UKC

World Cup bouldering question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 20 May 2016

Can anyone explain the qualification round process...?

Are the same problems used for both Qualification 1 & 2?
My feeling was they are not but that begs the question, how are the competitors then ranked together if they've done diffrent problems?

11 KLINGLER Petra SUI 4t4 5b5
11 SAURWEIN Katharina AUT 4t5 5b6

Why isn't Katharina 12th?

7 NOGUCHI Akiyo JPN 5t9 5b9
7 PILZ Jessica AUT 5t7 5b7
9 MASCARENAS Megan USA 5t9 5b9

Why is Akiyo ahead of Megan?

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/world-competition#!comp=1637&cat=5
Post edited at 18:25
In reply to JLS:

They are split into two groups with separate problems due to a high number of entries, hence the different rankings and paired results.
OP JLS 20 May 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Cheers, that takes me part of the way to enlightenment.
So, how many from each group go through?
I can't see the pattern in the ranking.
It doesn't seem to be just the top 10 from each group.

OP JLS 20 May 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Ok, I think I get it now... Complicated!

stp 20 May 2016
In reply to JLS:

So yeah, the top ten from each group of problems goes through. The black line marks the cut off point of entry to the semis.

Great to see so many Brits getting through with Shauna in joint first place and Nathan Philips qualifying in second.
 stp 21 May 2016
In reply to JLS:

It might also make more sense if click on either QUALIFICATION 1 or 2. You can see exactly what each competitor did on each problem.

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/world-competition/calendar#!comp=163...
OP JLS 21 May 2016
In reply to stp:

Presumably, names are pulled out of the hat to decide who's in group 1 and who's in group 2?
I guess the setters will have ranked the qualification problems and tried to share the difficulty between the two groups but enevitabily the hardest problem will in one set or the other. It must grate a little with whoever finishes 11th in the "hardest" group.
OP JLS 21 May 2016
In reply to stp:

Yes, it was all the equal 1st in Shauna's group that confused me. At first glance it looked like there were more qualifiers from that group than the other group.

In reply to JLS:

The World Ranking is used to determine which group you are in and is also used to determine the starting order.

The WR is different from the World Cup ranking in that it is based on the results for the last year and includes the World Championships (if there was one last year). The World Cup ranking gets reset to zero at the start of each season.

In group 1 you get the competitors with the ranking 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13 etc

In group 2 you get the competitors with the ranking 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...