UKC

What time does pen-y-pass carpark fill up & Crib goch get busy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 09 May 2016
Hello ... I intend on walking Crib Goch on Friday - weather permitting - plan on getting to P-y-P car park for about 8am - can anyone from the area give me the exact odds of it being full at that time please?!

Also, I've seen photo's of Crib Goch reminiscent of the "traffic jam on Everest" photos - when is it likely to get like that?

Maaany thanks for answering my inane questions if you have the patience.
 Simon Caldwell 09 May 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

Best way to miss the crowds (except at the summit) is to do it clockwise.
Can't answer the parking question, I'm allergic to paying £10 so walk up from the Pen Y Gwryd - not too bad, especially now there's a good path.
 climbwhenready 09 May 2016

You might be OK on a Friday. But at a weekend, the car park would be full by that time!
OP elliot.baker 09 May 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Hi, thanks for the info, re: Pen Y Gwryd, I'm guessing you just park at one of the lay by's near the hotel but this "good path" you speak of... is it just a pavement by the A4086 or is there a path off the road? I can see a path on the ViewRanger GPS app just on the south side of the road - is this it? I'm at work, not got proper map with me.

I'd probably drop my gf off at PyP then park at PyG and run back its only a mile or so on the map, save a tenner for a 10 minute jog haha!
 Andy Say 09 May 2016

> Best way to miss the crowds (except at the summit) is to do it clockwise.

I bet they love you on Via Ferrattas......
 TomGB 09 May 2016

there is a decent off road path from the PyG to PyP which no bugger ever uses! Beats tramping up the road
 Andy Say 09 May 2016
> this "good path" you speak of... is it just a pavement by the A4086 or is there a path off the road?

There is no pavement on the A4086 and the multitudes walking up there always risk death by Range Rover.

Loads of people miss the path because you actually 'go the wrong way' to find it down towards the Gwynant for a few metres from the crossroads. Its well signposted if you look. Shame 'cos it cost a few bucks to build.

Removed User 09 May 2016

Easily full by 8, maybe ~8:30 if it's not a great day. You can sometimes park at Cromlech Boulders around 8:15 but it's quite rare.

Parking at Nant Peris and getting the bus or a taxi up is pretty quick and cheap. 2 quid for a taxi ride up beats the walk.

> I'm guessing you just park at one of the lay by's near the hotel

If you're feeling really stingy you can drive a few hundred yards towards Capel Curig, just over the bridge, to after the "clearway" signs, the you don't have to pay anything But the laybys by the PyG are something like £4 I think which isn't so unreasonable.
J1234 09 May 2016
I have shamefully never done Crib Goch not even been to the top of Snowdon or Yr Wydffa, but my days of tramping Lakeland Fells would suggest setting of at 3pm. Quieter catch , the sun going down and possibly just a nicer light, and I would thought the parking would start clearing as early birds depart. Just a thought
Post edited at 16:12
OP elliot.baker 09 May 2016
In reply to Lenin:

I like your style Lenin but I prefer to go for the option that results in the most light being available if the old **** hits the fan in any way - not that it ever has yet.

From this thread I've decided to get there for 7.30am now anyway, if it's full then I'll head back to PyG. If that's full then I'll head down to Nant Peris and get a taxi. The Sherpa doesn't appear to run til 9ish on a Friday.

Thanks all!
 Andy Say 09 May 2016

> If you're feeling really stingy you can drive a few hundred yards towards Capel Curig, just over the bridge, to after the "clearway" signs, the you don't have to pay anythin

You are then in Conwy rather than Gwynedd
 AntC 09 May 2016

Park at Cromlech, slog up Cwm Glas Mawr and go up the north ridge of Crib Coch, join the main ridge , continue over Crib y Ddysgl to Garnedd Ugain summit. Follow the ridge line north (keeping above Llanberis path and railway) and descend down Cwm Glas spur / Gyrn Las ridge (mainly walking with easy bits of grade 1 scrambling) back into Cwm Glas Mawr.

Avoids the crowds, and the parking costs. If you really want to do the East ridge then bus from Nant Peris or Llanberis is best option.
In reply to AntC:

A fine route, but misses out Lliwedd which is one of the best bits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...