UKC

brimham roadworks - avoid signed diversion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pebbles 06 May 2016
If your heading westwards to brimham from the harrogate/york direction, beware the diversion at brimham rocks road. The signposted diversion is lunatic and takes you all the way to pately bridge, which is miles longer out of the way. Its not neccesary -the closed section can be completely avoided by turning off rightwards towards brimham at summer bridge instead. or alternatively, go via ripon or brimham rocks cottages. I have no idea what was going through their heads when they decided on the diversion route but I assume it may have been tumbleweed and fluff.
 Mark1800 06 May 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I'm not sure about the specifics of this case, but it appears you might not be familiar with the general process of creating a diversion route. It probably wasn't "tumbleweed and fluff" running through their heads, they will have merely been following perfectly sensible regulations.

There are two constraints to creating a diversion route. The new route has to have enough capacity to support all of the extra traffic (the diversion can't use roads of a lower classification that the closed road, e.g. if you close a B road, you can't use a C road for the diversion) and it has to be accessible enough (wide enough/no tight bends/no weight limits/no steep hills etc.) that any traffic which would have gone down the closed road can make it around the diversion route.

If you're a car user with local knowledge (or a map) there will often be a more appropriate route, but that doesn't mean the diversion is incorrect.

(or at least this is my understanding, happy to be proved wrong)
OP pebbles 06 May 2016
In reply to Mark1800:
I knew someone would be along to disagree.
Look. I know the road well. The road from summerbridge and brimham rocks road are of equivalent size. So if brimham rocks road was adequate, so is the road from summerbridge. Both roads are of similar character ie windy country roads with some hills and slopes. neither are ever very busy.
The diversion via pately bridge adds an extra seven miles to the journey. A diversion via summerbridge adds one mile.
There is no well thought out logic here, its just that the person planning the diversion didnt know the area very well and couldnt be arsed to find out. Or has fluff and pixies floating round their brain.
Post edited at 14:37
OP pebbles 06 May 2016
In reply to Mark1800:

ps: hello mark . I'v clocked who you are now .
 Mark1800 06 May 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Ah its pebbles! Yes I didn't realise who you are originally either, although that doesn't change my position.

I'm sure you know the roads reasonably well but if the Harrogate engineers are anything like the ones at Thirsk, you would be amazed by their broad and detailed knowledge of the road network.

After a quick journey around on Google maps it turns out the road from summer bridge has a 7.5tonne weight limit, a 1 in 5 hill and is off-limits to busses. None of which the original road have. Of course this is only one of the alternatives you suggested but I've not got the time to figure out what is wrong with the other routes - it's time for a BBQ and then a trip to Gogarth
OP pebbles 06 May 2016
In reply to Mark1800:
or mine (this is UKC after all) .
the original brimham rocks road is a potholed country lane with overhanging tree tunnels and single track sections. no way would you drive a lorry or bus down it. it also has a nice tight almost right angled bend and a deep dip into a hollow (where you occasionally get ambushed by deer). So my suggestion to anyone heading to Brimham is still dont go via the signed diversion all the way to Pately Bridge! turn off at summerbridge or go via ripon or brimham rocks cottages is quicker (unless you happen to be driving your lorry to the crag). Enjoy your barbie and Gogarth!
Post edited at 16:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...