UKC

Slovenly Speech

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 18 May 2016
I have just watched a programme about somebody who was arrested on suspicion of murder.

At one point there was a playback of the interview of one of the witnesses which went something along the lines of:

"I was like 'you've killed him'"
"He was like 'I only punched him'".

It went on for about five minutes with the witness continuing to say "I was like..." "He was like..."

Does anyone know why people use such a slovenly turn of phrase when it's just as easy to say "He said..." or "I said..."?

It's certainly isn't any better than using crutch words.
 MG 18 May 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Inarticulate murderers, what is the world coming to!?
 ThunderCat 18 May 2016
In reply to MG:

> Inarticulate murderers, what is the world coming to!?

Easy now - this was a witness. The alleged murderer may have been a latter day Noel Coward
Lusk 18 May 2016

Appalling, send them all to Eton where they can learn to speak proper and master porcine onanismic techniques.
 ThunderCat 18 May 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Appalling, send them all to Eton where they can learn to speak proper and master porcine onanismic techniques.

I'm suddenly reminded of "Raffles the Gentleman Thug"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffles,_the_Gentleman_Thug

Where "There's plenty more where that came from" becomes "There's an elegant plenitude from whenceforth that originated'"
In reply to Lusk:

And then get sent to de-poshing elocution lessons so they can 'have more in common with the man in the street', by learning to say 'Briddish' instead of 'British'.

Yes, that's you, Gideon Osborne, you fakking slaaag...
 Rob Exile Ward 18 May 2016
'Does anyone know why people use such a slovenly turn of phrase when it's just as easy to say "He said..." or "I said..."?

Er, well, the answer (which I 100% guarantee you won't like) is ... yes.

It is an academic subject called 'linguistics'; The Language Instinct by Stephen Pinker is a good introduction.

Read it and you may be surprised.

And by the way, everyone uses linguistic constructions to dissemble and obfuscate. Read Boris Johnson's responses to Eddie Mair's famous interview, he's at least as inarticulate as the example you quote, he's just inarticulate with a posh accent.
Post edited at 19:44
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Well he was making it up as he went along. Not for the first time and sadly, not for the last.

T.
 Rob Parsons 18 May 2016

> And by the way, everyone uses linguistic constructions to dissemble and obfuscate. Read Boris Johnson's responses to Eddie Mair's famous interview, he's at least as inarticulate as the example you quote, he's just inarticulate with a posh accent.

Off-topic - but wasn't that a great interview?

Most people dealing with Johnson play along with the cheery bonhomie (because, I assume, they don't want to be thought of as spoilsports), and so he gets away with saying more-or-less anything. Eddie Mair played him with a straight face and a dead bat - and Johnson was found out. We need more of that!
OP FesteringSore 18 May 2016
> 'Does anyone know why people use such a slovenly turn of phrase when it's just as easy to say "He said..." or "I said..."?

> Er, well, the answer (which I 100% guarantee you won't like) is ... yes.

> It is an academic subject called 'linguistics'; The Language Instinct by Stephen Pinker is a good introduction.

> Read it and you may be surprised.

> And by the way, everyone uses linguistic constructions to dissemble and obfuscate. Read Boris Johnson's responses to Eddie Mair's famous interview, he's at least as inarticulate as the example you quote, he's just inarticulate with a posh accent.

Be that as it may I can see no logic in saying "I was like..." as a substitute for "I said...". I'm curious to know why and how the practice originated. It neither sounds or looks right.
Post edited at 19:55
 mike123 18 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Anybody got a link to said interview ? I'm guessing it was like , you know , that there today program ?
ultrabumbly 18 May 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11426737

Though I think 'like' is not only a filler. It's also used as a non-committal, 'along the lines of', rather than a verbatim report. It comes out repeatedly with some people in some situations when they relate a situation as they will do so wholly in terms of dialogue even if that dialogue didn't take place but it describes in essence what happened.

innit?
Removed User 18 May 2016

Last year it seemed everyone was saying 'absolutely' when a simple 'yes' would suffice. Still a few around but not as many, so perhaps they are just a short lived (but irritating) fashion.
ultrabumbly 18 May 2016
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

> Last year it seemed everyone was saying 'absolutely' when a simple 'yes' would suffice. Still a few around but not as many, so perhaps they are just a short lived (but irritating) fashion.

"Everyone" Really?.....
 marsbar 18 May 2016

Basically tho innit.
Lusk 18 May 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> And then get sent to de-poshing elocution lessons so they can 'have more in common with the man in the street', by learning to say 'Briddish' instead of 'British'.

Oh Geez, that was cringe worthy of the highest order!
It doesn't bother me much how people speak apart from when they e/affect accents.
The MiL used to go 'Posh' now and again, please stop dear.
 Rob Exile Ward 18 May 2016

'Be that as it may I can see no logic in saying "I was like..." as a substitute for "I said...". I'm curious to know why and how the practice originated. It neither sounds or looks right.'

OK and I have suggested a source where you can find an answer - but you have chosen to ignore it.

That's fine, but that does make you irredeemably ignorant,
 JJL 18 May 2016

What I find interesting about this use of "like" is that not only is it imprecise, but seems to actively highlight that imprecision.

"Of" instead of "have" - as in "would of done X" - makes me wince a bit (I am, after all, my mother's child), but I can hear how it has come about.
 Bobling 18 May 2016

"Oh my god, I was like, literally, like, *fill in the blank*"

The most annoying filler phrases to echo round the corridors at my workplace. Apologies slightly off topic but I feel better now.
OP FesteringSore 18 May 2016

No, I have not ignored it, I have hardly had time to read it so I made an interim response to your comment.

I find you quite irritating at times. I tried to engage in a reasonably intelligent conversation with you but when you disagree or dislike the manner in which somebody responds you seem to resort to arrogance and insults.
 Big Ger 19 May 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I'm suddenly reminded of "Raffles the Gentleman Thug"

My role model!!

cb294 19 May 2016

Because constantly saying "like" makes you sound like a 1980s California valley girl? No idea why one would want to, but possibly US movies may be to blame.

CB
 flopsicle 19 May 2016

You think that's bad? I worked with a social worker who has 2 annoying speech habits.

Habit 1: She could not say 'said' at all, either it was "Kevin vocalised a desire to leave." or, "Jane advised she liked a drink." It was twaddlish!

Habit 2: She could not 'vocalise' straightforward agreement. She'd be like (JK!) "I don't disagree.". I can see that there are occasions when it makes more sense to just not disagree, but it'd be peppered throughout any case discussion. Eventually I just asked her to ether agree or disagree or 'advise' that she does not know - this led to her getting in a pure tailspin!

I also found the habit 'She turned around and said ....., so I turned around and said...' to be endemic in the homecare provider industry. Whilst listening to any description of a disagreement, my imagination would eventually have two spinning plump ladies! Damn my cartoon brain!

Anyhow, I think murderers, professionals, toffs and beta giving climbers all enjoy the occasional cultural speech badge! Of course I be like not nothing like that.....
 alan moore 19 May 2016
In reply to cb294:
Yes blame the Yanks. They never say nothing right.

Love this clip, count the "fams" and "bloods"

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYuY3v2_2g&
 jcw 19 May 2016
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

> Last year it seemed everyone was saying 'absolutely' when a simple 'yes' would suffice. Still a few around but not as many, so perhaps they are just a short lived (but irritating) fashion.

Indeedy , indeedy.

krikoman 19 May 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

> "Everyone" Really?.....

yes absolutely everyone.
cb294 19 May 2016
In reply to alan moore:

I am not blaming the Yanks, just presenting a potential explanation, and anyway I donĀ“t really care (as I am German). However, I do remember from my time in the US (back in 1985) that "like" was at the time associated with your stereotypical "valley girls".

Maybe the use of "like" was initially used to avoid fully committing to what was said (similar to "kinda"). Certainly at one point it just became a fad, which may later have spread via US movies (like so many other things, including e.g. the word movies).

CB
ultrabumbly 19 May 2016
In reply to flopsicle:
> "Kevin vocalised a desire to leave."

youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3sBks5o_8& ?
 Phil Anderson 19 May 2016
In reply to cb294:
I can't hear the phrase "Valley girl" without thinking of this...

youtube.com/watch?v=p-LArv-sEQU&
Post edited at 13:51
 flopsicle 19 May 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Eloquently descriptive of my feelings towards most social services meetings....
 nniff 19 May 2016

I have a daughter who is setting out to become a teacher. She had to cover similes and metaphors in a lesson. That used to be easy, but now the scope for confusion has burgeoned:

I was like a statue. Easy.

I was like, "I'm not moving." Not so easy.

She went, "I was like, "I'm not moving"". No habla Ingles, and God knows where that last full stop should go.
 johnjohn 19 May 2016

> At one point there was a playback of the interview of one of the witnesses which went something along the lines of:

> "I was like 'you've killed him'"

> Does anyone know why people use such a slovenly turn of phrase

...only "slovenly" in your opinion. Why do you think this use of 'like' is slovenly? Would it have been better if he'd been, like:

"'What I said went something along the lines of: 'you've killed him'
'Then what he said went something along the lines of 'I only punched him.'"

I think I prefer your original rendering. Only my personal preference, like.
Jim C 19 May 2016
In reply to MG:
> Inarticulate murderers, what is the world coming to!?

I've got one with a maths and physics degree, that overuses that phrase( much to my annoyance)
Should I watch out in case she turns to murder
Post edited at 18:19
 Big Ger 20 May 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> You think that's bad? I worked with a social worker who has 2 annoying speech habits.

I'd happily employer her! Christ on a pogo stick, only 2? Are you sure she's a qualified social worker?
OP FesteringSore 20 May 2016
In reply to johnjohn:

> ...only "slovenly" in your opinion.

...and the opinion of many others. Some on this forum and many elsewhere.
OP FesteringSore 20 May 2016
In reply to johnjohn:

"'I think I said 'you've killed him'
'I think he said 'I only punched him.'"
Fixed that for you. This, of course, assumes that there is an element of doubt on the part of the interviewee as to the exact wording, otherwise "I think" can be omitted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...