

It would be interesting to see what the verdict was if he had broken into someone's house and taken a bit of food.
 Gordonbp 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

What I find extraordinary, is that it's apparently illegal to take perfectly good food that's been thrown in the bin by supermarkets....absolute madness!
 Lord_ash2000 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

So whats the deal then? If you're hungry and have no money you can now just walk into shops and help your self?
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
> So whats the deal then? If you're hungry and have no money you can now just walk into shops and help your self?

I think the key bit is at the end where the court found the defendant was in a 'state of necessity' so they were applying a legal doctrine of necessity and concluding you could steal food in you needed it to survive.
Post edited at 15:24
OP Andy Say 05 May 2016
> So whats the deal then? If you're hungry and have no money you can now just walk into shops and help your self?

I think it's more than just being a bit peckish

And this WAS Italy. You just might find the quality of mercy a bit more strained if you're up before your local beak.
Post edited at 16:43
 Dax H 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Is it also fair play to steal money from someone then spend it on food?
Is it just faceless shop keepers that it's okay to steal from or does this apply to general members of the public.?
If someone liberates my lunch can I then liberate someone else's lunch?
In reply to Andy Say:

I think a lot of people, including the BBC journalist don't understand the issue. It isn't about being hungry, it is about finding a way to survive and I suspect the court recognised that the person involved was just trying to find a way to survive.
Jim C 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:
Not sure about Italy, but a lot of supermarkets here GIVE food to food banks to distribute to the hungry .

( our company supports a local one too, we can drop food of at work, and the company will pass it on to the food bank)
Post edited at 22:23
 krikoman 06 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Great story and a sensible decision.

Didn't some here get arrested for feeding a homeless person?
 Gordonbp 06 May 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> Not sure about Italy, but a lot of supermarkets here GIVE food to food banks to distribute to the hungry .

Does that include the Big 4? AFAIK it's still an offence to take perfectly edible food out of the bins at the back of a supermarket - which is why it's done at night! Sheer madness!
OP Andy Say 06 May 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I was quite impressed with the Lidl's in France this winter. As you went in a volunteer gave you a leaflet explaining what they were doing and invited you to add something to your trolley for donation (with suggestions about pasta, oil, lentils etc.). As you left the checkouts there was a collection point for food donations with volunteers to accept and box up the donations.

And no pressure.
OP Andy Say 06 May 2016
In reply to Dax H:

> Is it also fair play to steal money from someone then spend it on food?

> Is it just faceless shop keepers that it's okay to steal from or does this apply to general members of the public.?

> If someone liberates my lunch can I then liberate someone else's lunch?

.....I wonder if the judgement will start to get attacks as being 'anti-property'?........
 Phil1919 06 May 2016

What's the answer then? He obviously couldn't think of a better one. I'd be interested in what he could do to relieve his hunger, not what he couldn't.
 marsbar 06 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

I've seen quite a few tesco with donation boxes for non perishable items for food banks in the uk.
Jim C 06 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> I was quite impressed with the Lidl's in France this winter. As you went in a volunteer gave you a leaflet explaining what they were doing and invited you to add something to your trolley for donation (with suggestions about pasta, oil, lentils etc.). As you left the checkouts there was a collection point for food donations with volunteers to accept and box up the donations.

That was on at our local Asda a while back too. Not seen it since, but I understand that there are arrangements/ agreements with local food banks and Supermarkets , and as a result the waste of food should be reduced (meaning there is less to 'steal' on night raids. )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...