UKC

Fatal Climbing Accident in Avon Gorge in 1976

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bill Loughlin 14 May 2016
I am seeking information regarding a fatal climbing accident that occurred in Avon Gorge in about April 1976.

Two persons were killed and one survived.

One of the fatalities was Jon Gross, an American student at Oxford University.

My understanding was that he was leading a three-person team. The second person fell, the rock failed, Jon and the second (middle) climber were killed, and the third person survived.

I would be grateful for any information on this fatal accident and/or for suggestions on how I might proceed with my research.

Thank You
 Derek Furze 14 May 2016
In reply to Bill Loughlin:

I spent a fair bit of time in Bristol and the gorge in 1976 and 1977, but know nothing of a fatal accident. However, Steve Findlay was endlessly helpful to us two school leavers, providing us with advice on exactly the right route to attempt next. Each route was just a little bit more testing than the last and by the time we had completed the harder HVS's (Beard of Ffoeg Nosam - now E2), extremes elsewhere seemed like a well-protected walk. Your post reminded me of his generosity and thoughtful mentorship and as he was a fixture in the Gorge, I'm sure he will be along to help your research if he sees the post.
 EddInaBox 15 May 2016

I dug these reports up with a bit of searching, I think it makes the date of the accident 26th April 1976.

The Cincinnati Enquirer : Thursday, April 29, 1976

American Student-Climber Killed BRISTOL, England (AP) American student Jonathan Gross, 20, fell 100 feet to his death Wednesday in a climbing accident in the Avon Gorge near Bristol in southwest England, police reported. Gross, a student at Columbia University in New York on a short-term study program at Oxford University, was the leader of a climbing team scaling the sheer-sided gorge when the accident occurred, a spokesman said. Another American - 20-year-old Stephen Blake, studying international politics at Brown University, Providence, R.I., and also attending Oxford, was injured In the accident, police said. The spokesman said Gross came from New Jersey and Blake from Port Byron, N.Y. A third American in the group, Thomas Beaton, 20, of Lincoln, Mass., escaped unhurt, police reported.

The Des Moines Register : Friday, April 30, 1976

Student critical after cliff-climbing fall BRISTOL, ENGLAND (AP) - Stephen Blake, a 20-year-old Brown University student studying In England, was in critical condition with head injuries Thursday after a cliff-climbing fall that killed another American student. A third American student was unhurt in the accident. Blake, of Port Byron, N.Y., fell 100 feet Wednesday after losing his footing on the face of the Avon Gorge on the outskirts of Bristol. Jonathan Gross, 19, a Columbia University student from Murray Hill, N. J., was dragged down to his death when Blake fell. Gross, who had been giving a climbing lesson to Blake and Tom Beaton, a 20-year-old Princeton University student from Lincoln, Mass., died of a fractured skull, a coroner's Inquest was told Thursday. Beaton was unhurt.

Detroit Free Press : Friday, April 30, 1976

Cliff Climber Dies in Fall BRISTOL, England-(AP)-A cliff-climbing fall killed one American student and left another severely injured Wednesday. A third was unhurt. Stephen Blake. 20, of Port Byron, N.Y., suffered critical head injuries when he fell 100 feet afler losing his footing on the face of the Avon Gorge, on the outskirts of Bristol. Jonathan Gross, 19 a Columbia University student from Murray Hill, N.J., was dragged down to his death when Blake fell. Gross, who had been giving a climbing lesson to Blake and Tom Beaton, a 20-year-old Princeton University student from Lincoln, Mass., died of a fractured skull, a coroner's inquest was told Thursday. Blake is a Brown University student.
 stewieatb 15 May 2016

Oxford University Mountaineering Club may be able to help - I'm not sure what kind of archives/records they have, but it's possible they were OUMC members or even on an organised trip.
Bill Loughlin 16 May 2016
In reply to Derek Furze:

Thank you for your response, Ian Parsons directed me to an article that appeared in Mountain Magazine, page 17 of #50 (July/August 1976), under the heading "Coroner calls for Avon climb ban"

The article provided me the information that I was seeking.

Thanks again!

Bill
In reply to EddInaBox:

Thank you very much for your response.

I was also directed to an article that appeared in Mountain Magazine, page 17 of #50 (July/August 1976), under the heading "Coroner calls for Avon climb ban"

Thanks again!

Bill
In reply to stewieatb:

Thank you very much for your response.

I was also directed to an article that appeared in Mountain Magazine, page 17 of #50 (July/August 1976), under the heading "Coroner calls for Avon climb ban"

Thanks again!

Bill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...