UKC

Chip time or Gun time for PB?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 21 May 2016
Probably been done before but...

I was at my local 5k last night - very fast and incredibly popular with club runners. (I'm not one).

Starting zones were provided, as was chip timing.

I think I finished 211th on the gun in 19:30 but my listed chip time is 19:16 - 3 seconds inside my PB.

So - given all of that, do I have a new PB or not? I would say yes - the event provided accurate chip timing and that was my run time. In relation to the race I crossed the line in 211th and consider that as my official position over my chip position (206th).

Thoughts?
 Yanis Nayu 21 May 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Did you time yourself on your watch as you crossed the line?

I know nowt about the accuracy of timing chips I'm afraid.

As an aside do people count a course whether the finish is lower than the start for the purposes of a PB? I like to start and finish my runs in the same place to avoid that.
OP Rampikino 21 May 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yes I have a Garmin and it was very similar (with 1.5 seconds) and there are always minor differences between watch and chip.

Frankly given the very varied nature of courses, as this was an officially measured race with a UKAA licence then I'm not worried about the profile - it's a fast 5k, though felt slower than another I did lately...
 Roadrunner5 21 May 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Chip time, gun time is for positions.
OP Rampikino 21 May 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Chip time, gun time is for positions.

That's pretty much how I figure it too.
 Roadrunner5 21 May 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Normally Id count a lower finish but it depends. I'd count Boston Marathon as a PB if I ran one there, its a much lower finish but has ascents in it so it isn't that fast a course.
OP Rampikino 21 May 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I think if you got yourself hung up about the net gain or loss of elevation over the race then you could tie yourself up in knots as to where the line is drawn.

Over many runs there will be harder/easier ones and slower/faster ones so it's probably as well to accept the PB but also look at consistency at the distance over a variety of different routes.
 james1978 21 May 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I would take my chip time everytime. That's the recorded time over the set distance - you might be waiting 10 or 20 seconds to get over the start line on some occasions if there are a lot of competitors.
 Yanis Nayu 21 May 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Congrats on your PB!
OP Rampikino 21 May 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Congrats on your PB!

Thank you - totally unexpected as I felt weary/leggy. I'm not grumbling!
 BusyLizzie 22 May 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Chip time. In the Reading Half with 16,000 runners those in the slower starting zones don't get to start moving until twenty minutes or more after the gun.
 DancingOnRock 22 May 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Yes. Chip for time, gun for position.

Frustrating though as a slower runner could finish in front of you if they start in the 'wrong' (or right) pen. Depending how you look at it.

I suppose ultimately in a big race if you're that bothered you can sort the chip times using excel although some give you a chip position and a gun position anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...