UKC

Hotels/B&B's near Edinburgh Zoo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 17 May 2016
Taking the missus away for her birthday.
Any recommendatiosn for hotels/B&B's near Edinburgh Zoo?

Not even necessarily in Edinburgh if the place/setting in nice as we'll have the car
 Rob Parsons 17 May 2016
In reply to goose299:

The Holiday Inn is right next to the zoo. Quite nice: you can wake up in the morning to all the exotic animal sounds.
 tony 17 May 2016
In reply to goose299:

There's a Holiday Inn right next to the zoo. This does mean you'll be kept awake at night by the monkeys jabbering away. The other downside is that the zoo is right on a busy main road, which is a bit less than romantic for a birthday treat.
OP goose299 17 May 2016
In reply to goose299:
The Holiday inn is also 150quid a night. DOn't quite want to spend that uch if i can
 Fantastical 17 May 2016
In reply to goose299:

I've stayed in the Victorian Townhouse in Haymarket a couple of times. Small B&B, very friendly owner. It's about two miles from the zoo (straightforward walk there, although along a main road), and a short walk from the city centre (about a mile to Waverley I think). On a pretty quiet road. There's also a travelogue just around the corner from it.

Link here: http://www.thevictoriantownhouse.co.uk

Cheaper rates if you book direct with the owner (Aileen).
 Rob Parsons 17 May 2016
In reply to goose299:

> The Holiday inn is also 150quid a night. DOn't quite want to spend that uch if i can

It's her birthday, cheapskate!

However, it might help if you clarify your requirements: "Any recommendations for hotels/B&B's near Edinburgh Zoo? Not even necessarily in Edinburgh if the place/setting is nice" covers a lot of ground, and a lot of price ranges ...
Post edited at 20:39
OP goose299 18 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Nice to know you can judge me calling me a cheapskate not knowing a) my financial circumstances or b) what else she's getting.

But yeh, I probably should have clarified a little more
 Rob Parsons 18 May 2016
In reply to goose299:

> Nice to know you can judge me calling me a cheapskate ...

It was meant to be a joke; apologies for any offence.

> But yeh, I probably should have clarified a little more

If you can clarify further, you might get some more helpful replies.

On general costs (i.e. food, booze, etc.), brace yourselves: it's an expensive city.
Post edited at 12:04
OP goose299 18 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:
> (In reply to goose299)

> On general costs (i.e. food, booze, etc.), brace yourselves: it's an expensive city.

I expected nothing less to be fair. As long as it's good quality grub, i'm fine with that

elsewhere 18 May 2016
In reply to goose299:
For a special occasion

Apex hotel grassmarket - there are two apex hotels on grassmarket.

Get the one with rooms that have a balcony overlooking grassmarket and superb views of the castle.

Might be a bit noisy (festival time or weekends )and pricey but worth it if it is in budget.

Dump car overnight in safe Murrayfield rd garscube terrace kind of area and walk/tram/bus.

Edit: residents only parking zones are pretty extensive so google for the current zones but I don't think they've changed for a while
Post edited at 14:44
 tony 18 May 2016
In reply to elsewhere:
> Dump car overnight in safe Murrayfield rd garscube terrace kind of area and walk/tram/bus.

Very good point - Edinburgh is a great city for walking around in, and an awful one for driving in if you don't know what you're doing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...