UKC

Buying a new chainset and chain...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 11 May 2016

I have a Kona Dew that has been used and abused as my commuter bike for roughly five years, I've never paid for a service, so it owes me nowt.

However, the chain is now slipping far more than when I first asked about it on these here fora. So I'm assuming I need new chainset and chain.

My question is, do I have to exchange like-for-like or can I get a different make? I ask this because I was hoping to buy them both online from the same place.

I can get the Shimano M311 - 28/38/48t chainset from Evans (£31 delivered) but thggey don't sell the KMC Z72 - 8 Speed chain. Can I just buy any chain from them?

Also, should I change the cassette at the same time?

Cheers, Tony
 gethin_allen 11 May 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Is it certain that it's the chainset causing the chain slip? normally I find it's the cassette that goes first and the chainset can cope with a bit of wear.
Regarding the chain, I would go for a SRAM chain rather than KMC, I find the KMC on my road bike to be noisy and sloppy shifting and the design seems to work crap into the rollers. Although having just had a google and considering it's 8 speed the chains are all quite basic and probably much of a muchness.
If you want a solidly reliable setup that will be sure to get you to work I'd go for new cassette chain and chainset, it's all pretty cheap when you're looking at 8 speed.
In reply to gethin_allen:
> Is it certain that it's the chainset causing the chain slip?
I think so, as it doesn't slip when I'm on the smallest ring, which I hardly ever use.

> Regarding the chain, I would go for a SRAM chain rather than KMC, I find the KMC on my road bike to be noisy and sloppy shifting and the design seems to work crap into the rollers. Although having just had a google and considering it's 8 speed the chains are all quite basic and probably much of a muchness.
I don't know the difference, in fact I didn't realise there were so many options on a chain

> If you want a solidly reliable setup that will be sure to get you to work I'd go for new cassette chain and chainset, it's all pretty cheap when you're looking at 8 speed.
I think you could be right, like I said, the bike owes me nowt so it's about time I spent some cash on it.

Thank you

Edit: Can I buy any 8 speed cassette, or do I have to buy the Shimano HG20 - 11-32t - 8 Speed?

Can you tell I'm not used to cycle maintenance?
Post edited at 12:14
 LastBoyScout 11 May 2016
Normally, I'd just replace the chain ring that's worn out, but I think the M311 is a rivetted unit, so you can't do that. You could use the opportunity to upgrade to one that you can replace, but that might involve a new BB and a sack more cash.

Speaking of which, it may also be a good time to check/grease/replace the bottom bracket - depends if cartridge or cup and cone.

Definitely replace the cassette and chain - I tend to use Wippermann, but SRAM, KMC (currently on road bike) or Shimano will all be fine.

Expensive bit will be the tools, if you haven't already got them.

Edit in response to your edit - cassettes are pretty standard, so you can use Shimano or SRAM or any other 8-speed compatible brand.
Post edited at 12:19
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Normally, I'd just replace the chain ring that's worn out, but I think the M311 is a rivetted unit, so you can't do that. You could use the opportunity to upgrade to one that you can replace, but that might involve a new BB and a sack more cash.
What's a BB? If it involves more cash then I think I'd rather not know. Aha - just read next line... bottom bracket.

> Speaking of which, it may also be a good time to check/grease/replace the bottom bracket - depends if cartridge or cup and cone.
I don't know what type it is, but it's this CH Square Taper - 68mm. If I'm taking the chainset off then I would probably check this as well.

> Definitely replace the cassette and chain - I tend to use Wippermann, but SRAM, KMC (currently on road bike) or Shimano will all be fine.
Great.

> Expensive bit will be the tools, if you haven't already got them.
Oh dear, ebay/amazon/Wiggle/Decathlon here I come.

> Edit in response to your edit - cassettes are pretty standard, so you can use Shimano or SRAM or any other 8-speed compatible brand.
Thanks again.

Cheers buddy, appreciated.
 LastBoyScout 11 May 2016

> Edit in response to your edit - cassettes are pretty standard, so you can use Shimano or SRAM or any other 8-speed Shimano or SRAM compatible brand.

Edit to add qualifier - there's a couple of other brands that wouldn't be compatible, such as Campag.
 LastBoyScout 11 May 2016

You will need:
- Crank extractor - I just bought this one: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-tools/ice-toolz-crank... (you can get others if you don't have the 8mm hex key)
- Pedal spanner/hex key, depending on type.
- Gear removal tool - which one depends if it's a cassette or block
- Chain whip - if the gears are a cassette.
- possibly - BB removal tool.
- grease/anti-seize - put a bit on the cassette/bb threads when you assemble it. You shouldn't grease the BB axle/crank joint on square taper, but do grease the bolt threads..

Bloody hell! I suppose it's still cheaper than taking in somewhere, and I get to keep the tools. This is getting more expensive by the minute

Thanks for that. haha
 Stig 11 May 2016

To be honest, it will probably work out cheaper to get a bike shop to do this. I agree with others that you will need to replace the crankset, chain, and cassette all together. Check for play in the BB by twisting the cranks. If smooth, then the BB should be ok.

I also agree about the KMC chains: crap. Get a SRAM if you can, Shimano are ok but a dull grey and always seem harder to clean.

If you do go ahead, I have quite a few of the tools LBS mentions as spares, so could probably sell them cheaply. I don't have a spare chain whip but these are pretty cheap (or better, borrow off a mate).
 LastBoyScout 11 May 2016

Oh - you'll also need a socket/tool/Hex key to get the crank bolt out, depending on type. Assuming you've already got a socket set and set of hex keys (if not, what sort of man are you? ), you should have those covered.

The rest are pretty cheap online - £5 - £10 each. You could make your own chain whip out of your old chain, if you felt like it.

While you're at it, maybe also look at a chain wear indicator.
 elsewhere 11 May 2016
Make purchases 1 step at a time:
Check/adjust indexing of rear mech.
Replace with any old 8 speed chain (Clarks Anti Rust 7, 8 Bike Chain is £4.99 online at Halfords was better than the new Shimano HG41 or HG51 that was full of stiff links)
If still skipping check indexing of rear gear mech and ***check for stiff links in new chain***!
If still skipping then buy a new cassette. NB cassettes are supposed to last a few times longer than a chain so get new chain first.

Chainsets seem to last for ever (slight exaggeration) which puzzles me.

I'm a cheapskate commuter but I find the chain is stretched after 12 months (a few thousand dirty miles). At £5 a chain it's hardly worth the effort to clean the chain when it will soon get manky again.

I'm assuming it's skipping at the rear rather than on chainrings. If the chainrings are worn I don't think that would make chain engage badly with sprockets and rear mech.

Last time I found it stopped skipping at rear when I used large chainring at front. Probably because there was more spring tension in the rear mech so there may be an element of mankiness or wear in the rear mech (or stiff links in new chain, GRRRR!!!)

PS is there a bike charity workshop where you are? I have a brilliant local one http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/glasgow/bike-repairs/fix-your-own-bike/ where I can use a workstand & tools for £4/hr and you get a bit of informal advice/help with a coffee or tea thrown in

It would be far cheaper for me to pay them £4/hr but I fail to resist the temptation of buying the tools/toys.
Post edited at 14:40
 Monk 11 May 2016
If your chain set is worn it is highly likely that your cassette is well and truly knackered. You'd be well advised to replace the cassette as well or you will have problems fairly soon. As for chains, any 8 speed should work and cost about a fiver. Maybe kmc aren't as nice, but they do me just fine on my commuter and winter mtb. It's not actually that hard to replace the drive train... The hardest bit is often getting the old cassette off. Putting it all back on is fairly simple. Tools are always a good investment in my opinion. An initial outlay but you use them again and again.
Post edited at 19:28
 gethin_allen 11 May 2016

Regarding tools for the job, if you look on a well known auction site you can buy a chain whip and cassette tool for as little as £5 delivered and a crank puller for £1.99 delivered so not exactly wallet busting. They may not be fantastic quality tools but for the odd use once in a blue moon will de the job fine so all you need otherwise is a couple of adjustable spanners.
 elsewhere 11 May 2016
Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance, £15 if you look around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...