UKC

Giro thread (with spoilers)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 08 May 2016
Rather dull so far with Kittel's dominance but plenty of time for it to kick off.
 abr1966 08 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I don't know why but I just can't take to Kittel....although I can't see anyone getting near him at the moment. It should liven up when the Giro gets to Italy!!
 Chris the Tall 08 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Kittle has now won 4 giro stages, but has yet to ride as a pro in Italy.
 balmybaldwin 08 May 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

What he win's the "grand depart " stages and then withdraws/crashes?
OP DaveHK 09 May 2016

That's an interesting statistic. I'm sure it will soon change.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

2014 (Dublin) was the only other one he's started and he retired ill before it reached Italy.
OP DaveHK 15 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> That's an interesting statistic. I'm sure it will soon change.

Or maybe not.

Interesting results today with the rain.
 Chris the Tall 17 May 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Having finally won an monument, Sky seems to gone to pot in stage races. Meanwhile Etiix seem to be redeeming themselves after a disastrous classic campaign.
 nniff 17 May 2016

going even worse for them now.....

Is their best bet stage wins or trying to get Nico Roche some time back?
In reply to nniff:

Has to be stage wins - Roche already too far back
 nniff 17 May 2016

I think so too - they didn't feature at all today.

I do like it when a youngster from a small team does well - the winner today must be the happiest man in Europe.
In reply to nniff:

> I do like it when a youngster from a small team does well - the winner today must be the happiest man in Europe.

Agree with that, likewise with Bob Jungels taking the magical rose (too tired to correct the auto correct)

Meanwhile it gets worse for Sky - reports that Pete kennaugh has broken his collarbone in California
 Mike Highbury 18 May 2016
> Having finally won an monument, Sky seems to gone to pot in stage races. Meanwhile Etiix seem to be redeeming themselves after a disastrous classic campaign.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landa-open-to-riding-for-froome-at-tour-de-...

After his fun with Aru last year, here's to a repeat of Froome / Wiggins.
 Chris the Tall 18 May 2016

More likely he's knows he's blown his shot at GT leader and needs to re-establish his place in the pecking order. Plus PK's injury and Henao's problems means there are a couple of vacancies to fill. Then again Froome has looked a bit below his best so far, so maybe he is a viable Plan C (after Thomas).

Wonder if Thomas will get his chance at the Vuelta or next year's Giro ?
OP DaveHK 18 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Great racing today and the GC is wide open. Who'll come good and who'll fall away? I don't know how well Jungels climbs but the human coat hanger (Kruijswijk) is looking good.
 Chris the Tall 19 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Yesterday was expected to be a quiet day and sprint finish - yet all the GC guys were up and battling at the end. Almost 2 weeks in, plenty of action, and we are still no nearer knowing who will win. I suspect Jungels and Amador will drop away - they may have taken time on their rivals yesterday, but that's an indication that they aren't considered too big a threat - they were battling for the right to wear the maglia rosa for a couple of days. If Saturday doesn't kill them, Sunday will !

That said, the longer Amador can stay in contention, the better for Valverde and the more Nibbles is getting wound up. I get the impression that he is prone to throwing petulant tantrums and doesn't have much support from his team mates anymore.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-nibali-questions-valverdes-rel...

Don't really want to see either Valv or Nibbles win, but not convinced Chaves, Majka and Kruijswijk will be able to match them in the final week
 Chris the Tall 20 May 2016

Looks like another interesting stage today - Sky looking for a stage win, Jungels making a brave effort to hang on in Pink, Amador likewise to be the one to take it off him. Just wish that ITV (or C4, or BBC) did a highlights show - the 3 min highlights package simply isn't enough
 tim000 21 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

the giro has finally kick off . great viewing.
OP DaveHK 22 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> but the human coat hanger (Kruijswijk) is looking good.

It's not often I get it right!
 Mike Highbury 24 May 2016
> Don't really want to see either Valv or Nibbles win, but not convinced Chaves, Majka and Kruijswijk will be able to match them in the final week

I may have mentioned before how much I love Valverde....
 Chris the Tall 24 May 2016

I have a lot of admiration for him, just a piti about his past. Looks like he will complete his set of GT third places.

Looks like a decisive day today, proof that no matter how good the team is, you still need a rider who can finish it off. Starting to wonder if Nibbles will abandon and claim he is saving himself for the tour ?
> Looks like a decisive day today, proof that no matter how good the team is, you still need a rider who can finish it off. Starting to wonder if Nibbles will abandon and claim he is saving himself for the tour ?

Even Nibali must realise he's not the man that he was in 2013 and, 2014 to a lesser degree.

But it would be funny if his team thinks, what the hell? His contract's up at the end if the year, let's have him ride in support of Aru.

I'm not convinced Aru would want him in support, much like Froome and Wiggins. I think he lost the support of his team with his antics at the tour and vuelta last year, and with Aru coming through they don't need him any more.
> I'm not convinced Aru would want him in support, much like Froome and Wiggins. I think he lost the support of his team with his antics at the tour and vuelta last year, and with Aru coming through they don't need him any more.

Well, no, of course not; Aru's only just got rid on Landa, after all.

His gain is Froome's loss ? Actually I think that Landa will be keen to work in the tour, he's likely to be behind Konig and Thomas in the pecking order now.
 Chris the Tall 25 May 2016

> Even Nibali must realise he's not the man that he was in 2013 and, 2014 to a lesser degree.

Think I've been a bit harsh on Nibbles. From what I can gather he put in a lot of effort early on trying to attack SK, and paid for it on an absurdly fast stage. Did well to limit his losses and is not known for quitting races. Likewise Chaves was unlikely to miss the break, came close to bridging on several occasions, but didn't get much help (apart from the very impressive Jungels) and faded. Canny stuff from Valv to take the stage and time.

Heard some interesting stuff from Dan Friebe on a podcast last night regarding the snow threat to Fri and Sat stages - speculation that the decision on whether to go ahead would be based more on whether Nibbles needs to make big time gains rather than the state of the roads. Apparently back in the 80s they used old photos of snow blocked roads to cancel the stage and preserve Moser's lead over Fignon - don't you miss the good old days ?
 Chris the Tall 27 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

It ain't over til it's over !! Sounds like a dramatic day today
 Chris the Tall 27 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

The greatest comeback since Lazarus.

Or Landis ?
xyz 28 May 2016

What an AMAZING Giro which was the best GT race for a good few years IMO real seat of your pants stuff with a nail biting finale.

with respect to:

"The greatest comeback since Lazarus.

Or Landis ?"

Did Nibs attack 4 climbs from the end like Landis? Did he do it solo? No and No. He attacked on the penultimate climb with help from his teammates, one up the road. Classic move from a stronger team.
 abr1966 28 May 2016
In reply to xyz:

I can't help but be suspicious....especially with all the 'had his blood tested' press releases all week. Chapeau to the guy if it's clean though...
 Chris the Tall 28 May 2016
In reply to xyz:

Yep, brilliant race, thrilling finish, and whilst we've had a few GTs where the lead has changed hands in the final days, I can't remember any one which has seen 3 different leaders in the last week, let alone 3 on the last 3 proper stages.

Incredible yes, but is it unbelievable?

Ok the comparisons with Landis are way out - we're just talking a minute or so, not ten. I think Nibbles weakness in the first 2 weeks was exaggerated, maybe due to high expectations by a partisan home media. He was still 4th, and may have been 2nd had he not had that mechanical on the TT. And he lost more time on a very short but ridiculously fast stage. Valverde is a fading force, hampered by a known issue with high altitude, whilst Chaves and Kruiswijk were inexperienced and with weak teams. We may not have predicted how the last 2 days would pan out, especially SK's crash, but we shouldn't be too surprised that Nibbles kept going when others cracked. The others lost it as much as he won it.

BUT, he rides for a dodgy team, and more crucially employs a dodgy doctor with a very dodgy past. I simply can't understand why the personal doctor of Marco Pantani has not been investigated and still allowed anywhere near a cycling team.

We shouldn't assume someone is doping just because they win a race - but we shouldn't forgot that the sport's dark days were only a few years ago and many of the facilitators are still involved.
xyz 29 May 2016

I agree with everything you wrote - very nicely put!

OP DaveHK 29 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I try really hard to take all performances at face value. What's the point in watching otherwise? I just can't quite manage it with some riders and teams.
 Chris the Tall 29 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Nibbles has now revealed (or claimed....) he had dysentery last weekend, which affected him last weekend ( before and after the rest day). In a more naive, less cynical era, we would all believe this story and add it to the pantheon of legends that make up the fascinating history of the sport. And his story is credible - and in end all the riders had at least a couple of bad days each (as you'd expect) and the end result wouldn't have raised any eyebrows 3 weeks ago - if anything we'd have expected the margins to be bigger.

But, when you have a DS like vino, a doctor like Magni, a teammate like Scarpone.......
OP DaveHK 30 May 2016

>
> But, when you have a DS like vino, a doctor like Magni, a teammate like Scarpone.......

Exactly. I remember when we were told that Riis' performance gains were down to him skipping lunch to lose weight.

It just shows how critically damaged the sport of cycling is and will continue to be while cheats manage teams.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...