UKC

Mary Towneley loop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 10 May 2016
Me and two friends are going to do it next weekend and would be grateful of any tips and suggestions - Any places not to start/finish? Any notable pubs or sights to visit on the way? What sort of terrain to expect and tyre suggestions?
 Palmer 10 May 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

Hi I did it a couple of months back started from Hebden Bridge. didnt see many sites as it was grim weather and i wanted to get back before dark. terrain is mixed slabbed bridal ways, concrete access roads bumpy old cobbled roads, land rover tracks grass and mud nothing overly technical but steep in a few places. tyre wise i did it on a cross bike with 35C tyres. a set of fast rolling XC tyres would be ideal for most of it.
 The New NickB 10 May 2016

Where are you travelling from? Starting at Rooley Moor was a couple of advantages, firstly it's 3 miles from junction 20 of the M62 and secondly, if you are travelling clockwise, you pass a couple of reasonable pubs at around 30 miles in (Top Bink and Shepherd's Rest).
OP The Potato 10 May 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Chorley direction, thanks
 Albert Tatlock 10 May 2016
Done it a couple of times ,the number of horse gates on the Whitworth to Gorple section is a pain due to the stop start of opening them if there are only a couple of you.

I start from Whitworth and go clock wise which feels easier

The Pack Horse at Widdop does good value food / Thwaites beer
Post edited at 22:00
 thedatastream 11 May 2016

I started from Widdop and went clockwise when I did it, worked out fine. Nothing super technical and only one push up hill.

http://jptds.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/mary-towneley-loop.html

My bike has Schwalbe Smart Sam fitted which are pretty fast rolling but with enough grip. It was a dry day with very few muddy bits.
 PGD 11 May 2016

I used to ride it of a hardtail and xc tyres. Nothing technical just a good general track with variety.
OP The Potato 11 May 2016

Thanks all looking forward to it
OP The Potato 17 May 2016

we went anti clockwise from Waterfoot, nice dry trails, two friends were a little slow on the hills but that gave me chance to take some photos. Great ride with plenty of variation in terrain, although far far too many gates!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...