UKC

Kids Harnesses 7 and 10 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 markAut 05 May 2016
Looking for harnesses for the kids. Both wear sit harnesses at the wall, but would like to get them kitted out for outdoors. Obviously if I only get one child a harness I'll never hear the end of it in the only way that (female) kids can. The 'kids harnesses' look to small, the oldest will be growing out of the size range very soon and I'd rather get something that they can wear out rather than grow out of.

Any suggestions which won't break the bank?
 Pbob 05 May 2016
In reply to markAut:

I just bought a Black Diamond Wiz kid harness from Go Outdoors for just over £20. Seems Ok. Fit's my 5 and 9 year olds Ok but a bit small on the legs for my ten year old. I'm using it with improvised chest harness. Adult style harness but kid sized.
OP markAut 05 May 2016
In reply to Pbob:

I looked at the Wiz, My daughter has a 26 inch waist which I thought was upper end for that harness. One growth spurt and she'll probably be out of it. Shame as it looks a great harness at a giveaway price.
In reply to markAut:
The regular (adult) sized DMM "Alpine" centre harnesses are massively adjustable - down to 16" waist - and may well be what you have used at the wall. They have a gear loop, and you can buy extra loops if needed. They are about £40.
Post edited at 23:11
OP markAut 05 May 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Cool. Will also have a look at them. Thanks.
 TobyA 05 May 2016
In reply to markAut:

The Simond basic one from Decathlon is cheap and super adjustable. My younger kid now uses this one http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5779 but we got the Simond one for the older child when he grew out of the Edelrid.
 Nordie_matt 06 May 2016
In reply to markAut:

My daughter (8 years old) uses an Edelrid Finn

http://www.v12outdoor.com/shopimages/products/extras/Edelrid_Finn_II_Oasis_...

Very happy with it so far, with lots of room to grow yet.

Previously I've worked with kids in the 11+ age range who have used petite women's harnesses from BD, and this seemed to work fine.

Hth, Matt
 Andrew Lodge 06 May 2016
In reply to markAut:

If it's any use as a short term solution I have an outgrown Black Diamond Wiz Kid harness.

Lodge Jnr has just grown out of it at 13! We've been expecting him to grow out of it for a while but at this age they just seem to get longer and don't get much wider.

In excellent condition, not furry or anything around the belay loop, a bit of ground in chalk as kids always use too much no matter what you tell them.

Open to offers, collection from Huddersfield or happy to post.
OP markAut 07 May 2016
In reply to markAut:

Many thanks for the replies everyone. Am now sorted. Youngest, with more stocky build, has a Togira Slide xs. Eldest is long and thin, so the Togira leg loops are too baggy. She is the proud owner of an xs Climb X Pilot which fits great.

Both harnesses look great and should have space for a few years of growing. After a day at Windgather they are reported to be very comfortable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...