UKC

Oh Betty, Betty...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 11 May 2016
... Maybe it's time to hang your boots up after all. You've had a good run; no-one's going to think any worse of you. But little gaffs like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36263685

... could get a bit serious.
 Big Ger 11 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
Sorry? The Queen stating "They were very rude to the ambassador," is cause to hang her boots up.

I hope you hold yourself to such high standards. In fact, isn't your comment above indiscreet enough for you to resign?
Post edited at 09:18
 felt 11 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Sorry? The Queen stating "They were very rude to the ambassador," is cause to hang her boots up.

What you didn't hear her say was "If he serves those golden-wrapped chocolate balls with a nutty topping again I'll get ite my Purdey."
KevinD 11 May 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I hope you hold yourself to such high standards. In fact, isn't your comment above indiscreet enough for you to resign?

I am sure they will hand in their resignation as Monarch immediately.
cap'nChino 11 May 2016
Your reaction is a little over the top. From my experience the Chinese are quite rude in the way they do some things, what's more a lot of more educated and worldly Chinese are aware of their general rudeness and the way it comes across. Its a storm in a China Tea Cup as usual.
Post edited at 10:02
In reply to cap'nChino:

My post was as much about compassion as anything. For 'x' years she has never been seen to put a foot wrong; now she is 90 she has let her guard slip, hardly surprising. Perhaps it's time for a well-earned retirement.
 Robert Durran 11 May 2016

Surely the real issue here is intrusive filming and reporting of a private conversation.
 plyometrics 11 May 2016

> Perhaps it's time for a well-earned retirement.

Only to be replaced by Charlie, who never speaks his mind...
 Cú Chullain 11 May 2016

> Mr Buhari said he was "shocked" by the prime minister's comments, while a senior Afghan official said the characterisation was "unfair, but the problem would go away if they paid a small fine in cash".
 Fredt 11 May 2016

> My post was as much about compassion as anything. For 'x' years she has never been seen to put a foot wrong; now she is 90 she has let her guard slip, hardly surprising. Perhaps it's time for a well-earned retirement.

Like Cameron let his guard slip too?
In reply to Robert Durran:

FFS An official garden party is hardly a private conversation. And it was an official palace photographer!
 Andy Hardy 11 May 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

> Only to be replaced by Charlie, who never speaks his mind...

I'm sure he would if he spent more time in it.
cap'nChino 11 May 2016

> My post was as much about compassion as anything. For 'x' years she has never been seen to put a foot wrong; now she is 90 she has let her guard slip, hardly surprising. Perhaps it's time for a well-earned retirement.

Fair enough. I would personally welcome her to become more like Philip and come out with some old school clangers. Don't want to get too chummy with Jonny foreigner.
 robert-hutton 11 May 2016
In reply to cap'nChino:

> Your reaction is a little over the top. From my experience the Chinese are quite rude in the way they do some things, what's more a lot of more educated and worldly Chinese are aware of their general rudeness and the way it comes across. Its a storm in a China Tea Cup as usual.

Yes but the queen should have been aware that the Chinese can appear to come over quite rude, it is their characteristic and business protocol, us Brits has certain mannerisms which other countries find unfathomable.
 The New NickB 11 May 2016
In reply to cap'nChino:
> Don't want to get too chummy with Jonny foreigner.

I think that ship sailed when she married Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark.
Post edited at 10:56
 felt 11 May 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

The modern rot surely set in with Albert, but hadn't the trireme already long departed with Williams I and III, not to mention the Georges?
 The New NickB 11 May 2016
In reply to felt:

Shhh, her grandfather decided they were English Windsors, not German Sax-Coberg Gothas about the time cousin Willy was kicking off.
In reply to KevinD:

Wow, there's some heavy duty disliking going on on this thread!
 Dauphin 11 May 2016

Wonder what the point of putting this out for public consumption is? BBC in its role as state broadcaster and official media PR unit to the RF is normally so careful to present them as apolitical and anodyne.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...