UKC

Recommend me a Yorkshire crag to take kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pbob 05 May 2016
Ok. Collective wisdom needed.

I'm after a crag to take my two of my kids (9 and 10) for some top roping. Ideally -

Fairly low so they don't scare too much
No loose stuff at the top
Easy to set up a top rope
Easy walk off
Some very easy 'routes' for kids

And most importantly is in Yorkshire and won't get busy on a sunny weekend.

Any thoughts?
 Nige M 05 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

Yorkshire is a big place, so it rather depends on where in Yorkshire you are based.

Wharncliffe (Black Slab area)
Slipstones (especially lower tier at right-hand end - tends not to be busy in summer)
Shipley Glen (right end has some "routes" that are good for kids)
Scugdale (all of it; can get "busy" though not like "Peak busy")
Crag Willas (boulders below crag)

High Crag (near Stump Cross Caverns - little chance of meeting another party here)

Yorkshire is full of many other out-of-the-way craglets that will suit your requirements.

OP Pbob 05 May 2016
In reply to Nige M:

Cheers Nige. I'll check out your suggestions. I'm in the East Riding so pretty central to all of Yorkshire but miles away from anywhere climbable.
In reply to Pbob:

alsmcliff low man.

short walk in, and classic low grade routes in a friendly setting. low man easy way, fluted columns, pinnacle flake climb all in the diff-severe range.

can get very busy though

or rylstone?

longer walk in, but president's slab might just be the best diff on grit. and there's dental slab, but the traverse at the bottom might be a bit harder to protect for the second on a single rope.

unlikely to be busy. a nice walk along the moor takes you to rolling gate with some more great low grade routes

brimhams got some nice low grade stuff in an idyllic setting, though nothing as good as the rylstone slabs at the grade I think

or sharp haw? for really short, easy routes on incredibly rough rock, and you wont see another soul...

cheers
gregor

Pete Pozman 05 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

I love Almscliffe but in my opinion it is a duff place for beginners. Many newcomers can't even get off the ground on Low Man Easy Way (which used to be a moderate!). Beginners need "ladders" really, and slabs. There are a couple at Brimham and Scugdale is a very good low crag, but, for me, I'd go to Burbage North where there are several marvellous Mods really near the car parking layby. And... it is actually in Yorkshire!
 Rich D 06 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

Burbage North, is a great call, but will be really busy on a sunny weekend. How about Lords seat (just past Simons seat) quite a tough walk in across the moors, but low, great quality gritstone, lovely setting, that's nearly always quiet. Some lovely boulders to play around on too, and you won't have to worry about hogging routes top roping.
 Pete Pozman 06 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:
Admittedly Burbage is almost always busy. Answer: get there early.
Oh... check the weather forecast; warm dull days in summer and the midges will give you an experience you'll never forget
Post edited at 09:48
 GrahamD 07 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

Not sure whether Hutton Roof just sneaks into Yorkshire
 Lankyman 07 May 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> Not sure whether Hutton Roof just sneaks into Yorkshire

It's in South Cumbria and about to feature again in the next Lancs guide (due out shortly, folks!). Lots of suitable stuff for kids but maybe a bit of a long haul from the other side of the Pennines?
OP Pbob 07 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

That's folks. Just got back from a fantastic day at Scugdale. Crackin' spot.
 Dan Mckinlay 08 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

Great to hear Pbob. I've used Brimham Cyclops, lovers leap and Cubic block area (though not actually on the block as its hard to get people down if they accidentally top out) as there are loads of good routes that anyone of any height can use. You can also just get them crawling through tunnels, up little slabs and loads of simple bouldering opportunities where they dont need a rope. They seem to enjoy this more especially on a cold day, and there is ice cream afterwards!
 Andy Say 08 May 2016
In reply to Dan Mckinlay:

> You can also just get them crawling through tunnels, up little slabs and loads of simple bouldering opportunities where they dont need a rope. They seem to enjoy this more especially on a cold day, and there is ice cream afterwards!

You force ice-cream down them on a cold day? I've always used ginger wine as a cold day reward
 LakesWinter 08 May 2016
In reply to Dan Mckinlay:

And Brimham seems pretty quiet these days - I was there yesterday and the only people we saw climbing trad were 3 friends of ours who we knew would be there...
 pebbles 09 May 2016
In reply to LakesWinter:

we were there saturday in glorious sunshine and only saw a pair of boulderers! there is a big sign on brimham rocks road though saying the road is closed, so I wonder if people are seeing that and deciding to go to caley or almscliff instead....
 Jimbo C 09 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

Brimham was my first thought. It gives you lots of options.
 CurlyStevo 09 May 2016
In reply to LakesWinter:
3 other people on all of those areas - that's unusually quiet IMO.
Post edited at 12:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...