UKC

Can you outrun a wildfire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 13 May 2016
I am following a small path and reach a point where the glen steepens and narrows. Soon the glen is reduced to steep sided ravine, below me the hillside ends in an abrupt fifty-foot drop into the churning river water. Moments ago, I was in the open glen above, and the smell of smoke seemed a long way off. It was almost comforting, its odour of burning peat reminding me of happy nights beside bothy fires. Now the smoke seems much closer and my eyes are beginning to stream.

I turn a blind corner in the ravine and realise instantly I’m trapped. The fire is sweeping down towards the only path and, in the narrow confines of the gorge, I have nowhere to go. What surprises me is that the fire is burning down towards me. I had always thought that fire burnt up so that I should be quite safe in the valley floor with any fire heading up the slope above me. This fire, oblivious to the laws of physics, is making its way down the hill and heading straight for me. Now it is only a few feet away and about to envelop the path. I need to act fast, I need to move quickly. I need to run, I am certain of that, the only problem is, which way?

I am in the wrong place, and this is the wrong time.

Read more here
https://johndburns.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/can-you-outrun-a-wildfire/
 Welsh Kate 13 May 2016
In reply to John Burns:

Great piece, John. Glad your decision making and athleticism paid off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...