UKC

Flash and iOS - BBC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigBrother 03 May 2016
I saw someone recently saying that they didn't have flash installed on their pc any more and afaik flash isn't available on macs/ipads etc. I have just reinstalled windows and thought I would see whether I could cope without flash. The first site I tried was the bbc and all of their 'news' videos and live iplayer need flash. On demand iplayer seems to play ok. Youtube works and the 'news' videos on Sky worked.

That is about as far as my testing has gone so far but I think live iplayer would mean I couldn't continue without installing it.

It seems odd that a media company like the BBC would have so much of its content unavailable to Apple users. Is there a way around it?

I would rather not install flash but I think I will have to give in and do so.
In reply to BigBrother:

iOS has separate apps that don't need Flash for iPlayer. Google is making a push to get rid of Flash by limiting it's use in Chrome. It's definitely had it's day. UKC isn't accepting Flash adverts anymore.
JMGLondon 03 May 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

I thought the BBC were moving away from Flash.

On-demand programmes on iPlayer use the HTML5 player, which could well be their BETA player, so you don't need Flash for them. Looks like the rest of the content uses non-beta so Flash is required for now.

Luke90 03 May 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

They're phasing out the use of Flash but haven't made the leap to abandoning it yet. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/19d875b8-c966-465b-880a-e38c719...

For iOS devices, they've already been using non-Flash delivery methods but they serve up different versions to different devices so when you visit from a desktop computer you still get the Flash version.

Flash is definitely on its way out and I look forward to seeing it gone but we're not quite there yet.
 ben b 04 May 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

Flash can be installed on OSX (Macs) but not on iOS (iPads and iPhones); sadly I have to use Flash still but only under sufferance. Nasty insecure and vulnerable whilst consuming too much resource for comfort. Otherwise what's not to love?

B
OP BigBrother 04 May 2016
In reply to BigBrother: Thanks for the replies. I know the end of flash has been talked about for a long time and it will be great when it finally happens but I think it will be too inconvenient for me to drop it now.

I was just puzzled having tried living without it very briefly how all the apple users coped with ipads having been so popular for a long time now.

Dauphin 04 May 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

Mostly because the big sites are reconfigured for iOs and have been for some time. Its not ubiquitous yet, but I find little problem browsing on the ipad these days. If there is a problem with the ios and a flash site there is usually a dedicated app that gets around the issue. Most people (world wide) using the commercial internet are accessing via phones and tablets rather than a desktop OS, neither Google nor Apple support flash via their mobile devices so QED.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...