UKC

unlisted crag - where and how to list a first ascent ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thejackle 04 May 2016
Hi all,
im not sure if this is the right place to post but Im looking at climbing a rock formation in wales that has its own name as a crag would and appears to have routes up it (although weather I'm capable remains to be seen lol) Its unlisted on the log book here and I can't find any details on the web anywhere of ascents, routes etc.

I'm looking into the local guid books that cover the area and if there blank I'm just wondering if there is anywhere else someone may be listed ? is there some sort of governing body that records these details

thanks
 Andy Hardy 04 May 2016
In reply to thejackle:

For Wales the CC publishes the definitive guidebooks, so you could try filling this in http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/submit-new-route/

Andy Say 04 May 2016
In reply to thejackle:

What is the name. And where is it.
In reply to Andy Say:
Dinas Cromlech, it's in a little known welsh valley.
Post edited at 16:33
 Andy Say 04 May 2016
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
> Dinas Cromlech, it's in a little known welsh valley.

Do you mean Dinas y Gromlech?

Wasn't asking you.
Post edited at 16:49
In reply to Andy Say:

Do you have a sense of humour?
Doug Kerr 04 May 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:
Not having a dig at you however the words 'used to' should be inserted into your reply just for the simple sake of accuracy

> For Wales the CC publishes the definitive guidebooks
Post edited at 17:08
 Andy Say 04 May 2016

Yes. I'm hoping you do as well
 Matt Rees 04 May 2016

Little known? I know that crag. I've had my eye on a climb there for a while - I was going to call it "The Doors to the Cemetery" if I could get up it, but I'm worried the name's not snappy enough.

Good luck to the OP by the way...
 Andy Say 04 May 2016
In reply to Doug Kerr:

> Not having a dig at you however the words 'used to' should be inserted into your reply just for the simple sake of accuracy

Good, subtle, point! (You nerd) The sooner they buy out the Mynedd the better. But the vast majority of Welsh crags ARE in CC definitive guides.
 Andy Hardy 05 May 2016
In reply to Doug Kerr:

Interesting point, which areas are not covered by CC definitive guides in Wales?
 Andy Say 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Interesting point, which areas are not covered by CC definitive guides in Wales?

Crafnant and the N. Wales limestone for two. Gower down the other end.

Andy Hardy 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Crafnant and North Wales Limestone are out of print but have been published by the CC. Don't know about Gower.

FactorXXX 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Don't know about Gower.

Gower and South East Wales, is produced/published by the South Wales Mountaineering Club.
 Andy Say 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Crafnant and North Wales Limestone are out of print but have been published by the CC. Don't know about Gower.

Last Crafnant guide I've got is published by Mynnydd CC and is 1997!

And the only definitive North Wales guide right now is the 'On Sight' one. I remember a Rockfax but a CC guide within the last two decades......?

Oh. And 'Clwyd Limestone'. Never seen a CC guide covering that area.
 Andy Hardy 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> Last Crafnant guide I've got is published by Mynnydd CC and is 1997! [...]

I don't think there have been too many new routes put up there since then though (apart from the dry tooling and bouldering)
 mattrm 05 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Gower and South East Wales, is produced/published by the South Wales Mountaineering Club.

It's also about 13 years old. More recently a couple of locals produced Gower Rocks (selected) and there's the Rockfax guide that's apparently largely written (according to people who've seen the manuscripts) and is coming soon (tm). But then it's been out this summer for at least two or three years now. That'll also be selected I guess.

Finally, there's the SWMC wiki - www.swmc.org.uk/wiki - which is probably the closest you'll get to a definitive guidebook for the Gower and the South Wales valleys.

Doug Kerr 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> But the vast majority of Welsh crags ARE in CC definitive guides.

Sure the CC still have Welsh definitive guides in print (Meirionnydd etc) but lets' be honest it's at least 15 years since the CC had any sort of overall dominance in the Welsh definitive market but even then (as now) it was regionalised eg: Pembs but no Gower etc

Just when will we get new CC definitive guides to the Moelwynion, the Carneddau or Mid Wales?

To the OP, I very much doubt that your unlisted crag will ever feature in a Welsh CC definitive guide unless perhaps it falls within Tremadog, Ogwen, Cloggy or the Pass.
Doug Kerr 05 May 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Interesting point, which areas are not covered by CC definitive guides in Wales?

Gogarth North 2009
Gogarth South 2015
North Wales Limestone 2014
Llanberis Slate 2011
Clwyd 2015
Gower and SE Wales 2009

+Bouldering +Winter stuff (although hardly definitive)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...