UKC

Selling a car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 14 May 2016

I'm getting new car in about 4 weeks (delivery date to be confirmed) and I need to sell my current car. It has a few battle wounds - a 1" chip out of one of the rear lights (taped and passes mot every year) it's 10 years old and only 109K on the clock. Sat nav doesn't read the disc (but I think it's the disc not the player as my pc can't read it either). and it has a nice collection of dings and scrapes from people driving into it in car parks and kids jumping out of mummy's SUV in car parks.

The car has had a lot of new parts (clutch, dual mass flywheel, clutch master cylinder, drive shafts, steering pump, water pump) all fitted in the last year so in theory is going to be good mechanically for a while now it certainly still pulls like a train and handles nicely

It's a jag estate and still looks good if you don't look too close parkers says £2800-2500, We buy any car with honest damage added is quoting £1700

Would you a) advertise privately as is?
b)speak to we buy any car etc?
c)spend £80 on a new tail light and £100 on cosmetic fixes to bump up the value and sell privately?

Ideally of course I would dispose of this car the day before my new one is delivered but I can manage with out a car for a week or so
Post edited at 23:54
 neuromancer 15 May 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I'd tidy the major bits as cheaply as possible (eBay a new rear cluster probably).

Then put it on eBay and gumtree and use autotrader to give you a price (as in compare it to similars).

I've found most luck being brutally honest in adverts (that doesn't mean you can't big up the good bits - eg I would be stressing 'all mechanical niggles fixed 1000's spent this year new clutch' etc
 Queenie 15 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I agree with previous post, it's worked for me. Buyers seem to trust you more if you lay out all the pros and cons. Ebay is useful as there's plenty of space on your ad to give full story and pics.

WBAC take a massive chunk and I'd be loathed to let them have it.
 alan moore 15 May 2016
Wouldn't spend any money on it at this stage. Stick it in Auto Trader with a hopeful price and see who turns up.
 Rob Exile Ward 15 May 2016

The last couple of cars we've disposed of, we've thought about selling privately etc but by the time you factor in test drives, dealing with time wasters, answering questions, avoiding being ripped off etc we came to the conclusion that life is too short, and what we lost in money by going with webuyanycar we more than made up for by it taking about a half hour and zero stress.
 Fraser 15 May 2016

If you're not too fussed about maxing out your sale price, I'd go option a. I'd avoid WBAC, from anecdotal evidence you never get the price they initially quote. My own route would be option c. I'm surprised a taped light lens got you through the MOT, but if it were me is definitely fix what can be done easily, and state the rest in the advert on autotrader to weed out the fusspots and tyre-kickers. Good luck.
 Mike Stretford 15 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> The last couple of cars we've disposed of, we've thought about selling privately etc but by the time you factor in test drives, dealing with time wasters, answering questions, avoiding being ripped off etc we came to the conclusion that life is too short, and what we lost in money by going with webuyanycar we more than made up for by it taking about a half hour and zero stress.

I've sold privately a couple of times. Each time I've made atleast 500 quid over the wbac or trade in price for what amounts to about 2 hours works. That's not a bad hourly rate. Daft emails just get ignored and if the advert's right there won't be any questions. Each time the first visitor bought it...... I think it's a myth that there's some army of time wasters who go round kicking tyres. Buyers don't want to waste their own time.
Post edited at 10:29
 Mike Stretford 15 May 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin: wbac will knock you down more so I'd go a), and price it to sell. Aim to make a few hundred quid over what they'll give you and it should sell quick without you having to take it anywhere.

cander 15 May 2016

Depends where you live - selling privately via auto trader is fine if your near lots of potential buyers, but there is a strong chance of frustration from time wasters . If like us, you're in the middle of nowhere then WBAC might result in a quicker sale (but won't get you as much money).

Just remember if you have a private buyer, do not let the car out of your sight until the money is in your bank account or have a handful of twenties!
 CMcBain 15 May 2016

I'd avoid WBAC like the plague, perhaps go in to see what they will buy for then price it £300-500 more for a quick private sale. I took my fairly pristine mondeo estate there and their final offer was maybe £1500-2000 less than the online estimate. They won't take any mechanical aspects in account either so long as the engine starts but they'll hammer you for any cosmetic marks.

Most time wasters can easily be weeded out by one phonecall, first person that came up to view mine bought it. Came and collected with cash and was a fairly pleasant transaction compared to a part ex or WBAC where you know your probably getting shafted.
 Siward 16 May 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

WBAC gave me about half what they'd quoted for my car, on the basis that it had scratches (invisible scratches mind but they assured me they were there if you squinted and crouched down with the sun behind you). I'd avoid them like the plague.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...