UKC

Yeti Disaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Smee 18 Nov 2003
Hi there, I bought some Yeti Extremes (XL) to go with my Vega HAs for Aconcagua but can't get them on the boot. Is there a trick to it or do they just not fit?!

Any better suggestions on gaters?
 Conan 18 Nov 2003
In reply to Smee:
I had some special expedition version of these and my Vegas were size 12. It took a lot of effort to get them on but they did eventually fit. Think you just have to be patient and just face the fact that you WILL loose some skin.

They definately wont come off though.
OP Wilf 18 Nov 2003
In reply to Smee:

That's pretty much the set up I have (although a few years old). Takes a lot off effort to get them on strecthing, tyre levers etc. After I'd done it I wonder weather heating the gaiter rubber up in warm water might have helped?

Once on I'd glue the toe down to prevent it peeling up.
OP Anonymous 18 Nov 2003
The best way is to do the following:

- find some stairs.
- put the yeti onto the boot, but have the toe of the boot sticking out through the bottom base of the yeti, so that the yeti front has to be pulled down over the toe.
- get a friend to put a foot into the boot and stand on the stairs with the front of the boot overhanging the stair edge. Get them to stand on the yeti foot with all their weight to stop the boot moving.
- pull down the front of the yeti over the toe. This is easiest if you fold the front of the yeti back on itself, so that you sort of roll the front of the yeti downwards over itself.

This sounds complicated, but once you've worked out what I mean it's fairly easy!

David.
OP Anonymous 18 Nov 2003
In reply to Smee: Something which worked well for me is to slightly dilute some washing up liquid and then smear all over the boot/inside of the gaiter before starting the inevitable wrestling match.

Any lubricant will work, but because it's water based this has the advantage that the water evaporates, "sealing" the gaiter in place.

Lubricants which rot rubber are a bad idea...
Removed User 18 Nov 2003
In reply to Smee: some how i wouldn't worry about trying to get them on,I can not see why you think you would need them for this mountain
Sky - Blu 18 Nov 2003
In reply to Removed User:

if its a winter ascent then it might be useful, but benerally the top can be made in trekking boots (with extra socks mind!) or something a tadge stiffer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...