UKC

UAE to build a mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 04 May 2016
http://www.abudhabi2.com/uae-mulls-man-made-mountain-in-bid-to-improve-rain...

The UAE is currently in the initial stage of a man-made mountain development project as it is considering various approaches to maximize rainfall.

Arabian Business reports that Experts from the US-based University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), which manages the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) are in the “detailed modelling study” phase, as per NCAR scientist and lead researcher Roelof Bruintjes.

The agency is evaluating the effects of weather based on the type of mountain, it’s height and the slope and they expect to come up with the report of first phase this summer.

Scientists from the U.S.-based University Corporation for Atmospheric Research say they are now studying local climatology to determine the best location for and dimensions of the proposed mountain.

While it does not have experience in mountain-building, the UAE has successfully built an artificial lake — Lake Zakher, in the desert near the border with Oman.

If the project materializes, moist air from the Gulf could climb up the mountainside and cool, while seeding the clouds from aircraft with eco-friendly chemicals would help create much needed rain, changing the local climate.

Sounds like they're trying to become less reliant on aquifers and desalination. I'm unsure whether the plan (apart from the cloud-seeding) is a good idea or not...
Rigid Raider 04 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Cue a massive environmental disaster on the downwind side of said mountain as it extracts the moisture from the air creating a rain shadow.....
OP SenzuBean 04 May 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Cue a massive environmental disaster on the downwind side of said mountain as it extracts the moisture from the air creating a rain shadow.....

Reminds me of the Aral sea, but potentially even worse consequences.
 jkarran 04 May 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Cue a massive environmental disaster on the downwind side of said mountain as it extracts the moisture from the air creating a rain shadow.....

I don't suppose one more hill is going to make such a great difference and probably far less than all the aerosols coming off the gas fields and tankers plying the gulf.
jk
 1234None 04 May 2016
In reply to jkarran:

> I don't suppose one more hill is going to make such a great difference and probably far less than all the aerosols coming off the gas fields and tankers plying the gulf.

Having lived in the region for a while I think you're spot on with this.
 elsewhere 04 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
You could build a lot of solar powered desalination for the cost of a mountain.
In reply to SenzuBean:

If you did want to create a structure to deflect warm air upwards building a mountain seems an inefficient choice in terms of the amount of material required relative to the amount of air displaced. I'd have thought you'd want a structure which maximises the height and length and minimises the depth as far as possible consistent with sufficient strength.
OP SenzuBean 04 May 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

> You could build a lot of solar powered desalination for the cost of a mountain.

Very true. I suppose the benefit of a mountain would be that it's running costs could be a lot lower than a desalination plant (cleaning, maintenance).
If their models also do predict a rain shadow and it falls onto certain undesirable regimes, they might get additional funding from the US too. :/
In reply to SenzuBean:
As a former student of UEA I got quite excited about this thread. At last something to challenge Cromer Ridge as the King of the Norfolk Alps. The Cromer Ridge Mountain Rescue Team would welcome some more demanding terrain.
Then I noticed it was UAE. Sorry!
 jcw 04 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Total bollocks. Being taken for a ride again and they deserve it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...