UKC

Dartmoor in soggy conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nicnic 20 May 2016

The Bloody Knuckles Climbing Club's plans for a trip to Dartmoor this weekend are looking dubious/soggy.

I wondered if anyone with Dartmoor knowledge could offer advice on whether bits of Dewerstone or Haytor might still be climbable despite wet conditions with south westerly wind?

Yes, I suffer from incurable optimism.

Failing that, what's fun on/near Dartmoor despite rain?
 Cheese Monkey 20 May 2016
In reply to nicnic:
No chance. Chudleigh and Torbay might be worth a look, but even then with the forecast I think you will be very lucky to find anything. Maybe some very steep stuff somewhere
Post edited at 12:08
 Tom Last 20 May 2016
In reply to nicnic:

Dartmoor tends to stay pretty minging after rain for a day or so if there's no breeze. If it is actually raining, it'll be horrible. Haytor area is in the rain shadow of the moor to an extent, so seems to get marginally better weather than the west (Dewerstone area), but is still high so is a poor choice on a bad forecast.
BBC's forecast for Sunday looks alright for Bude, so you might get away with something on the culm.

Some routes (Sarcophagus etc.) stay dry in the rain at Chudleigh.
 phizz4 20 May 2016
In reply to nicnic:

Climbing wall near Tavistock and one at the Life Centre in Plymouth.
Go east, into the rain shadow, around Torbay.
Mountain Biking.
 Owen W-G 20 May 2016
In reply to nicnic:

World of Marbles in Bovey Tracey is essential for all visitors to Dartmoor, raining or not.
 Sean Kelly 20 May 2016
In reply to nicnic:
Torbay indeed is in the rain shadow of Dartmoor and does dry very quickly. Meadfoot and Telegraph Hole are the best bet for damp conditions and Red Wall area at Berry Head
Actually Haytor is fairly quick-drying, but it can be very windy and cold, best on a nice afternoon /evening.
Post edited at 20:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...