UKC

Slicks on a mountain bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 16 May 2016
After some advice on tyres please.

I have a old heavy hardtail I use for commuting and for drag a trailer around with two kids in it. The bike is really heavy and with two kids of combined weight of nearly give stone now....well I find it hard!

It still has mountain bike tyres on and was looking to put some slicks/tyres with less tread to help me! Any recommendations? I do have to go up a gravel path at points so maybe not full slicks. Was looking at schwalbe marathon plus -any good??

Lynsey.
 Greasy Prusiks 16 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Schwalbe marathons are brilliant IMO. Pretty much as close to puncture proof as you'll find though they are heavy.

I'd be tempted to go for full slicks, if they're wide enough it won't give you any problems on gravel (unless the gravel is super chunky).

Hope that helps.
OP Lynsety 16 May 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Okay thanks. Wheels are 26 x 2.0 so be fairly chunky slicks yeah
 Stig 16 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Yeah you don't need any tread just for short sections of gravel. You could also go a bit narrower which will be lighter and again faster. Something like a Specialized Fat Boy. Personally think the 'Plus' bit of Marathons is a bit overkill for just general riding around - they are designed for quite hardcore commuting: potholes, glass, road debris etc.
cb294 16 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Hi,
I fitted my old hardtail with Continental Sport Contact II slicks for exactly that purpose. Schwalbe Marathons are also good, but the Contis are available in narrower sizes (26 x 1.3 / 1.6 / 2.0). Never had any issues with punctures from grit or glass, but with kid in a bike seat snakebite risk does go up a bit.

CB
 Mal Grey 16 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I have Schwalbe Marathon on my old mountain bike, now used as a commuter/shopping bike, but they're not the plus. They're more like the current Supreme. They roll much better than MTB tyres, though they're no real fast tyre and are quite heavy. They seem pretty indestructible though. I'd be happy with them on simple flat gravel, with a little care.
OP Lynsety 16 May 2016
Well that is another question - can I change for thinner wheels without a lot of bother?? Is it expensive to buy new wheels?
 DaveHK 16 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

> Well that is another question - can I change for thinner wheels without a lot of bother?? Is it expensive to buy new wheels?

You shouldn't need to. Most MTB rims will work fine with 1.25" or 1.5" slicks.
cb294 16 May 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I used the narrow (26x1.3) Contis on the same rims as my metal studded 26 x 2 Schwalbe winter tires. No problem at all.

CB
OP Lynsety 16 May 2016
Thanks everyone, that's great. Will get some thinner tyres and ones with less friction.

Cheers.

Lynsey.
 the sheep 16 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Another vote for marathon plus, they are bombproof. Had them on my commute bike for years and have nearly worn out the rear tyre with no punctures yet! (now doomed for tonight's ride home)
 cousin nick 17 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I have Marathon plus on my commuter (Brompton). They are pretty much bombproof, but in a 26 inch MTB size they will be heavy.

I have these Nutraks on my old MTB, which is used on road and on gravel cycle tracks. Very pleased with them over the last 2 years and no punctures yet:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Nutrak-26-inch-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Tyre_41552.htm?sku...

N
 MonkeyPuzzle 17 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Running Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 2.0 on my '95 Marin Pine Mountain and never had any traction problems. Plus, you can get them in tan walls, which just look sexy.
OP Lynsety 21 May 2016
Went for the schwalbe city jets in the end. Bargain price of 8.99 at halfords!

Thanks for the advice everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...