UKC

Help - whats the best way to make amazing black coffee at home?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 12 May 2016
Hello fellow coffee drinkers!

Currently I go to one of the local cafes (Carluccio's) on the way to work and buy a black Americano for £2 most mornings. My partner comes with, and gets a tea for ~£2 with a free croissant, but she wants to stop eating the croissant, and paying £2~ for just a cup of tea is a bit over the top. So that points to making the tea at home, and my coffee too.

So what I'm asking is what do I need to know, what would I need buy to make comparable coffee at home? I've had various black coffees and find most to be too bitter - Carluccio's is definitely my favourite
Considering I spend about £6-10 per week on coffee - if I spent a year's worth of that on a home setup I'd be looking at £300-500. I have no idea if that's enough or not (including a year's supply of beans, water filtration, grinder? cleaning supplies? other stuff I don't even know about?).

Thanks for any advice.
Rigid Raider 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Ask any Arab how to make proper Arabic coffee; you've got to find the right blend (with or without cardamon) and the small pot, in which you boil the coffee until it sinks to the bottom. Then you pour it into a tiny cup and add sugar.... or not as you prefer.

If you happen to live in Manchester a trip down to the curry mile, fast becoming the kebab mile, will get you everything you need as well as some very naughty Arabic sweets with pistachio and syrup.
 LucaC 12 May 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I'm totally in love with my aeropress. Only £25, and then the cost of filter papers and whatever coffee you like. You will need to play with different makes/beans/grinds to get it how you like, but it's a very reliable method of making a good cup. One thing I've found makes a huge difference is not using boiling water. Aeropress recommend 80-85c, and 80c works for me.
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I've had "Turkish" coffee a friend made once, and found it totally vile Is Arabic coffee similar?
I also like the more diluted cup's worth type of black coffees. I find the taste to be smoother and the volume is better for washing down a sandwich or oaty bar or so.

OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to LJC:

> I'm totally in love with my aeropress. Only £25, and then the cost of filter papers and whatever coffee you like. You will need to play with different makes/beans/grinds to get it how you like, but it's a very reliable method of making a good cup. One thing I've found makes a huge difference is not using boiling water. Aeropress recommend 80-85c, and 80c works for me.

I have had Aeropress coffee before on climbing meets and did enjoy it. Can't go wrong with £25 either! I like the fact that it's reliable though. Is the water in Sussex hard? (I assumed that hard water made coffee taste worse).
Rigid Raider 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Yes, Turkish, Arabic, Greek, Cypriot, they are all made the same way.
 mike123 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
As above , for minimal expense you won't gofer wrong with an aero press . I reckon carluccios sell their coffee ? Next step a grinder and try to buy freshly roasted beans , I doubt carluccios coffee s have a roasting date so you maybe buying really fresh or really old beans . Try a local rosters espresso , chances are the beans will have been roasted within a week and grinding yourself will almost certainly match or surpass what you've been buying. For an aero press don't bipother spending more than £30 to £40 won a burr grinder or a hand grinder. You can spend £100 s ( I have ) on the grinder but after years of coffee related faffery and snobbery, I reckon most people wouldn't tell the difference when using an aero press . However if you want to get into espresso machines and making coffee as good or better than your local hipsters hangout then the grinder is key and you are looking at £100 as a starting point. Everything needed is easily bought of eBay . If you fancy boring yourself stupid there are lots of previous threads on ukc espresso machines and grinders.
Edit. Sorry for typos , fat fingers and only one coffee so far today
Post edited at 13:03
 LucaC 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
The water down our way is as hard as it comes, judging by the scale on the kettle. I do notice a difference when I go away (it's great for camping trips) and use nice water, but I think the freshness and quality of the beans/grounds your starting with is way more important. I usually have lavazza (coffee snobs need to apply, but I like it) for general consumption, and something fancy from a local rosterie, ground in the shop when I buy it for special occasions.
Post edited at 13:05
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to mike123:

> As above , for minimal expense you won't gofer wrong with an aero press . I reckon carluccios sell their coffee ? Next step a grinder and try to buy freshly roasted beans , I doubt carluccios coffee s have a roasting date so you maybe buying really fresh or really old beans . Try a local rosters espresso , chances are the beans will have been roasted within a week and grinding yourself will almost certainly match or surpass what you've been buying. For an aero press don't bipother spending more than £30 to £40 won a burr grinder or a hand grinder. You can spend £100 s ( I have ) on the grinder but after years of coffee related faffery and snobbery, I reckon most people wouldn't tell the difference when using an aero press . However if you want to get into espresso machines and making coffee as good or better than your local hipsters hangout then the grinder is key and you are looking at £100 as a starting point. Everything needed is easily bought of eBay . If you fancy boring yourself stupid there are lots of previous threads on ukc espresso machines and grinders.

> Edit. Sorry for typos , fat fingers and only one coffee so far today

Thanks that's good advice. So in summary a large part of getting good coffee is having freshly ground beans? I think I am possibly looking to get an espresso machine - that seems to be where my morning coffee comes from. I'll have a look at some of the other threads.

I have tried coffee/espresso from some really well regarded coffee places in central London (cafe vergnano, ministry of coffee and social affairs, prufrock coffee) and to be honest still preferred Carluccio's coffee! (again it was the bitterness/sourness that put me off).
 Dark-Cloud 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I have one of these, makes awesome coffee, far better than what i pay £3 for in most cafes:

https://www.dualit.com/support/espressivo-coffee-machine
 hamsforlegs 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

The Aeropress is a good bet. Spend a chunk of your money on a decent-ish grinder with burrs (not blades). Think £100-200 for the grinder. Then either shop the various independent roasters, or get a subscription to a decent online service that provides you with interesting blends or even single estate coffees that are roasted and delivered within short timelines. With fresh beans, a decent grind and an aeropress you can make really good coffee.

I suspect the hardness of the water is more of a factor if you're using espresso kit that is affected by scale etc. I'm not completely sure, but I would think more about the flavour profile. I've lived in hard water areas with disgusting tasting water and with really neutral pleasant water. Unless your water has a strong taste, this is unlikely to be a major factor until you have the other elements well refined.

BTW - I think Carluccio's coffee is excellent, perhaps some of the best you can buy from a high street chain, so you've set yourself a fairly high bar!
 hamsforlegs 12 May 2016
In reply to mike123:

Good point on the grinder cost - I guess my price outline above was based more on getting something reliable and robust. If you've cheaper options that work and grind really fine I'd definitely be interested! TBH using a blade grinder isn't a huge issue, but I've found it hard to get consistency when grinding finer than cafetiere sort of consistency.
 mike123 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
Like most things , go with what you like , if you are thinking of going down the espresso machine road , ( be warned its a rocky one filled with despair ) , then get a grinder that's up to the job , use it with your aero peress while waiting to buy one. I'm sat waiting for the fridge man , I'll take a look at eBay now.
 Jimbo C 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

A lot depends on the beans you use. I use a simple french press and if you get your quantity, temperature, agitation and timing right you can get very nice coffee with a decent crema. I sometimes grind beans but a good ground coffee if it's been stored well and is still fresh can be equally good. The best blends/beans I've used are:

Grumpy Mule - all good but my favourite is Yirgacheffe (all roasted in Holmfirth btw)
Taylors - Lazy Sunday
Guatemala Elephant
Ethiopia (Mocha) Limu

I find that the key to good coffee using a french press is to use more coffee than you think you need, add a small amount of cold water and mix in before adding the hot water and brew for a relatively short time (30 to 60 seconds). Brewing for too long can produce a bitter taste.

Also, if you want a more mellow flavour and lots of caffeine (I mean lots), brew with cold water in the fridge for 8-12 hours. I tried this only once as it was like rocket fuel and gave me the jitters for several hours.
 nickprior 12 May 2016
In reply to mike123:

Agree! Aeropress helps me make repeatably good coffee.

Newly roasted beans, freshly ground for the brew, water well off the boil (and for topping up per Americano) - that's my ideal and it'll spoil you for most shop coffee for ever!

Traditional filters and papers comes a close second to this for me but you have to work harder at getting the volumes of water the same each time without rather more faff than I'm prepared to put up with in the mornings.

And anyone thinking this is all too esoteric, go and look up aeropress competitions on Google - grams of beans and split second timings are only the start of it.
 hamsforlegs 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> So in summary a large part of getting good coffee is having freshly ground beans?

Don't want to put words in mike123's mouth, but that is probably the single most important factor. Note that the freshness of the roast is also important - grinding should happen right before you make the coffee.

> I have tried coffee/espresso from some really well regarded coffee places in central London (cafe vergnano, ministry of coffee and social affairs, prufrock coffee) and to be honest still preferred Carluccio's coffee! (again it was the bitterness/sourness that put me off).

The current trend is for very acidic wine-like coffees with light body. I personally prefer more caramel/nut flavoured coffees with some body, or even more chewy, smoky flavours. All of this is possible with both espresso (geek territory - tons of variables and lots of expense if you get hooked) or aeropress (relatively cheap and easy) - down to the blend and a few variables in the brewing.

nickprior 12 May 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

I am so going to try this! Do you heat it up again? Microwave? Does it actually matter once you've had a sip?!
 pigeonjim 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Try these. I use them at work

http://uk-pic2.ciao.com/uk/140079775.jpg

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsbur...

They are single cup paper filters filled with coffee. They dont use a lot of plastic like most of the similar products on the market.
 neuromancer 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Where do coffee snobs sit on buying beans ground ready to go for an aeropress?
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to hamsforlegs:

> The current trend is for very acidic wine-like coffees with light body.

Ugh yes! That explains the coffees I've been getting at the fancy places. I prefer a

> I personally prefer more caramel/nut flavoured coffees with some body, or even more chewy, smoky flavours. All of this is possible with both espresso (geek territory - tons of variables and lots of expense if you get hooked) or aeropress (relatively cheap and easy) - down to the blend and a few variables in the brewing.

I guess I've got a lot to learn, but it sounds like if buy an aeropress I can get 80% (my guess) of the way to the perfect coffee, and if that's not good enough I can go down the espresso machine road and eventually get closer to the 95% mark.
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> Where do coffee snobs sit on buying beans ground ready to go for an aeropress?

That's another one of my questions! It seems there's been a few answers so far from people suggesting to buy burr grinders.
 mike123 12 May 2016
In reply to necro ,
I reckon a lot of people who like to think they could tell the difference probably couldn't. Freshly opened bag of something good and careful attention to all the other ginger pokers ( that's what my iPad thinks of jiggery pokery . Cool. ) mentioned above . Trouble is the freshly opened bag bit. Two days ( max) and it'll taste of nothing. Fresh beans stored in the dark / cool, good for a 3/4 weeks , maybe a bit less depending on all sorts of things . Best is to buy from a small local roaster who you know is roasting regularly and turning over lots.
 Robert Durran 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

A stove top thing. I've virtually stopped using my espresso machine since getting one - much better coffee in my opinion. And I enjoy the sort of ritual using it.
 mike123 12 May 2016
In reply to
Just had a vey quick look on eBay, if you point in burr grinder lots of little Krups machines come up. £30 ish,l you won't go far wrong with one of them. If you wanted to get something that would work well with an espresso machine I couldn't see much under £200 tbh , there a couple of macap s for £150 ish that would do the job very well . Used to be possible to get mazzer minis for less than £200 on there , seems not so anymore .
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> A stove top thing. I've virtually stopped using my espresso machine since getting one - much better coffee in my opinion. And I enjoy the sort of ritual using it.

What brand is it? Very interesting to hear that you've stopped using your espresso machine over it!
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to mike123:

> In reply to

> Just had a vey quick look on eBay, if you point in burr grinder lots of little Krups machines come up. £30 ish,l you won't go far wrong with one of them. If you wanted to get something that would work well with an espresso machine I couldn't see much under £200 tbh , there a couple of macap s for £150 ish that would do the job very well . Used to be possible to get mazzer minis for less than £200 on there , seems not so anymore .

How much better would you say freshly ground versus well-stored pre-ground coffee is? (obviously the longer you stored the pre-grounds the worse they'd get).
 Robert Durran 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> What brand is it? Very interesting to hear that you've stopped using your espresso machine over it!

It was is really cheap one I bought on a bolt clipping trip to Spain when our accomodation turned out to have no means of making coffee. Quite fancy getting a weightier one sometime though and keep the cheap, light one for camping!
 CurlyStevo 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
I think buying good beans and grinding on the day of use is the biggest single difference you can make to creating great coffee.

I like the stove top coffee although you do loose some taste that way (as you also do with an espresso machine). French press is also great and very easy and cost effective, they are gaining in popularity again especially for speciality delicate coffees like many African varieties. Don't get me wrong espresso can be nice too but its not the be all and end all of making coffee. If you have over roasted dark cheap beans ground in a cheap grinder no espresso machine is going to make that taste good (look at the crap starbucks and costa serve, I find it humorous they protect their blends like the trade secret of a gourmet product) .

For a grinder you do want a bur grinder.

I've used this particular one at home and as a shared grinder in a busy work place and its held up very well
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-75015-Coffee-Grinder-Black/dp/B005VBNSJ8/re...

I've tried aero press but I don't buy the hype. You can get an almost identical result with a French press grinding finer, stirring and then finishing after 30 secs. Also I don't like having plastic items in contact with boiling water on a regular basis as chemicals leach out of the plastic.

Incidentally as you may have noticed I don't like dark beans. The strength guide that comes with coffee packets nearly always indicates how darkly roasted they are not how strong the caffeine content is. A dark roast is also commonly used to attempt to hide the poor taste of cheap beans. It's just advertising gumf that has lead many people to believe a dark roast is superior IMO, most coffee buffs know this.
Post edited at 14:20
 timmeehhhh 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I use a moka pot with freshly ground beans and pre-boiled water. The key prevent the coffee from tasting bitter is to minimized the run time.
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:

> I use a moka pot with freshly ground beans and pre-boiled water. The key prevent the coffee from tasting bitter is to minimized the run time.

Ah cheers - that seems to be the name of those stove-top coffee makers.
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to LJC:

> I'm totally in love with my aeropress. Only £25, and then the cost of filter papers and whatever coffee you like. You will need to play with different makes/beans/grinds to get it how you like, but it's a very reliable method of making a good cup. One thing I've found makes a huge difference is not using boiling water. Aeropress recommend 80-85c, and 80c works for me.

Well there seems to be somewhat overwhelming support for the aeropress - so I've just gone out and bought one. I'll experiment with it and see how close I can get to a perfect coffee.

Thanks for all the advice everyone
 CurlyStevo 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
IMO the biggest change you will see is grinding beans that you like (after trying a few). Aero pressing ground coffee that has been either ground x months ago or opened x days ago is not going to be nearly as nice as freshly ground in a french press. I tried the Aero press several times and I don't get what the hype is all about, you make the coffee far more like a French press than an esspresso as first you mix the grounds in to boiling water and let sit for 30 secs.
Post edited at 16:50
 hamsforlegs 12 May 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Definitely agree on the grinding your own beans thing - probably one thing that I'd be confident of being able to tell in a blind test most of the time, particularly if the coffee had been bought more than a couple of days ago.

Don't quite agree on the aeropress though - if you grind really fine (not quite espresso but close) and use a decent dose you can get a deeper, more aromatic cup than with a French press IMO, but that's only a subjective improvement! I agree you can get a good cup from a press - fine grind, big dose, short brew time and decant as soon as ready. I just find it less reliable and much messier. I do agree that this is a good option for African coffees and similar as it gives them more body.

I've got that Dualit grinder. Definitely good value. Mine has given up the ghost on the finer settings now though after a couple of years' use, which is fair enough really!

I love the ritual of a stovetop but have never managed to get a brew that I can live with daily. Might give it another go after the recommendations on here.
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> IMO the biggest change you will see is grinding beans that you like (after trying a few). Aero pressing ground coffee that has been either ground x months ago or opened x days ago is not going to be nearly as nice as freshly ground in a french press. I tried the Aero press several times and I don't get what the hype is all about, you make the coffee far more like a French press than an esspresso as first you mix the grounds in to boiling water and let sit for 30 secs.

I've tried a few so far, and I must say I do like Carluccio's beans the best. As I bought the aeropress I tried one of their (Prufrock's) Americanos - had a very nice and unique "top-end", but was lacking in the middle and lower.

I have no doubt you're correct regarding grinding my own beans. I'll certainly be looking to buy one asap (second hand most likely). I am under the impression that a french press makes gritty coffee though? I also don't see the difference between a french press and an aeropress, but only went for the latter because I know they're portable. If I find that even with home-ground beans + aeropress it's still lacking I'll try an espresso machine
Post edited at 17:02
 CurlyStevo 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
Espresso coffee isn't necessarily better different is a better description. Smoother I think yes and but also less taste in general. For reference personally I'm not mad on espressos (although they can be welcome at times) and drink my coffee black.

French Press coffee I don't find gritty. If you want a fine grind and to make fast more like an aeropress you will end up with with a bit of sludge at the bottom of the cup, but just don't drink the last bit, problem solved. Aeropress is more hassle to make IMO and unless you are using a fine grind then I see no advantage to a french press and even with a fine grind the advantage is small for more hassle to make.
Post edited at 17:11
 springfall2008 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Nespresso machine and aftermarket capsules (e.g. Dual-it) is really good and 20-30p a cup!
 Jimbo C 12 May 2016
In reply to telemark:

> I am so going to try this! Do you heat it up again? Microwave? Does it actually matter once you've had a sip?!

Good coffee is OK cold, but better to heat it up in the microwave, stick in your thermos and stay wired all day at the crag.
 Jimbo C 12 May 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:

> I use a moka pot with freshly ground beans and pre-boiled water. The key prevent the coffee from tasting bitter is to minimized the run time.

Ahh, that might be where I'm going wrong with mine. I stopped using it because I always got a bitter, metallic taste. Tried 2 kinds, one aluminium, one stainless steel but same result.
 John2 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

A good grinder is definitely worth the money. I used to use a De'Longhi, which was very good value for money, but when it broke down I bought a Baratza https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baratza-Virtuoso-Coffee-Grinder-Watt/dp/B006MLQHRG... . Believe it or not, the coffee really does taste better.
 Dave B 12 May 2016
In reply to icnoble:

http://www.coffeetastingclub.com/rhinowares-hand-coffee-grinder?gclid=CMbZl...

This is my grinder. Use with either moka or aeropress. Prefer the taste of the moka pot coffee, tbh. I like the slightly burnt flavour. I'm also happy with 6 month old ground coffee, so what do I know...

Where is num num to talk about mellow birds and his use of Grindr?

timmeehhhh 12 May 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

This was also a revelation for me! The bitter taste is caused by overheating, while the metallic taste can be prevented by using just water for washing. This enables a thin film of coffee oil to remain on the inside of the pot, which protects the flavour.

Ramblin dave 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> How much better would you say freshly ground versus well-stored pre-ground coffee is? (obviously the longer you stored the pre-grounds the worse they'd get).

I suspect that it depends a lot on the beans. If you like modern light roast beans with big, fruity, aromatic flavors then freshly ground is noticeably better. If you prefer classic Italian-style dark roasts then it makes a lot less difference IME.

FWIW I prefer the former and have a Porlex Tall hand grinder for home and a Baratza Encore electric at work. Very happy with both. And after using both regularly, I think I'd favour an Aeropress over a Moka pot.

Whatever you do, get the best beans you can, though.
 aln 12 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

You think £2 for tea and a croissant is expensive? Where?
OP SenzuBean 12 May 2016
In reply to aln:

> You think £2 for tea and a croissant is expensive? Where?

No - I think it's a damn bargain. But I don't eat croissants anymore, and my partner is about to quit them too - and there's no discount for forgoing the croissant, so £2 for a good coffee is okay by me, but £2 for just a tea bag in a disposable cup is not worth £2.
 mike123 13 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
Firstly, I just pressed dislike instead of reply , I wondered how often that happens ? ( and as to the four other " dislikes ......eh ? )
Any road up , Bella barista mentioned above ,
https://www.bellabarista.co.uk
Well worth a look .
Also
https://www.coffeehit.co.uk
And for coffee machine pron
http://synesso.com
Post edited at 07:37
 CurlyStevo 13 May 2016
In reply to icnoble:

It looks like a nice grinder but unless you are using a very expensive espresso machine its also total overkill IMO.
OP SenzuBean 13 May 2016
In reply to mike123:

> Firstly, I just pressed dislike instead of reply , I wondered how often that happens ? ( and as to the four other " dislikes ......eh ? )

Who knows! Probably all Carluccio's managers who don't want me to make my own coffee at home.

> Any road up , Bella barista mentioned above ,

> Well worth a look .

> Also

> And for coffee machine pron

Cheers for the links
 olliehales 13 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I have just started ordering beans from pactcoffee.com

You can have them pre-ground or left alone. I am going to pick up a hario mini burr grinder, and use with my aeropress.

Until now I have just been using Lavazza beans with the aeropress, using a cheap blade grinder.

To be honest, I find this tastes good! However my friend assures me fresh beans and a better grinder will produce more favourable results.

Will wait and see I can recommend the aeropress, tis cheap and relatively faff free.
OP SenzuBean 13 May 2016
In reply to olliehales:

> I have just started ordering beans from pactcoffee.com

> You can have them pre-ground or left alone. I am going to pick up a hario mini burr grinder, and use with my aeropress.

> Until now I have just been using Lavazza beans with the aeropress, using a cheap blade grinder.

> To be honest, I find this tastes good! However my friend assures me fresh beans and a better grinder will produce more favourable results.

> Will wait and see I can recommend the aeropress, tis cheap and relatively faff free.

Thanks Ollie.
I've got an aeropress, and later on today I'll give it a go for the first time. I've ordered a second-hand grinder as well that'll arrive next week, so just bought some pre-ground coffee to test later today. Hopefully it goes well!
In reply to SenzuBean:

We have a Gaggia Bean-to-cup machine for about £500. It is a pretty good compromise between good coffee and no messing about.

The worst thing about it is that it is so easy to get a coffee you end up drinking a lot more of them.
 nickprior 13 May 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I've often wondered how these could work for us. Do you just pour a bag of beans in and effectively use it to store them, or do you just put in the beans you need at a given time? If you put all the beans in at once how fresh do they stay? Or are you now getting through so much you don't have a problem with freshness?!!
In reply to telemark:

> I've often wondered how these could work for us. Do you just pour a bag of beans in and effectively use it to store them, or do you just put in the beans you need at a given time? If you put all the beans in at once how fresh do they stay? Or are you now getting through so much you don't have a problem with freshness?!!

The hopper seems to to just right to take a whole (smallish) bag of beans from Sainsbury. So usually we just fill it up a bag at a time. Sometimes we buy fancier beans in bigger bags and get multiple refills from one bag. One of the drawbacks of the hopper taking a whole bag is you can't (easily) switch about between different types of beans. There's is a separate place where you can put in a cups worth of ground coffee although we never use it.

Never thought about freshness, there's two of us drinking two or three cups a day and a bag doesn't last that long. The hopper has a plastic lid that fits reasonably tight, it won't be as good as a sealed bag but it's probably a bit better than just leaving beans open to the air.

I wouldn't claim to have much of a palate, chances are I won't even notice a lot of the subtle differences real coffee enthusiasts go on about.
 icnoble 13 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Coffee forums UK is well worth signing up to, lots of good information on all aspects of coffee making.

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum.php

icnoble 13 May 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> It looks like a nice grinder but unless you are using a very expensive espresso machine its also total overkill IMO.

I do have a very good espresso machine. I have had the grinder for about 8 years when it cost only £300. It gets used every day and there is no sign of wear on the grinding plates. If ever I am in the position of not being able to drink coffee I am sure I will get my money back.
 icnoble 13 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Rave coffee gets good comments, the Signature blend is good and only £16 kg

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/
 icnoble 13 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Rave coffee gets good comments, the Signature blend is good and only £16 kg

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/
 Alyson 13 May 2016
In reply to icnoble:

> Rave coffee gets good comments, the Signature blend is good and only £16 kg

Can confirm - is awesome. I usually make espresso with it but it's good in the aeropress too.

CurlyStevo 13 May 2016
In reply to icnoble:
The point was that the op is using an aeropress a grinder costing several hundred pounds is total overkill for an aeropress IMO.
Post edited at 13:32
 krikoman 14 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I make mine in the normal way then pour the contents of a black permanent marker into the cup.

It sometimes make you wee look a bit strange though.
 nickprior 14 May 2016
In reply to krikoman:

I hope that's a freshly opened black marker and not one you've had lying around for a while on the shelf ....
ultrabumbly 14 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> What brand is it? Very interesting to hear that you've stopped using your espresso machine over it!

The best ones are Bialetti imo. You can get knock off copies but usually only for a few quid less and if you don't centre them over the flame the handles melt. They seem to come up on amazon's deals of the day every now and again as I got a new 4 cup on recently. John Lewis seem to have them on sale every now and again. On most gas stoves you would need a narrower thingamabob to use a 4 cup or smaller safely.

I do the same as others suggest. Don't have the water too cold so the coffee isn't over dried before it gets wet. The other trick is to not pack the coffee too tight. I'll also make a 6 cup pot for the day and microwave it as needed. It does taste slightly different but still better than most espresso you get in the UK and I would say you wouldn't notice it other than the very first sip.
 Indy 14 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Have been using a Jura Micro Ena One for quite sometime and can really recommend as an expresso only machine. It's at the top end of your budget and won't include beans etc but what the hell its only money.

Wife has spent the last 18 months giving me grief about it not doing milk so got her a Jura A9 for valentines day. Fantastic coffee in a bean to cup format but NOT worth paying the extra for milk over the basic Micro Ena One IMHO

As others have said get good quality beans.
OP SenzuBean 15 May 2016
In reply to LJC:

So I took the aeropress to the campsite this weekend (after testing it at home on the Friday), makes really good coffee and a few others agree! Thanks to others for also recommending it. I'll see how things go when I have my own grinder and find some beans - but seems like my coffee supply issues are all sorted for now.

Thanks again everyone for giving advice.
 Philip 15 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Try Waitrose. They sell this instant granule stuff, just as water. I think Kenco do it too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...