UKC

MSR Whisperlight repair kits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 05 May 2016
Does anyone know if the expedition whisperlight repair kit has a full set of replacement O-rings? Also I've been told carburettor cleaner is a good way to clean soot build up - does anyone have any other good tips or tried this?

Top tip - before going on a major expedition check your stove works, after being dropped off on a remote glacier is a rubbish place to find out all the O-rings have perished since you last used it!
OP ebdon 05 May 2016
In reply to ebdon:

No one used one of these?
OP ebdon 05 May 2016
In reply to ebdon:

Hurrah for the Internet! If anyone cares for future use a fulk spec of the kit is on the cascade designs website
 NottsRich 05 May 2016
 ad111 05 May 2016
In reply to ebdon:

I find a toothbrush cleans out the soot pretty well and that if you take out the O ring and give it a good clean things start working again.
 RR 05 May 2016
In reply to ebdon:

Interesting! I have never had a o-ring problem with either a Wisperlite or a Wipserperlite Universal and a XGK since the eighties. Used different fuels, never had an o-ring problem with MSR. What kind of fuel did cause o-ring problems? I did replace other pump parts (leathers and jets) as well used several tubes to oil the pump leather, but no o-rings.
In the old days Borde and Ende burners gave problems. Big flames and explosions. But Primus, Sigg and MSR never gave me o-ring problems.
Can you tell what caused the O-ring problem?
OP ebdon 06 May 2016
In reply to RR:

Not sure what caused the problem I hadnt used the stove since last summer when it was fine however upon dissasembly it transpired that almost all the o rings had completely perished fortunately we could replace most with my mates xgk kit. The stove is around 5 years old and I've used a variety of pretty dirty fuels in it including an extended period of kerosene and low octane dirty central asian petrol. Think I'll carry a full spares kit for future trips now!
In reply to ebdon:

We stock a pretty good selection of MSR spares at Needle Sports so you can just buy any of the O-Rings you need - no need to get a full repair kit if you don't need one. See http://www.needlesports.com/2761/stoves.aspx and select spares and MSR. If we don't have it, we'll try and get it for you.
 RR 06 May 2016
In reply to ebdon:

Thank you for answering. Makes sense to check the stove before a serious trip (to be honest I never did). The US and Canada are safe in a way, with whit-gas (no problems until now). But even for more remote trips to AK and in Canada it is wise to check your gear. Not being able to melt snow would mean be likely the end of a trip. I will check my stoves in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...