UKC

Munros without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 14 May 2016
Morning! Help me please with a little armchair plotting on this sunny Saturday - I am using you dear folks as a short-cut to research that I could do in other ways, but perhaps some will enjoy sharing!

Scotland is a long train ride away from me here in Flatland; I don't want to take the car; atm I can only get to Scotland for very short trips of two or three days (that will change in a couple of years' time); I don't want to be carrying camping gear.

So ... essentially I'm after Munros that don't need a car or a bike, so can be attacked either straight from the train, getting back to the station by nightfall, or reach-able from somewhere I can stay the night without a walk-in so long that I can't get back.

THank you!
Lizzie

Derek Jamieson 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'm no expert but Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh the Bridge of Orchy munros would fit the bill (you would need to check the train times though. The Ben would also be ok.

Enjoy

Deek
 fuzzysheep01 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Corrour station is a good place for that sort of thing. You could manage Beinn na Lap, Sgor Gaibhre and Carn Dearg, some of the Ben Alder hills as well in separate days. The trains are pretty few and far between if I remember correctly, so could require a good book to read at the station in case you have a couple of hours to kill. I think there may be a bunkhouse or something at the station too. Leum Uiliem (forgive spelling) to the south of the station is a cracking Corbett too - easily doable in 2-3 hours. A far more impressive hill than some of the bigger Munros nearby. Other stations that spring to mind: Dalwhinnie for Meall Chuaich, Fort William for Nevis, Crianlarich for the Munros around there - Beinn a Chabhair, An Caisteal etc..., Bridge of Orchy for all of the Munros there - Dothaidh, Dorain etc., Tyndrum station too. North of the great Glen there are loads of options too, but I don't want to turn this into too mega an essay. Have fun planning.
andymac 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:
Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh(spelling) Horseshoe.an impressive Dam as well,on the way up.

Off the train at Loch Awe station.

There are a few other Munros across the Glen from the Horseshoe also

Edit.in the summer only ,the train stops at Falls of Cruachan.near enough at the bottom of the path.
If I park beside the A85 ,I start the ascent from directly below the track.
Post edited at 09:55
In reply to fuzzysheep01:

> Corrour station is a good place for that sort of thing. You could manage Beinn na Lap, Sgor Gaibhre and Carn Dearg, some of the Ben Alder hills as well in separate days.

Worth pointing out that you if coming from Southern England a Friday night train can drop you off saturday morning and the Sunday night train will have you at Euston for 7 Monday morning. A colleague did this a few weekends back. The supplement for a sleeper isn't huge. She spent Saturday night in Corrour Youth Hostel

DerwentDiluted 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Achnasheen is right next to one, who's name escapes me, Fionn Beinn? ?? or similar. That said, Achnasheen is a hole quite without interest or redemption, and the hotel puts money into the nefarious Ledagowan estate. So err.. ignore this suggestion totally, unless you hitch on to the glory that is Torridon.
 d_b 14 May 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

We do not speak of Fionn Bheinn!

Ramblin dave 14 May 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

> Worth pointing out that you if coming from Southern England a Friday night train can drop you off saturday morning and the Sunday night train will have you at Euston for 7 Monday morning. A colleague did this a few weekends back. The supplement for a sleeper isn't huge. She spent Saturday night in Corrour Youth Hostel

Yeah, I've done long weekends that way once or twice. Helps to have an office with a shower, though.

But generally, there's loads of hills in Scotland that are accessible from the train - using public transport from London it's probably actually more convenient to do a long weekend in the Highlands than in North Wales or the Lakes. Off the top of my head:
* pretty much every stop North from Arrochar on the West Highland Line has some walkable hills
* Blair Atholl is a good jumping off point for the hills around Glen Tilt and Glen Tarf
* Dalwhinnie for the hills either side of Drumochter
* Newtonmore for the Monadh Liadh munros
* there's a bus up from Aviemore to the ski centre, although I can't remember how conveniently it meets the sleeper

Achnashellach and Glenfinnan both have good options too, although they're a bit less convenient for timings with the trains.
drmarten 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I remember a guy on scottishhills.com who did a lot of hills by public transport, a bit of searching found me his site, or at least a page which should go some way to getting you started. http://steverabone.com/MunroWalker/munros_by_public_transport.htm

Phil1919 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Worth doing a bit of training (running) and go lightweight in the hills, jogging anything flat or downhill. It will extend your range. 2 from Glenfinnan plus a nice bothy en route which has electricity.
 Phil1919 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Good post. if you use a car for Munros, they don't really count.
 GreatApe 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Most of the hills along the West Highland Way are doable by public transport using Glasgow <> Fort William Citylink buses or the train. Cicerone's "Not the West Highland Way" is a good resource for these routes.

I've done the Arrochar Hills, Ben Lui, and the Black Mount without a car. You might have a slightly longer walk in but perfectly doable.

If you combine train and bus you have some nice options for linear A>B walks.

Plenty of accommodation options in Arrochar, Tyndrum, Crianlarich, and Bridge of Orchy.
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A bit of an esoteric trip but Ben Klibreck can be done using the train plus an overnight stay.

Train to Kinbrace, stay at the Garvault hotel (persuade Graham to pick you up from the station).

Speak to the Badanloch Estate and Graham and try to sort a lift to Gearnsary or even to Loch Choire House, needs to be done otherwise it's too far for most people (and trying to sort gives you a good insight to what it is like living in such a remote area).

If you have an extra day spend some time exploring the flow country, maybe a walk from Altnabreac to Forsinard.

If you manage to get the hotel to yourself on a wet and windy day (not to hard to do) you will be in for a memory that will last - just don't laugh when Doreen serves breakfast wearing a shower cap. The best review of the hotel I've seen is here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotels/4448138/Britains-most-isolated-hot...
 Trangia 14 May 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

> Worth pointing out that you if coming from Southern England a Friday night train can drop you off saturday morning and the Sunday night train will have you at Euston for 7 Monday morning. A colleague did this a few weekends back. The supplement for a sleeper isn't huge. She spent Saturday night in Corrour Youth Hostel

I really recommend the sleeper train. It's a great way to travel up to and from Scotland (not Saturday nights though)
 d_b 14 May 2016
In reply to fuzzysheep01:

There's a hostel at Tulloch as well, which puts you in range of a few hills.
OP BusyLizzie 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Wow, what a lot of replies - thank you all so much.

Yes, I've used the sleeper train to and from Fort William, and been at my desk bright and perky by 0830 afterwards - marvellous! So nice going north and waking up to find mountains outside the windows.

Anyway, there's lots to digest here and some marvellous ideas that I don't think I could have discovered by myself. Later this evening I will sit down with a map, and may come back with questions. Huge thanks to all - too many of you to thank individually.
Lxx
 ogreville 14 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

-cruach ardrain or ben more from crianlarich train station
- ben lui or ben challum from tyndrum

OP BusyLizzie 14 May 2016
In reply to drmarten:

What a brilliant website - thank you!
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Don't just think about trains, the buses along the A82 are really useful and much more frequent. Maybe get the Not the West Highland Way book, it has lots of routes over the top of munros and accessible from the A82.

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/615/title/not-the-west-hi...
OP BusyLizzie 15 May 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

> Worth doing a bit of training (running) and go lightweight in the hills, jogging anything flat or downhill.

I like that idea very much. I do run, but don't get off-road very often because of location. Hmm, will ponder along with the rest of the splendid ideas on here.
llechwedd 15 May 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

> Good post. if you use a car for Munros, they don't really count.

Haven't you heard of "micro-adventures"?

Robert Durran 15 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> We do not speak of Fionn Bheinn!

I quite like Fionn Bheinn.
 Phil1919 15 May 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

Not sure what you mean.
 Sean Kelly 15 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

From Fort William you can get the West Highland Line to Mallaig then a short ferry (check connections) ride across to Knoydart to tick off those really remote Munros, about 4/5 to go at!
Removed User 15 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

My late departed pal Ted Jackson did all his Munros by public transport from his home in Preston. Working for the railways he had a discount priv card which he skillfully nosed out irregular buses to remote corners of the Highlands to compleate in the Glen Lyon hills.
OP BusyLizzie 15 May 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

What fun. A good reason to work for the railways!
 Mike-W-99 15 May 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Train to Strath Carron. Walk to Coire Fionnairich bothy (a great spot).
From there there are 3 munros & 2 corbetts that are easily accessible. We stayed 2 nights and walked back to achnashellach.
 d_b 15 May 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

You know how it is. Everyone has a hill or route that they always seem to have a bad time on. Fionn Bheinn is mine.
 fimm 21 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:
Train to Fort William.
Taxi (we may have used this company, I cannot remember: http://www.westhighlandtaxis.com/ ) to Loch Quoich, or another suitable spot.
Walk to Knoydart.
Boat to Mallaig.
Train to Fort William.
You might want a long weekend for this one!

Also, Achnashellach station gives you good access to the 3 Coulin Forest Munros (and a couple of very fine Corbetts, plus a the Munros to the south of the road.

Ah. Just re-read your OP about not wanting to camp. The Knoydart trip requires camping or bothies.
Post edited at 15:37
 Andy Johnson 21 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thursday night sleeper train to Aviemore, arriving early morning. Bus to Cairn Gorm ski centre car park. Hit the hills, over-nighting in bothies or Glenmore SYHA. Reverse the journey on Sunday evening, arriving home on Monday morning.
 malky_c 21 Jun 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

The hotel isn't owned by the estate (or at least it wasn't a couple of years ago), so a bit of unfair tarring there.
OP BusyLizzie 22 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Ooh, my thread has woken up again. Thank you Fimm and Andyjohnson0.

I haven't had a go at any of the wonderful ideas on this thread yet because the occasions when I can get to Scotland are very few and far between. But I spend quite a bit of time thinking about it and it's nice to have some plans up my sleeve for when it's possible.
 Howard 23 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

What is your objection to using a bike ? They are very useful if you have no car. One one occasion I did Beinn Dearg & Carn a Chlamain after taking the sleeper from London to Pitlochry, then went on to do Beinn Dearg and Carn a Chlamain from Blair Atholl.
Another time I attempted two of the Braemar Munros without a car. Plane to Aberdeen, bus Aberdeen to Braemar, hired a bike in Braemar, then cycled to Linn of Dee, left the bike North of Derry Lodge and attempted Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain from Glen Geusachan. Very, very tiring but good fun.
Nowadays I always take my car!
OP BusyLizzie 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Howard:
> What is your objection to using a bike ?

None in principle, but I didn't know you could take a bike on the sleeper ... I will ponder that option, thank you.
Post edited at 19:56
 Howard 25 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I very rarely took a bike on the train, I always hired one at my destination. In Braemar, I always hired from Braemar Mountain Sports. http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/
OP BusyLizzie 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Howard:

> I very rarely took a bike on the train, I always hired one at my destination. In Braemar, I always hired from Braemar Mountain Sports. http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/

Good point, thank you.
Gone for good 27 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I find ritual prostration is a slow but steady way of making ones way around without a car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...