UKC

Any update on Meteora?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 04 May 2016
Hi all,

Through a quick search I can only find info about the Petzl competition being banned by the Greek Archaeological Council.

There doesn't seem to be much other info around with regards to climbing still being allowed on the towers in the area. The forums shows up a few threads from last year so I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding climbing being allowed in the area or not.

This would be my first trip south of the UK since 2010, so was hoping to go somewhere fascinating, spectacular and ideally a little warmer than my present climate. Would be good to know if this is still an option or if I have to start looking at other destinations.
Andy Gamisou 04 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

You're probably best contacting locals regarding the real situation. In my experience with Greek culture there's a big difference between illegal (banned, forbidden, call it what you will) and actively being prevented from doing it. I'd recommend contacting Aris Theodoropolous in the first instance to find out the actual situation.

http://aristheodoropoulos.com/

For what it's worth my understanding is that only certain bits are affected, so all may not be lost.
 john arran 04 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

I know some people who were climbing there only last week, so there must be plenty to do. No idea about official status of anything though, sorry.
OP GarethSL 04 May 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

Thanks for that heads up! I'll drop him a message and see what his thoughts are on the situation there
 dan gibson 08 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

I'm heading there tomorrow for nine days, I'll let you know how I get on.

Dan
 clipper2 23 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Hi I am here now trying to figure out the weird detailed but badly drawn guide book !
Not many other climbers. Only seen one other team but no signs that it is banned. Camping Vrachos sell the guide books old and new.
OP GarethSL 23 May 2016
In reply to clipper2:

Thanks for the heads up!
 dan gibson 24 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Hi Gareth,
Just got back from Meteora, the climbing was great, no restrictions that I could see and a reasonable number of climbers about.
The guidebooks are quite difficult to understand at first, there's two volumes, the first has mostly the classics, and the second has the harder routes in between. There's also a few routes in the Rock Climbing in Greece select guide, mostly the sport bolted routes.
Some of the routes we did had big run outs on the easier climbing, quite scary at times. I pulled one stone out and landed on the belay.
The ambience is fantastic and even on the easier routes the exposure is impressive.
We split our time between here and Pyli, a sport crag about 45 mins drive away, which was also great. A good contrast to Meteora, steep tufa climbing.
Have a good time and drop me a message if you want any more info.

Dan
OP GarethSL 24 May 2016
In reply to dan gibson:

Ace, thanks for the update! I was completely intrigued by the protection on those conglomerates. Is it all bolted or a mixture?

Sounds like you had a good time and its nice to hear there is still a climbing scene there that's not illegal or something.
 dan gibson 24 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

It's pretty much all bolts though we did one route called 'Madness' which is a brilliant long corner which is sparsely bolted so a few nuts and medium cams is useful. A must do route at about E1 and 250 metres.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...