UKC

Valley uprising

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mick t 16 May 2016
just a heads up. Now on Netflix.
0Unknown0 16 May 2016
In reply to mick t:

What did you make of it?
After all the anticipation I found it disappointing.
OP mick t 16 May 2016
In reply to Dominicandave:

just took it at face value and found it entertaining, had no major expectations
 duchessofmalfi 16 May 2016

"What did you make of it?" A dull tale of huge egos
 GridNorth 16 May 2016
In reply to mick t:
After a lot of recommendations I bought it on DVD but as I have only watched it the once I think I may have been suitably "underwhelmed"

Al
Post edited at 10:53
 AP Melbourne 16 May 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Flippin' 'eck people!
That was then! - Yosemite's 'golden years' of free climbing.
What a true, honest & accurate film about life there and then! Where were you? Being born probably and now have drones buzzing 'round doing things all smart-as (and p-ing others off with the noise).
Get real. Seriously. If there was a Stoney Middleton movie from the same or slightly later period with dirtbag dossing climbers like Dirty Derek, Chesters, Zippy, Pantpot, Jerry and err, well myself too would that attract such negativity?
Some people, honestly, shakes head and goes away again.
A flippin' P.
 GarethSL 16 May 2016
In reply to mick t:
Watched it, enjoyed it.

I read some of the breakdown reviews online (fringes folly being one of them: https://fringesfolly.com/2015/02/16/valley-downfall-how-valley-uprising-dis... ) and felt like a lot had been missed out regarding the more serious history. But then its a pop-culture, condensed story line of 60 years worth of climbing in the area, it can't cover everything.

It was very interesting to see the social side of the bum climber back then too. As well as the relationships between the rangers and climbers. Its also sad the extent at which they go, to prevent people breaking the rules. before I had my run in with the rangers (Death Valley) I thought they were just nice guys who made sure you took your litter home and rescued people who got lost.

In reality it turned out they were totally vindictive of anyone who stepped close to breaking the rules and would sneak about in the darkness eavesdropping and ambushing people in their campsites. F*cking disgraceful they are.
Post edited at 12:58
 SenzuBean 16 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

> In reality it turned out they were totally vindictive of anyone who stepped close to breaking the rules and would sneak about in the darkness eavesdropping and ambushing people in their campsites. F*cking disgraceful they are.

Just a guess - but their funding is probably tied to the number of busts they make, so they're probably encouraged to increase the number of busts by their managers. I'd love to hear if anyone knows any facts on this (I'm just speculating, I don't believe anything more than a tiny minority of park rangers would naturally become such crudmunchers).
 Trangia 16 May 2016
In reply to mick t:

I thought it was great.

I hadn't realised how vindictive the Rangers v Climbers conflict became.

I've only been to the Valley once to do part of the John Muir Trail. Found the Rangers to be really helpfull
 GarethSL 16 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I wouldn't know, we were a relatively big group of foreign students so I assume they took interest in that respect. But there was around eight of them.

Our other encounters with the law, (regular police in LA) was delightful. Really friendly neighborhood officers who came out to our camp, as they were not expecting such a large group to be staying there. Had a nice chat with them and they left a few minutes later (it was our last night and everyone was completely wasted).

By the time we left, everyone felt like we had been unnecessarily harassed by the rangers in Nevada. Yes we were drinking and some underage for the US, but in the middle of the freaking desert and there was no need for their outright rude attitudes and aggressive demeanor.

I imagine there are however some very nice rangers... Just haven't met them yet.
 paul mitchell 16 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:
AP Melbourne is none other than the legendary Andy Pollitt.His book Punk in the Gym does indeed cover some of the eccentric behaviour,both on and off the crags,from the 80's Stoney period and the rather bold contributions of himself and Redhead in Wales.Well worth the read. Mitch
Post edited at 14:51
 sdavies141 16 May 2016
In reply to mick t: thought it was a great film .... Lots of cool footage and a great story. Personally love climbing I the valley so I really appreciated it.

Also just wanted to say finished off Andy Pollit's book Punk in the Gym ... I am with the author it should have been called Pollitt Bureau. Book was superb not meaning to offend anyone but preferred the writing to Moon def on a par with Jerry Moffats

In reply to mick t:

I watched at the weekend and enjoyed it. It does of course gloss over stuff

I'm sure there were loads of times in the 80s and 90s that the 1 week rule was over looked by the Rangers. I can't remember if I was in the park more than a week but it was clear that "Sunny side" was full of long term residents in 1994. I know loads of people at that time who stayed more than a week. Now it may have got worse recently but did they must still turn a blind eye some times. Did they arrest Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson for spending 14 days on the wall.

The "Sunny side" thing was glossed over in the film. Has it gone back to being called "Camp 4"

stp 16 May 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Well said Andy and I totally agree. Yes there could have been more stuff included but then the film would have been even longer and people would have complained that it was too long. I thought it was a great documentary, both informative and fun to watch.

> would that attract such negativity?

Probably. Some people on here just spew negativity no matter what the topic. They must think being negative all the time is cool or something.
womblingfree 16 May 2016
In reply to mick t:

As someone new to climbing I found it really enjoyable, seeing how both the sport and its ethos changed. Also, I never realised some climbers were so anti authority
 kipman725 16 May 2016

Totally focused on a particular made up version of history that avoids talking about non US citizens apart from when absolutely required. Attempts to excuse the actions of the rangers.
In reply to AP Melbourne:

> Get real. Seriously. If there was a Stoney Middleton movie from the same or slightly later period with dirtbag dossing climbers like Dirty Derek, Chesters, Zippy, Pantpot, Jerry and err, well myself too would that attract such negativity?
> A flippin' P.

Now then Mr Pollitt, you just described 'One Summer' and 'The Real Thing' videos, which (in my humble opinion) are the best climbing vids made. After those vids, the Yosemite films are a bit, well, second rate.
All the best, Paul
 WaterMonkey 16 May 2016
In reply to womblingfree:

> As someone new to climbing I found it really enjoyable, seeing how both the sport and its ethos changed. Also, I never realised some climbers were so anti authority

I'm new to it too and really enjoyed it. Your last comment made me chuckle, reading this forum it's easy to think most climbers are like the politically correct, professionally offended brigade as exemplified by the flaming someone got recently for using the word 'camp'! That's certainly not true of the people I've met doing this sport!
 stella1 16 May 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

> I'm sure there were loads of times in the 80s and 90s that the 1 week rule was over looked by the Rangers. I can't remember if I was in the park more than a week but it was clear that "Sunny side" was full of long term residents in 1994. I know loads of people at that time who stayed more than a week. Now it may have got worse recently but did they must still turn a blind eye some times. Did they arrest Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson for spending 14 days on the wall.

I don't think time spent sleeping on the wall counts as camping.

I thought that the documentary was alright, some nice clips, hard to really include a more detailed history without it becoming too long.
In reply to SenzuBean:

>Just a guess - but their funding is probably tied to the number of busts they make, so they're probably encouraged to increase the number of busts by their managers

Nope; any kind of quota or reward system based on arrests in constitutionally illegal in the US. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen - it's more or less ubiquitous in metropolitan PDs since the fetishisation of crime states - but much harder to get away with in a Federal agency.

The major reason for the shift in the LEO (Law Enforcement) branch of the ranger service is the huge number of military veterans. Because they are given (by law) preferential consideration for federal and law enforcement employment it's now almost impossible for anyone coming from a more traditional ranger background to make a long term career; you're just tied in to seasonal contracts at different 'units' (parks to you and me) with very little hope of permanent employment.

This has led to a noticeable shift in attitudes.

The other issue, to be fair, is the overwhelming visitor numbers now in Yosemite Valley during the summer. The attitude in less popular Parks (e.g. Joshua Tree) is a little more easy-going, but still the 'Tool-factor' is evident at times. Sometimes justified, sometimes not.

In reply to GarethSL:

> Our other encounters with the law, (regular police in LA) was delightful.

Depends very much on the Police Department. LAPD are pretty good now since they brought in Bill Bratton to deal with the Rodney King and Rampart fallout. LA County Sheriff's Dept though, are truly the scum of the Earth - greedy violent criminals in uniform, headed by a religious conservative with a personal 'moral' agenda.

And that sums upload enforcement in the US, including the current iteration of the Park Service. Local and internal political shenanigans and the lack of any kind of oversight for regional police organisations means that it really is just the luck of the draw whether the law enforcement agency you're dealing with has a culture of 'Protecting and Serving' itself or the public.

Will (former LA resident and friend of one or two park rangers)
 GarethSL 17 May 2016
In reply to Captain Fastrousers:

A fantastic reply and I fully agree regarding former military personnel taking jobs in law enforcement, has certainly changed the perception of police.

I also think it's fuelled the 'militarisation' of us police, who rock up to a domestic in full battle gear and assault rifles, driving armoured cars. Sad really.
 Shani 17 May 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Now then Mr Pollitt, you just described 'One Summer' and 'The Real Thing' videos, which (in my humble opinion) are the best climbing vids made.

That'd be "Total Control". Jimmy soloing Silly Arete still makes my palms sweat!

In reply to Shani:

> That'd be "Total Control". Jimmy soloing Silly Arete still makes my palms sweat!

Yes, that too )
Removed User 17 May 2016
In reply to mick t:

It didn't quite live up to the trailer but then that was impossible anyway!

Brilliant film, mostly before my time but when climbing clearly had a massive soul instead of appealing to golfers. Steve Roper has all the best quotes, except my favourite of all, viz the plane crash..."Some of these guys built houses from it."

Rock and roll.
 ScottTalbot 18 May 2016
In reply to mick t:

I really enjoyed the film, and am more than a little jealous of their carefree, make the most of life, lifestyle...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...