UKC

Gear/brake cable (internally routed) help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 18 May 2016
Hi,

I'm going to replace the gear and brake cables on a cyclocross bike. They are internally routed. Will a road bike kit do the job? Its got jagwire ones at the moment, is there much difference between that and the cheaper shimano ones?

Assuming I don't have to replace with jagwire that is!

Lynsey.
 Dark-Cloud 18 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

You can use whatever you want providing its long enough, i suspect mountain bike may give longer outers. If the outer is full length you may be better buying a roll of outer and the inners, Shimano is fine and so is Jagwire
 nniff 18 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

It will be fine - there's usually a good foot at least left over. You'll notice an improvement if your current cables are tired, but how much of an improvement you would notice with Jagwire I couldn't say I'm afraid. Check that the ends of the outer aren't corroded - you're wasting your time replacing the inner if the outer is past its best.

There was a thread on here recently about cutting cables without cable cutters. There are various options, but buy a pair of basic cable cutters and save yourself no end of grief.
 alisonk 18 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

If you haven't got one then get the Park Tools internal routing kit ( http://www.parktool.com/product/internal-cable-routing-kit-ir-1 ) it makes guiding the cables through the holes a lot easier. Or if its just cables use a good magnet.
 nniff 18 May 2016
In reply to alisonk:

My frame has got internal straws - feed the cable in one end and it pops out of the other. The only gotcha is that the left hand entry is for the right hand shifter and vice versa
 LastBoyScout 18 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

You should be fine with Shimano or Jagwire - I've got both on various bikes without any problems.

There's naff all difference between the cables for road, cyclocross or MTB, as far as I'm aware - the only gotcha is that Campag shifters need slightly smaller ends for the inners than Shimano, which will accept both.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...