UKC

Current midgies situation in Glen Coe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dsiska 13 May 2016
Would anyone who's recently been to Glen Coe be able to tell me how bad the midgies are at the moment? I am thinking of going with the kids to the Red Squirrel campsite but I don't want to spend the whole evening being eaten alive.

Alternatively, is one still allowed to camp behind the King's House hotel? I would guess that it's higher & windier so there might be fewer of the beasts?

Thanks in advance!
 RyanOsborne 13 May 2016
In reply to dsiska:

> Red Squirrel campsite

I think that place is always a midge hell? Hence the 'no refunds on camping' sign at the gate? The YHA is nice though!
 Joak 13 May 2016
In reply to dsiska:

A few busy bumble bees and some butterfly's yesterday. Nae midges whatsover.
 OwenM 13 May 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Not felt any midges yet it's too early for them. By the end of the mouth it could be different.
 Andes 13 May 2016
In reply to dsiska:

Not quite Glencoe, but up near Plockton they got seriously bad last night.
 Simon Caldwell 13 May 2016
In reply to dsiska:

None at all in Knoydart last weekend and that's usually bad for them. But this week's warm weather may well have brought them out. It's due to get cold again for the weekend though so maybe the frosts will kill a few off
OP dsiska 16 May 2016
In reply to dsiska:

Thanks everyone. I decided to take the risk and it was fine on Saturday. Next week could be different given how warm it was . But it's very dry; perhaps that is bad for them.
 Bulls Crack 16 May 2016
In reply to dsiska:

Dry is good negative midge presence -wise. I had 2 glorious holidays in the 90's on the Wet Coast when there were none and we swam in warm water at Sand in Applecross with the Cuillin shimmering in the heat haze...

Or was it just a dream?
Jim C 17 May 2016
In reply to dsiska:

None in Glen Etive on Saturday. Not even in the shady gully that I descended into

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...