UKC

Wild camping before marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PatrickG007 07 May 2016

Hi all,
I'm doing Edinburgh marathon at end of May and considering wild camping near to the city the night before and catching train in for 10am start.
Has anyone done similar and what were your experiences? And any suggestions / recommendations?
It's my third marathon - first at Edinburgh.
TIA
Post edited at 17:42
 london_huddy 07 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007:

I camped before my first OMM and had a rotten night's sleep and wasn't on my game at all the next morning: really good sleep is essential for me before a big event like a marathon.

Good luck with the run - I did it five years ago and it's a good course and a nice event (although a bit of a trek back from the race course if that's still the finish)
 dale1968 07 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007: I camped for the Snowden marathon, it was horrendous the tent flooded, the wind was howling like a train was going by all night long, so no sleep. Got to the start to find it had been cancelled for the first time in the events history. Got a full fry up then tried to get home past all the fallen trees....
 solostoke 07 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007:

I wild camp before races quite often and don't have a problem. If you camp often and always sleep well then you probably won't have a problem. Imo it depends how experienced you are, how good your equipment is (as well as using it correctly) and how well you normally sleep in that situation.
 goatee 07 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007:

I have wildcamped several times before races. The first time before the Burren marathon and it went really well. The second time before the same race I had a bad sleep and it showed. I'd say go for it. It adds to the whole experience (for me anyway) unless of course you are really competitive and trying for your best ever time etc.
 dale1968 07 May 2016
In reply to solostoke: in October 2002 you would have not slept barely a wink, everyone else had sensibly booked into hotels, seven people died that night and the winds were well in excess of 100mph barrelling down llanberis pass
 Neil Williams 07 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007:

TBH I'd go for a hotel - when that tired (afterwards) I want a bit of luxury!
PatrickG007 07 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007:

Thanks all! I'll look into this and give it some serious consideration. Time to order ordnance survey map and then figure out somewhere to stay thats near a station that will get me to the race by 9am. Cheers
 Ally23 08 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007:

Use the pent land hills, a short walk from Hillend ski slope to a bus stop that will get you city center in 20 min
Andy Gamisou 08 May 2016
In reply to PatrickG007:

If you really are 007 then I would have thought they'd let you camp in the grounds of Fettes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...