UKC

NEWS: IFSC Boulder World Cup Navi Mumbai: Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 May 2016
Monika Retschy securing her first IFSC Boulder World Cup medal, 3 kbThe fourth round of the IFSC Boulder World Cup took place in Navi Mumbai, India this weekend. Soaring temperatures and high humidity made for challenging conditions, which proved too much for some competitors not accustomed to climbing in the heat.

Read more
 turtlespit 16 May 2016
In reply to UKC News:

In terms of latitude, Mumbai is further south than Egypt. Seems like an odd choice for an event location going into summer.
In reply to turtlespit:

How many rounds are there in a world cup season?
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

It varies year by year, depending upon how many host nations are willing to put the money up. But there is a max of 8 and a minimum of 3. This year there are 7 plus a World Championships.

If there are more than 5 rounds you can drop one score. 5 rounds or less then all scores count.
 stp 16 May 2016
In reply to UKC News:

All in all a pretty good event I thought, particularly for a first time. If a poor third world country with little history of climbing like India can stage something this good surely Britain should be able to at least equal it. What are we waiting for?

I didn't care for the co-commentor much who seemed to be trying to big up the event at every opportunity and having him for both the semis and the final was too much. It gave the impression he did not have much confidence in the comp, when in fact it all seemed very good. I thought we might have had Shauna co-commentating for the final - a rare chance when she's not in the final.

Also there was the usual lack of coordination between film crew and commentators. Surely this could be sorted in a variety of ways without too much difficulty.

The most impressive thing for me was the two Japanese men doing the running problem first try. I'm guessing their team must have trained that kind of thing a fair bit. Great to see Miho finally get a gold too. She's been very consistent over the past few years so well deserved and surely someone to watch in the future.
xyz 16 May 2016
In reply to stp:

> If a poor third world country with little history of climbing like India

Hmmm, India is ranked 3rd in the world based on GDP (PPP), by comparison the UK is ranked 9th, oh and then there is Hampi
 remus Global Crag Moderator 16 May 2016
In reply to xyz:

> Hmmm, India is ranked 3rd in the world based on GDP (PPP), by comparison the UK is ranked 9th, oh and then there is Hampi

Not so good per capita though.

IMF: india at 122 vs uk at 25.
World bank: india at 123 vs uk at 23.
CIA: india at 131 vs UK at 30.

src: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
 stp 17 May 2016
In reply to UKC News:

8 minute highlights video for anyone who missed the full event:

http://onbouldering.com/navi-mumbai-highlights-video/#comment-27412

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...