UKC

iPhone 6S vs Suunto Ambit3 Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scott Anderson 04 May 2016
With digital mapping and compass I had visions of using my iPhone 6S as a GPS for the mountains, but after a slightly annoying time with the new phone (mainly it turning off when it's too cold...which is anything below 0C) I decided to look to other gadgets. I bought the suunto ambit3 Peak sapphire and have to say, what a nice watch!
One thing I've noticed though, when running side by side with the iPhone and memory map, I get variations between the readings. For instance after a hike to 600m and returning to 180m having set the reference before hand, I find the two devices can be 10-15m apart on return.
Grid reference is another variation, latitude they get pretty close, but long can be as much 0.5 out from each other.

Does anyone have any experience with this, which would be the more accurate reading?
 Denni 04 May 2016
In reply to Scott Anderson:

Had a similar problem with a Fenix and my iPhone.
So, calibrated my watch exactly to a contour line, walked up a couple of hundred metres then back down to the same point and the watch was fine but the phone was out by 12 metres.

Most watches I've had have been fine using them for altitude and I'd never trust the phone as I was told by a Suunto chap the watches were designed for this use whereas the phones are not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...