UKC

Any engineers out there? Home wall question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Trebus 06 May 2016
Hi,

The background:
I am designing a big shed and I would like to build a moonboard in it. The shed will be split in 2 with one half storage and the second a garden room with the woody in it. I know that the easiest option would be to have a fixed structure, but needs to fold up to make the space more usable.

My idea is to have the moonboard hinged at the top of the kickboard and also the equivalent point as the height of the wall. The top section would have a length of scaffold bar that slides along metal channel on each side bolted to the shed frame. I would have a winch to fold it up and I think body weight would be enough to unfold.

The question:
When folding the board into a vertical position, the top bar will be moving along the steel channels, but would having them horizontal cause the bar to jam? I am just trying to work out the bars motion and what angle it should be at.

Many thanks, Al
 CasWebb 06 May 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

If I've understood your plan correctly then no the bar wouldn't jam as it is free to move in the vertical axis so isn't constrained to moving in an arc or any other particular plane.
 planetmarshall 06 May 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

> My idea is to have the moonboard hinged at the top of the kickboard and also the equivalent point as the height of the wall. The top section would have a length of scaffold bar that slides along metal channel on each side bolted to the shed frame. I would have a winch to fold it up and I think body weight would be enough to unfold.

One point to note is that from my understanding, current planning regulations for outbuildings limit the height of the eaves to 2.5m and the total height to 4m ( for a dual-pitched roof). Since the moonboard requires a total height of 3.15m, you may want to factor this into your calculations if you have not already done so.
OP Mr Trebus 06 May 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Thanks Cass, that is what I thought, but it has been a long time since high school physics.

@ Marshall. The design has a double pitched roof with the back eaves at 2.5m and the front at 3m. 3m is permitted in Scotland as long as it is more than 1m from a boundary.

Cheers again.
 jkarran 06 May 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:
I'm probably being a bit slow but I'm not clear exactly where and why you plan to hinge the wall.

The hinge at the kickboard I understand, the allusion to another hinge line has lost me, is this because the total height of the wall when stowed upright is greater than the height available in which case a second hinge line is needed so the top slice of the wall stows up against the ceiling with the mid-section stowing vertically against the wall?

A 'moon board' is a flat 30deg panel atop a kickboard, right? Personally I'd build something more flexible/creative to maximise use of the space if I were going to the trouble of a moving wall with multiple hinge lines (in which case the roof slider is a good idea) but if you want a simple moon board that stows I'd build it light (no winch) and have both mobile panels simply hanging from chain. Position them right and it'll hang where you want it stowed and deployed.
jk
Post edited at 13:52
OP Mr Trebus 06 May 2016
In reply to jkarran:

I see your point but climbing on chained boards feels like being at go ape and would be a lot more faff to use and clear away.

The design means the board could be used at any angle between vertical and 30 off, it is just that the climb would be shorter due to hight restrictions.
 jkarran 06 May 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:
> I see your point but climbing on chained boards feels like being at go ape and would be a lot more faff to use and clear away.

That's not been my experience. Done right when deployed and when you're climbing on it the chains are always in tension, nothing can swing or sway.

edit: I think I see the potential confusion. When I said simply hanging from chain I didn't mean to imply getting rid of the hinge lines which tie the panels together and to the kick-board.

> The design means the board could be used at any angle between vertical and 30 off, it is just that the climb would be shorter due to hight restrictions.

Sorry, I'm still a bit lost but good luck with it, it sounds like you know what you want to build.
jk
Post edited at 15:06
 Dandan 06 May 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

A moon board is 40 degrees from the vertical, and is also 3.6 metres long which means that when put in a vertical position on top of the kickboard, the whole thing will be around 3.9 metres high, not including the thickness of any flooring, thats a bit beyond your 3 metre limit, might be worth taking into consideration. I'm sure you could build something very similar but a full moon board could be a bit oversize.
 Rob Kennard 07 May 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

I did something similar once on a build (the wall hinged up against the wall). It sounds like what you are designing is quite complicated - I had a short section at the top of the wall that was fixed ( no more than 20cm) . The hinged part then 'fell' against it, and was secured with a couple of window security bolts when in position to prevent it rattling when climbing).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...