UKC

Calm down and do not "Carry on"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Morning,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36316574

Strikes me as the sort of Operation Yew Tree type era humour and of no relevance to modern society .
So what do you think ?

Doomed to fail in spectacular fashion IMO.

TS
 graeme jackson 18 May 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

it'll make a refreshing change from the avengers / x-men / angsty teenager(eg. insurgent) type movies we've been inundated with over the past 10 years or so.
In reply to graeme jackson:

> it'll make a refreshing change from the avengers / x-men / angsty teenager(eg. insurgent) type movies we've been inundated with over the past 10 years or so.

Maybe so , I can't disagree. But anything will be a nice change from that.
I'm sure it will be as interesting and as riveting at the Dads Army film.
Pure paint drying material.

Chris the Tall 18 May 2016

"Infamy, Infamy, they've all got in in for me"

Apart from that brilliant line they were generally pretty dire films, interesting from a sociological point of view - a reflection on attitudes to sex, equality etc, but even so I can't help but feel they were already slightly out of date.

Carry on Camping came out in 1969, a year after Hair was on the west end
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Carry On Up The Khyber is a work of genius.
Jim C 18 May 2016

> Doomed to fail in spectacular fashion IMO.

Well its not our money they are risking, and we don't have to go and see it, so let them go for it, and if the reviews are any good, you can choose to go see it or not.

Its risky, I would say, but good on them for taking some risks.
 Phil Anderson 19 May 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

There's a lot more to them than that one line I think. The earlier ones (especially the black-and-white ones) are particularly charming IMO and the music was fantastic.

Most of the later ones were undeniably poor though, and Carry on Columbus was a travesty.

Timmd 21 May 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:
From childhood I remember liking the black and white ones a bit more, they had a little bit more of an 'Ealing Comedy' feel to them I think, with more intricate plots or tomfoolery. I wonder if some of the writing staff changed which led to the change in their feel?
Post edited at 20:06
Moley 21 May 2016

If they have a good popular (Brit) cast and a very funny script (the hard bit), why wouldn't the films be hits in UK at least?
 Clarence 21 May 2016

I suspect that some potentially good traditional bawdy comedies will be ruinec by the "Carry On" tag hanging about their necks like the proverbial albatross. Different cast, different writers, different production, what exactly will make these carry-on films?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...