UKC

Swanage - Elysium awaits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 05 May 2016

I have been for a good while now thinking about a certain E1 at Swanage - I'm sure that once I pull on it will be fine, but I just don't wanna blow it.
Sent me loads of good Karma over this weekend - a Swanage E1 such as this would be a cause for celebration indeed !

Let's hope

Would be so happy to be in a cider frenzy in the square and compass with it well behind me.
Post edited at 22:48
 joe.wahab 05 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

glhf!
 Kevster 05 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

I did it again a few weeks ago, it's a worthy adversary. Good luck, have fun and don't worry about the concequence of win or lose. The cliché of its about the journey, not the destination may well apply.
 jon_gill1 05 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

You'll soon be supping cider wondering what all the fuss was about!enjoy!
 jezb1 05 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

You'll cruise it.
 GrahamD 06 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

Just enjoy the climbing ! its a great route.
 Mick Ward 06 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

Mark, there's more undying classics (at doable grades) in the UK than you or I will ever have time to get on. I've left loads of stuff for decades, thinking I wasn't good enough. If I'd gone on 'em, sure, I'd probably have blown some - that's just the way it is for all of us. But what about the ones I'd have cruised, what about all those golden memories I'd have now?

Just give it your best shot - that certainly worked a treat on Cemetary Gates.

And loads, loads, loads of good karma!

All best wishes,

Mick
 Pete 06 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

I probably did the third ascent of this around 1968/9. At that time it felt like an amazing achievement. I have probably, over the years, since then, done it another seven or eight times. I have always enjoyed it. It is a brilliant route, a great line and one of the best E1's around in the south-west. Save some strength in your left hand for that little finger hold on the crux an don't underestimate that ferocious little groove exiting on to the finish of Lighting Wall. Best of luck.
 Fatclimber 06 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

Go get it Mark.
 Robin Woodward 06 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:
Whatever you do, don't start heading right onto the face after the roof/second corner because you think the holds look better and you didn't think about looking at the route description passed this point. They're not better and in fact two of them came off, much to the amusement of my climbing partners who just let me carry on for a while before telling me that that was the finish of the E5.
Post edited at 10:10
 The Ivanator 09 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

So what happened this sunny weekend, your Facebook photos have more of a Winspit and Subluminal (?) look about them - did you get into the Ruckle and tackle the big E?
 Al Evans 10 May 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick, totally agree, I always left Tophet Wall to do in my dotage, now I doubt I'll ever do it
 Owen W-G 10 May 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

I've done it twice. First time felt easy. The second hard. Leave until afternoon, after the heat has died down.

Crux is the cracky bit below the roof. Bomber gear I recall?

Steep corner bit up around R of roof is all bomber too and keep bridging.

All major difficulties over by half height so you can enjoy the finish.

Never get too hung up by success or failure. Treat the two imposters like Lemmy treats winning some and losing some. Onsights may be like virginities, but I often find subsequent successes after initial failures to be more elating that the onsight.
 Mick Ward 10 May 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Hey Al, don't say that, I've always wanted to do Tophet Wall; we can do it together.

It ain't over till it's over - and the fat lady sings. And (for us) she ain't sung yet.

Keep the fire burning!

All best wishes,

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...