UKC

hard wearing synthetic approach shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 09 May 2016
Are there any genuinely hard-wearing non-leather approach shoes out there? Something tougher than Guide Tennies canvas, for example - which I really like, but are wearing out after little more than a year.
 SenzuBean 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Are there any genuinely hard-wearing non-leather approach shoes out there? Something tougher than Guide Tennies canvas, for example - which I really like, but are wearing out after little more than a year.

What kind of wear are yours getting?
OP bpmclimb 09 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
The uppers are getting tattered and a bit floppy from abrasions, and the glue has failed in places on the rubber rand, especially around the toe. They're still useable, but not for long, I suspect.

If you meant to ask what I'm doing in them - some easy routes, walk-ins and scrambles, instructing at crags, running group abseils.
Post edited at 16:51
 SenzuBean 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

> The uppers are getting tattered and a bit floppy from abrasions, and the glue has failed in places on the rubber rand, especially around the toe. They're still useable, but not for long, I suspect.

> If you meant to ask what I'm doing in them - some easy routes, walk-ins and scrambles, instructing at crags, running group abseils.

I just wondered what you meant by wear (I've got the same shoes). If it was my shoes, I'd potentially treat the upper with a wax coating (g-wax for example), and re-glue the rand with McNett's shoe repair (using many wraps of cling-film to hold the now-glued rand down as the glue cures). I've done both to other shoes to get them to last longer.
 HeMa 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Arc'Teryx offerings? Spendy, though.
 zimpara 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've certainly not had much luck with synthetics. Scarpa cruxs work brilliantly for me.
Buy a new pair of guides? £70 a year isn't particularly desperate is it? Tax write off too. Are the Mammut wall guides mens same leather as the womens?
OP bpmclimb 09 May 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Are the Mammut wall guides mens same leather as the womens?

Just had a look. Uppers: velours /leather. Looks like a robust shoe, as far as you can tell from a photo.
 zimpara 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:
I've fingered the womens in shop. Very nice indeed!
Post edited at 18:38
In reply to bpmclimb: I'm pretty impressed with the durability of my Adidas Terrex.
Certainly, they have lasted at least as long as any others I can remember and a lot longer than my most recent Evolv and Scarpa pairs.
In reply to zimpara:

> I've fingered the womens in shop. Very nice indeed!

Blimey, didn't she mind?
OP bpmclimb 09 May 2016
In reply to HeMa:

> Arc'Teryx offerings? Spendy, though.

They look interesting. Usual problem, though: can't find a local store that stocks them.
 neuromancer 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Pair of inov8 trail running ahoes?
 TobyA 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Think the approach shoes have the inner boot design as well, in which case read http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7890 How hot your feet get in the boots is a real limiting factor with them I find.
 galpinos 09 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

As someone who has thought the word harvesting applied to Inov8s, I can only assume you've never had a pair?
 neuromancer 10 May 2016
In reply to galpinos:
Good England.
Post edited at 06:15
 galpinos 10 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:
Ha! Why do I try posting when tired from my phone.

As someone who loves Inov8s (mulitple Mudclaws over the years, I've a pair of Talon 212s on their last legs and a new pair of the Mudclaw 300s on the go at the moment) I would say that they'd not live up to the hard wearing requirements of the OP. If he destroyed a pair of canvas tennies in 12 months, you'd probably be looking at 6 for the inov8s.....
Post edited at 08:10
In reply to bpmclimb:

Scarpa Zen Lite GXT? I recently got a pair half-price (£65) from GoOutdoors. Can't yet comment personally on durability but they have the same chassis as the Scarpa Zen - which are reported to be pretty bombproof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...