UKC

giving birth at 72 ? Your kidding right

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

http://news.sky.com/story/1693971/indian-woman-72-gives-birth-through-ivf

Irresponsible and dangerous IMO
What were the Dr's thinking ? apart from ka-ching

TS
Post edited at 11:49
 Rob Exile Ward 11 May 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

Ironically they're Indian, as well - you might have thought there were higher priority health issues than enabling a 70= year old couple to have children, however wonderful that might be for them (not convinced it will be very wonderful for the child, either.)
 Fraser 11 May 2016

As in: your birth right?
 humptydumpty 11 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> Ironically they're Indian, as well - you might have thought there were higher priority health issues than enabling a 70= year old couple to have children...

Was it done at public expense? If not, I don't see how this is relevant.

And if you're looking for unethical private "doctoring", this might amuse/horrify a little more than the OP: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/09/i-have-to-be-taller-the-unregu...
Post edited at 13:09
 Mike Highbury 11 May 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:
> Was it done at public expense? If not, I don't see how this is relevant.

Oh, I dunno. Casual racism is quite the thing on UKC these days.
 Rob Exile Ward 11 May 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Can you kindly explain what is racist about noting the country where this take place, and noting the irony that it is a country with an issue of overpopulation?
 Mike Highbury 11 May 2016
> Can you kindly explain what is racist about noting the country where this take place, and noting the irony that it is a country with an issue of overpopulation?

'Higher priority health issues' does not equal overpopulation, whatever that might mean.

But, I guess, everything is frippery until one addresses the most significant matters of social concern, wherever one might happen to live.
 Gills 11 May 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Not long after I qualified I actually had a patient that had had this done in Italy(I think)!! He came in to us for follow up X-rays that he sent photos of out to his surgeons! The most bizarre thing I've come across! He did it because his girl friend was taller than him!!!
 Big Ger 11 May 2016

> Can you kindly explain what is racist about noting the country where this take place, and noting the irony that it is a country with an issue of overpopulation?

Oh that's easy to explain; if someone makes a comment about a non-white person that is not entirely positive, if you call "racism" you win the debate.

It's a bit like playing "snap" really.
 gethin_allen 11 May 2016

I don't think India really has an overpopulation issue because it's massive and the land is rich in a geographical sense, the issue in India is the massive wealth disparities and the caste system.

As far as the original topic is concerned, I don't agree with it because the parents are unlikely to live for long into the child's life and the risk of complications both genetically for the child and physically to the mother are very high.

I believe this is a personal choice for the mother. She might become a great parent - time will tell but I support her right to choose to do this.

I have also heard that there are people living in Asia who live an active life to over 160 years old. If she becomes one of them then her child won't become an orphan too young.

Age perception is an interesting issue.
 Lurking Dave 12 May 2016
In reply to I like climbing:

Yep, they are everywhere in Asia, centenarians running around every city, 120 is the new 40 and all that.

Muppet.

> I believe this is a personal choice for the mother. She might become a great parent - time will tell but I support her right to choose to do this.

> I have also heard that there are people living in Asia who live an active life to over 160 years old. If she becomes one of them then her child won't become an orphan too young.

> Age perception is an interesting issue.

You honestly believe there are 160 year old people living in India ? because judging by the picture in the article they don't look like they are in the prime of health .

Any evidence for that ? "apart from I have heard"

I would like to know their secret if its the case.

TS
 Dax H 12 May 2016

A quick Google has shown that the oldest person on record died at 122 years old (French woman) but there seems to be a few tabloids claiming that someone has been found at 131.
Maybe the record keepers have never visited India.
In reply to Dax H:

> A quick Google has shown that the oldest person on record died at 122 years old (French woman) but there seems to be a few tabloids claiming that someone has been found at 131.

Yes I've heard about those , add another 38 years to that (or 29 depending if you believe that they lived until 131).

The tabloids CLAIM lots of things.

I fully appreciate that in the world of possibility this could happen , however in this instance the probability of it not happening is far in my opinion far greater than that of it happening .

I'd in this I'd case be happy to be proven wrong .

TS

wintertree 12 May 2016

Given the fact she was a first time mother, the people commenting about overpopulation are being a little overzealous, I think.

I suspect that family will have only one child. If everyone waiting until their 30s or 40s (let alone 70s...) and only had one child, overpopulation would cease to be a problem. Given that overpopilation is the root cause of almost every problem that humanity is facing...

Lusk 12 May 2016
In reply to wintertree:

> Given that overpopilation is the root cause of almost every problem that humanity is facing...

No it isn't, it's religion ...
 Dax H 12 May 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> No it isn't, it's religion ...

And education, possibly more education than religion.
 ThunderCat 12 May 2016

> I have also heard that there are people living in Asia who live an active life to over 160 years old. If she becomes one of them then her child won't become an orphan too young.

Come on, tell us where you heard this...wasn't the Daily Mash was it?

jkarran 12 May 2016

I heard the moon is made of cheese.
jk
Removed User 12 May 2016

Wonder if they've considered who's going to bring to this child up should/when they become infirm? I'd guess extended family but it's a fare bet the child will not know or have the emotional support of their parents.

In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Wonder if they've considered who's going to bring to this child up should/when they become infirm? I'd guess extended family but it's a fare bet the child will not know or have the emotional support of their parents.

Exactly ! but you know apparently they have a chance of being active until their 160 according to one above post.

TS

In reply to ThunderCat:

> Come on, tell us where you heard this...wasn't the Daily Mash was it?

You know what ? I had a great night last night but I might struggle to climb today
I can't remember where I heard it either but my post made me laugh when I read it !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...