UKC

Any motorcyclists out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 10 May 2016
Just wondering, do many climbers ride?

I have a GSXR1000 (my new toy)
 LastBoyScout 10 May 2016
In reply to treforsouthwell:

SV650s. Must book MOT
 solostoke 10 May 2016

Ducati 900gts
Ccm 644ds
Yamaha FZR400RRSP
Yamaha FZ 400
Honda VFR400 nc30

She made me get rid of the rest something about how many bikes/hobbies do you need
 Rob Laird 10 May 2016
Bandit 600
Post edited at 22:48
 Big Ger 10 May 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> SV650s. Must book MOT

Ditto. Though we don't have any MOT tests out here.
 Roguevfr 11 May 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

VFR750. Red, naturally.
 John Ww 11 May 2016

Africa Twin 750
VFR 750 (also in mandatory red)
CRM 250.

The latter two are for sale by the way

JW
 Mooncat 11 May 2016
In reply to solostoke:

Nice collection of 400's especially the NC30.
 Oceanrower 11 May 2016

Daytona 955i
 Dax H 11 May 2016

Currently a Triumph Explorer.
 Oogachooga 11 May 2016

Climbing and riding, lovely combination!

Virago xv535 daily ride and starting a gixxer 750 Wormburner chopper build
 Cheese Monkey 11 May 2016
Gsx750 Inazuma is currently my daily bike. Bit worse for wear after a countryside lie down last week due to not spotting gravel all over a bend and ending up high siding it. No big deal, only needed an engine case to get back to commuting standard, dont look good though. Intend on tidying it up with a bandit 1200 engine amongst other things. Big fan of oil cooled suzis

Also have a Guzzi V50 II cafe project. In process of building seat atm, then its onto the electrics

Not a fan of sportsbikes on the road personally, if you ride them how they are designed to be ridden then you won't last long. Have you done any track days? Most fun I have ever had on two wheels used my old ZX7R to full effect
Post edited at 06:47
 WaterMonkey 11 May 2016

2013 BMW R1200GS TE. Awesome bike, only had it 6 months.
 Scarab9 11 May 2016

Yep.

But currently my vfr800 VTEC is a burned out wreck after being stolen and set fire to on Sunday night and I'm going through all the insurance claim crap
 rossowen 11 May 2016

KTM Duke 690 'downgrade' from an R1 last year, haven't looked back. It's so much fun!
cb294 11 May 2016

Not anymore, banned by the wife....

DR600 before that,

CB
 John Ww 11 May 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Ouch! Commiserations, I feel your pain - bastards.

JW
 broady 11 May 2016

Triumph Tiger 1050
In reply to cb294:

> Not anymore, banned by the wife....

> DR600 before that,

> CB

Me too.

Fazer600
CBR600RR

My last bike was a 1098.

If I can persuade her my next will be a Beemer K1300s Sport. Fast but comfortable.

Honda NC700D Integra. Possibly the most boring bike ever but also possibly the best commuter ever for a 365 day 60 mile motorway/a road commute. If it was shaft drive it would be perfect.

Used to own fun bikes, was a track day monkey, used to not be married have no mortgage or kids either....think they are linked
 rockcatch 11 May 2016

Triumph Tiger Explorer
 Kermi 11 May 2016

CBRXX1100 Blackbird
Street Triple
CG125

Panniers required for climbing gear!!
 tintinandpip 11 May 2016

BMW K1200s had it five years, various trips to the Alps and Pyrenees on it , follows a long line of other bikes, brilliant combination of performance and practicality. ( Some pics on my UKC photo gallery)
 Oceanrower 11 May 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> Most fun I have ever had on two wheels used my old ZX7R to full effect

I had one of those. I swear it was trying to kill me.

Good fun but bloody uncomfortable over any distance.
 nr 11 May 2016

ZXR750H1
TZR250

This is my 14th TZR. Nothing if not predictable.
In reply to Oceanrower:
Yeh I nearly killed myself on it a few times on the road until I realised track days were a good idea. Never took it any distance personally, not sure why you would expect a sport bike to be comfy over distance tbh!
Post edited at 09:35
 Oceanrower 11 May 2016

I didn't. But it definitely seemed to be heavier on the wrists than others I've ridden.

knighty 11 May 2016

ZX6R in metallic orange.

I've done a few track days over the last couple of years. I've found that not only are they very enjoyable, they have improved my road riding and confidence too. Mainly in knowing that there is a lot of cornering performance that I just don't normally use. If in doubt, more counter steer!
 fred99 11 May 2016

Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
Andy4 11 May 2016
In reply to fred99:

BMW R 1200 Rt
Norton commando Sport.

Ride and climb..Awesome way to get to the crag..
 BrendanO 11 May 2016

Asorted old Hondas: CX, NTV, XBR, CB250RS ... and FT500 import not yet reg or running.

In mid-90s when I started climbing, I thought Hmmm, a sport that suits living in Scotland, not running, and gear fits on a motorbike. And I'll get my fear of heights sorted.

Mind you, it IS a luxury to get poured into someone's car for the way home, tather than having to ride when shredded!
In reply to knighty:

Don't forget to get your body off the bike too. Vast majority of riders ride in bolt upright position through most bends on the road. The more you lean yourself off the bike, the less you have to lean the bike. Head over, shoulders over, ass over, knee out!
Jim C 11 May 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Not anymore, banned by the wife....

My mate just got back into bikes at 60 , he is now retired , but no problems with his wife at all !

I wonder why?
I guess as he is fully life insured, and with the house paid, and savings , she may be less concerned.
cb294 11 May 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> My mate just got back into bikes at 60 , he is now retired , but no problems with his wife at all !

> I wonder why?

> I guess as he is fully life insured, and with the house paid, and savings , she may be less concerned.

Banned by the wife sounds harsher than the reality. Sold my bike in autumn, then bought a car for the winter, then we moved together for the first time and I fully well knew she did not like bikes, then we got kids, .....

Would get a bike again should I get a job that requires commuting, as I would not want to ride just for fun anymore (and then most likely an electric one like the Brammo Empulse for obvious ecological reasons, CO2 just went above 400ppm!)

CB
 deepsoup 11 May 2016
This was done not so long ago wasn't it?
Anyway, two Triumphs here. A Tiger 955i and a '94 Speed Triple (the slightly cafe racer style one before they went all street-fightery).
 BrendanO 11 May 2016
In reply to cb294:

would not want to ride just for fun anymore
> CB

WHAT????

In reply to Cheese Monkey: "..knee out!"

Many years ago I bought a Dainese 1 piece race suit from a shop on Highbury Corner (Sondell Sport?). Mighty pleased with myself I was, it matched my GSXR400 I was riding at the time, I put it on in the shop and I shot off to Tring roundabout (does anyone here know that roundabout?) to practice (naughty but again, I was a young idiot). Weekends a lot of riders would turn up there and it became a bit of a race track until the police turned up.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tring,+Hertfordshire/@51.7902407,-0.646...

Anyway, after an hour of being an idiot I rode back to Highbury Corner and walked in and bought two new knee sliders for the suit. Bloke behind the counter was impressed.
jam46 11 May 2016

At the moment I've got:

Honda CB500x and Dnepr K-750M

One is light and nimble, the other is massively heavy and slow.

cb294 11 May 2016
In reply to BrendanO:

Seriously, we need to cut our CO2 emissions, even if it means dropping some stuff we like. I barely fly anymore, unless I have to for work, cycle to work most days, and also use my road bicycle for fun rides.

Anyway, I don´t want to derail this thread any further, but just to show that even an electric bike could be fun:

youtube.com/watch?v=P-sRfrcpgzY&

Just turn the sound off, it would break your heart....

CB
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Sounds familiar! I did the same, on my first track day I put my newly acquired skills to use and pretty much wore out the right hand slider in a session by forcing it into the tarmac as hard as I could lol
cb294 11 May 2016

Impressive, indeed. Sounds like a guy I knew who used three pairs of foot rests per season on a KLR650 enduro...

CB
In reply to cb294:

I haven't ridden for fun in a long time, just commuting. Fun riding can easily turn into stupid riding (for me). I'm aware of it so I tend to avoid it.

Track days were a revelation for me, no cops, trees, curbs, cars, manhole covers.

My favourites were Mallory Park ( had a monster righthander that was brilliant ) and Cadwell Park ( Goose neck and mountain were awesome) I used to go to Lydden a lot as well because it was cheap and not too far. Wasn't such a fan of Donington. Brands Hatch GP circuit was good and managed to scare myself to death with a tank slapper at dingle dell on my TL1000s. Happy days!

Cadwell is fantastic. I got shoved in the Novice group though when I went, which was a bit frustrating until I got moved up. Did Donington in the wet, wasn't a fan either. Very fast track, very slippery. My mate was in the Fast group on a R6 flying past everything that day, proper talent
 Peter Metcalfe 11 May 2016
In reply to nr:

I had
> ZXR750H1

> TZR250

> This is my 14th TZR. Nothing if not predictable.

Blimey, I didn't think there were even that many in existence. Do you get a new one when the old one blows up?

I had a TZR, before that an RGV250. I preferred the RGV, absolutely hilarious to ride. Weighed about as much as a large pushbike and went completely bonkers when the powervalve kicked in.

Now I have an Aprilia Atlantic 500 (don't laugh)

Peter
 nr 11 May 2016
In reply to Peter Metcalfe:

> Blimey, I didn't think there were even that many in existence. Do you get a new one when the old one blows up?

I used to race - proddy 250s on TZRs (that's where 10 of them went), GP250s on a pair of TZ250s, and endurance racing on an F1 spec GSX-R. So yes, I went through a *lot* of TZRs by blowing them up or reversing them into the gravel. It was cheaper to buy a whole bike s/hand (I picked at least two up for £100 each), strip the bits I needed, and sell on the rest.

There's still an active class for TZRs and LCs - the Yamaha Past Masters [1] can be found gently steaming in the gravel up and down the country most weekends. My current TZR is very much a roadbike though. My racing days are long gone now. I just don't bounce as well as I used to.

[1] http://ypmrc.co.uk/
 Andrew Lodge 11 May 2016

1200 Multistrada at present

Tiger 800 XRx
pwhiteside 11 May 2016

Honda VTR firestorm at the moment.
 Rob Laird 11 May 2016
In reply to pwhiteside:

All this talk about bikes makes me want to do a climbing/biking trip again!!

Anyone interested?
 Oceanrower 11 May 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

Yep!
 mwr72 11 May 2016

Gixxer thou here K4z
 Big Ger 11 May 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Seriously, we need to cut our CO2 emissions, even if it means dropping some stuff we like. I barely fly anymore, unless I have to for work, cycle to work most days, and also use my road bicycle for fun rides.

Does your halo ever tarnish from bike riding in the rain?
cb294 12 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

F... off. No need for a halo, just common sense and a feeling of responsibility for the world we leave our children.
But then again, what should one expect from a person choosing a criminal character as login name?

(I assume you are referencing Rankin, if not, my apologies in advance).

CB
 Big Ger 12 May 2016
In reply to cb294:

> (I assume you are referencing Rankin, if not, my apologies in advance).

First one to spot it, choose any prize from the second shelf.

(There's a tin of halo polish there if I remember rightly.)
Rigid Raider 12 May 2016

See my other post about retirement.... one thing I forgot to mention was the need for somewhere to fettle an old motorbike. The most charismatic bike I ever owned was my Honda CX500 V twin and you can still buy these in good condition.
 Big Ger 12 May 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> The most charismatic bike I ever owned was my Honda CX500 V twin and you can still buy these in good condition.

Mine was a 500cc single cylinder Ariel "Red Hunter".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Red_Hunter

One of my retirement plans is to buy up (possibly over here,) some old British iron and do it up.
cb294 12 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Thanks, I may need it!

It is always hard to find a line between serious discussions and fun pub talk, but am I the only one scared shitless by climate change?

Saint CB (allegedly...)
 Big Ger 12 May 2016
In reply to cb294:

Thanks for seeing the (intended) humour in my comments mate.
cb294 12 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

No worries,

CB
 Pkrynicki1984 12 May 2016

Bike History...

1999 Vespa ET2 50cc (got nicked)
1998 Cagiva Prima 50cc (Smashed by a mate)
1997 Vespa T.S 125cc (smashed by me numerous times)
1995 Vespa T5 125cc in custom 80's metalflake ;-/ (flipped doing a wheelie outside local scooter dealer)
2002 Aprilia RS 125cc
2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 K4 (loved it but scared me silly a few times)#

3 year break and now got a 1964 Vespa sprint with modern forks and engine

Any other scooterists?
 jonnie3430 12 May 2016

> Honda NC700D

I have an nc 700x that is my first bike and I bought it because the traffic at rush hour is rubbish and it makes it less painful.

I know what cb is saying about climate change though, I work in the water industry and think things are going to get very tight over the next 20 years for some overseas countries ( and potentially the south east! ) the bike helps though, about 80mpg for it and I had to be in Stranraer tue and we'd this week, saving my company £80 alone.

I would like something smaller and faster and love the idea of track days, but would probably lose licence and health, so am sticking to the nc which is still faster than any car I've had for overtaking.
 LittleRob 12 May 2016

Bit of a fraud, as I'm not really a climber (I came here for the Via Ferrata!) but I do have a VFR 800 (and had a Suzuki bandit 600s before that).
In reply to LastBoyScout:

My wife just got an SV650, service has been done so it's ready to ride
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

> 2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 K4 (loved it but scared me silly a few times)#

Lol, you want to try a litre bike

malk 13 May 2016

check out this ultra-polite canadian biker - he nearly gets roasted rather than overtake traffic..
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5c2_1462436360
 Pkrynicki1984 13 May 2016

if you check out my previous bikes you'll see why a 100bhp 600cc was plenty fast enough!
 birdie num num 14 May 2016

Explorer XC
 BrendanO 17 May 2016
In reply to cb294:
Got NO prob at all with electric bikes...AND could be pretty eco too, depending on how the electric is generated; and the impact of making the vehicle, and disposing of batteries; and the impact of recycling the bike it replaces.

I'm sure I'll have one at some point. I just couldn't think of a BETTER reason to ride than for fun. It brightens a work commute, and is obviously better than by car (tho cycle beats it eco-wise if distance/gradient ok).

Oh, I ride a bicycle too. But just for fun.

And that dislike wasn't me. Go in peace.
Post edited at 14:48
 JohnnyW 17 May 2016
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:
> Any other scooterists?

Me, just got back from a rally on the French border, so a little jaded! A wee video, but don't tell cb294, he'll have an egg at the two-stroke!!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153877076546144&id=6390...

Since 1984. more scooters than I can actually remember, probably in the 20s.
Have had my Lambretta SX200 since 1986, and having bought it for £400, it's now insured with Aunty Carole Nash for £8k. Madness eh?!
Also currently got a PX200e too, had it since 2002
And my old trusty FJ1200 Yamaha, bought new in 1993, sprayed in Kenny Roberts racing Yam yellow, but currently off the road with a rusted through tank and consequently buggered up carbs. Work in progress.
Post edited at 20:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...