UKC

Punk in the Gym book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 13 May 2016

Tip-toeing on ice here for fear of a blatant self-promo but would like to say a massive thank you for all the positive feedback I've received for my litttle book. Well done Andy Boorman and Vertebrate too.
Agree, it's not everyone's cuppa, but ... thank those of you kind folk sincerely from twelve thousand miles (and twenty five years) ago.
Be well all. And safe.
Enjoy,
Cheers,
Andy.
Post edited at 09:21
 Jay222 13 May 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

I've just ordered it, as a fellow dyserth native I can't wait to read it
 remus Global Crag Moderator 13 May 2016

I'd like to add my praise to the pile Andy. Thanks for a really great read! Right up there with the best biographies I've read, maybe even better than Jerry's...
 John2 13 May 2016

I hope your other reader enjoyed it as much as I did, Andy.
OP AP Melbourne 13 May 2016
In reply to Jay222:

Heck Jay222:, Dyserth eh? Have a pint for us in the 'Bod' please - or that pub opposite the church where my Mum was recently buried ... ta.
Funny with the (obvious) comparisons to Ron, Jerry, Ben, Steve Mac, Johnny D et al from my era, but I don't recall any of them still admitting to wetting the bed in their forties, dating a stripper, then a professional dominatrix and ... and ... there's even some climbing in it too, ha!
Another big thanks - especially to my old friends who contributed their pieces.
Dyserth. Punches the air ...
Best all,
Cheers,
And.
 james mann 13 May 2016

I enjoyed it very much. Engaging, honest and unusual. I couldn't recommend it more.

James
 Barrington 13 May 2016

A cracking read, but shocking viewing..... You put in pics of yourself in pink lycra, but not the striped "Andy Pandy" jobs, they were off the scale! I never had the courage to wear anything more daring than trakie-bottoms.
 Stone Idle 13 May 2016

Andy, a great read and a good title, if not as good as your suggestion. Could well win BT.
 danm 13 May 2016

Really enjoyed it, candid, funny and occasionally rather ribald. It felt very honest without too much polish and all the better for it. Right, I'm off down the Porter Cottage for a jar or two
OP AP Melbourne 14 May 2016
In reply to danm:

Ta danm and all above, means a heck of a lot that to this daft old has-been.
My property developer friend Martin (ex-Sheffield from the book) emailed me his pics of the Porter Cottage and the Lescar from his recent visit home - brought back fond memories ...
Have a peent for me danm kid.
Cheers,
Andy.

Shani 14 May 2016

Just finished it. Loved it. Great photos, great routes, great stories that are told with real warmth and humanity. This punk has gone ahead and made my day.*

*ithangyou
 slab_happy 14 May 2016

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the book. Also, as a side note, I really appreciate your being so open in it about having bipolar.

I don't know whether climbers are crazier than the rest of the population, but either way, there are a lot of us living with mental illness and/or non-standard brains of one kind or another (the plain unipolar kind of depression in my case, though I do have the Asperger's syndrome to jazz it up a bit). But there's still a lot of stigma and misinformation about.

Any time anyone's open about it, I think it helps make it a bit easier for the rest of us.

Thank you.
OP AP Melbourne 14 May 2016
In reply to slab_happy:
Thank you slab_happy, (be well) and those above too.
It's a funny (not ha-ha) thing but when I started writing 'The Pollitt Bureau' it was like a 'goodbye world, I want out so'll leave you with this ...' as I'd been laid off work (my passion in life).
Whether our words make it in to print is irrelevent in a way but the process of writing is the most cathartic thing ever. Guess I was lucky that Vertebrate took it up - Andy who?
'It' comes and goes ... but, as I sit here topless in the warm Melbourne evening at 11pm with my cold beer and making contact with unknown lovely people I wouldn't be dead for quids.
Be well, please.
And. xx
Post edited at 13:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...