UKC

Zika virus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 17 May 2016
Question for women of child bearing age?

Assuming you could afford it and are interested in the Olympic Games would you risk going to Rio this year?

A friend of mine had been planing a back packing trip there, but has decided not to risk it. I wonder how great an impact on the Games this disease is going to have? The same applies to the women athletes who must be having make a very difficult decision.
 humptydumpty 17 May 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> The same applies to the women athletes who must be having make a very difficult decision.

Surely most female olympians will have tried to avoid getting pregnant in the run-up to the games?
cb294 17 May 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Child bearing age is not relevant, but pregnancy is. Guess one would not want to compete with morning sickness anyway, so I guess most athletes will have taken the appropriate precautions. I would be more concerned about the water quality in the sailing and rowing events.

CB
 balmybaldwin 17 May 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:
> Surely most female olympians will have tried to avoid getting pregnant in the run-up to the games?

It doesn't just effect pregnant women. As I understand it it can cause not too pleasant symptoms in both men and women who are not pregnant and can lead to problems with future pregnancies as well as the very high risk for unborn children in the womb.

As an example I understand Jessica Ennis is minimising her exposure by flying out as late as possible.

If I was a young athlete (and female) I would be very concerned.

And as a male I will avoid south America for the time being

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&u...
Post edited at 18:49
 Yanis Nayu 17 May 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

> Surely most female olympians will have tried to avoid getting pregnant in the run-up to the games?

I think they let people go to watch...

A Russian friend of mine got a place as a volunteer, which was going to cost her 2500 euros. I asked her if she was still going, given the situation with zika and the issue with Russian athletes not being able to compete. Turns out she's not going because she found out they wanted her to work on car parking, rather than the translating she did at London and Sochi.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...