UKC

Toubkal: Marrakesh thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mysterion 17 May 2016

Some thoughts for anyone interested. Grand taxis for Imlil leave from the wall near Hotel Tazi, not out beyond Bab er Rob gate (300dh there, 200dh back!). Hotel Tazi serves a pleasantly discreet beer (50dh) and Cafe Roxe opposite a nice continental/Moroccan breakfast (25dh). The inexpensive Hotel d'Afriquia (80dh per night) seemed quiet and safe like last time. All within a 2 minute walk.

On the other hand, I took a trip out to Ouarzazate while waiting on a flight back. Don't bother, felt dangerous, people spitting as you walk past, dropping things behind you, etc. Couldn't wait to leave that shithole.
Post edited at 15:23
 mrphilipoldham 17 May 2016
In reply to mysterion:

On my descent from Toubkal, in the small village just before you hit Imlil I was greeted by the sweetest young girl of maybe 5 or 6 years. She smiled and said 'bonjour' to which I replied, and a small conversation in French followed. Once I'd exhausted my Français and she realised my true nationality she scowled, shouted 'b*****d!' and walked off in a huff.
 Tom Guitarist 18 May 2016
In reply to mysterion:

I'm heading there in just over a week solo.

Got a night in Imlil booked on the Monday, then hoping to head up Toubkal over the course of 3 days. Would you hire a guide, or just go solo? Are maps available out there?

Also, saw on Facebook the other day that people are still using Crampons and axe on the summit!!! I was banking on it being much less snowy! Need to add hold luggage to take Crampons and axe.......do you think that they will be required.....essentially two weeks from today I guess that I'll be on the mountain!

Cheers
 olliehales 18 May 2016
In reply to mysterion:

Strange, I found Ouarzazate to be very friendly, though we did arrive on bikes.

Did make the mistake of visiting a 'co-operative' however.....

mrphilipoldham 18 May 2016
In reply to Tom Guitarist:

The route is very easy to find, straight up the valley bottom to the huts, then left up the hill and keep going to the ridge where the summit structure will be visible. I did it solo, and in a day from Imlil and back. 12 hours door to door.

I did it in March and needed crampons above the huts, I'd assume there'd be less now but couldn't advise as to how much!
mysterion 18 May 2016
In reply to Tom Guitarist:
Great! Solo with no guide is fine if you have prior crampon/iceaxe/'airy' exposure experience. Once out of Imlil (the hardest part routefinding) the path to the refuge is straightforward, just remember to cross the early flat stony bit to end up on the left. From the refuge just head upstream a little to a stream crossing (the hardest bit again) then follow others up the path to the lip of the cwm. Turn left at the col for the summit!

Saw no maps for sale out there, mine was a Cordee 1:50000 Toubkal with Marrakesh streetplan from Amazon though you could do Toubkal (but not Marrakesh) without a map as long as you go down the way you went up (it's a flat summit so be sure of the way off, there are two that lead off a little circuit on the top).

Snow conditions in two weeks, hard to say except they do seem to change quickly, went from graupel to fantastic neve in two days flat ten days ago. Caught out a good number of people, both guided and non-guided, who took the advice that crampons were not needed that late in the season. Worth carrying to the refuge at least.
Post edited at 14:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...