UKC

Malaysia - Kota Kinabalu or Kota Bharu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1234None 21 May 2016

I will have 2-3 weeks to explore some of Malaysia during a longer SE Asia trip this summer and am looking for info about places accessible from either Kota Kinabalu or Kota Bharu.

It'll be a family trip with my wife and 2-year-old daughter and we are looking for somewhere off the beaten track with lots of natural beauty and outdoor activities...watersports, climbing, trekking etc. We aren't fussed too much about where we stay and would prefer affordable "bungalow-style" accommodation rather than hotels.

Specifically, how easy is it to get around the islands, jungle areas and coastline from Kinabalu and Kota Bharu. If you've done both areas, would you go to Kota Bharu and head to the Perhentian islands or go for the Kinabalu area, and why? We will be starting and finishing our trip from KL, and have around 20 days total. If there are better areas - other than those around Kinabalu or Kota Bharu then I'd love to hear about them too as we are pretty flexible...

Any info about stuff to do and places to stay gratefully received. Thanks!
Post edited at 16:11
 Ben07 21 May 2016
In reply to 1234None:

Mulu park is amazing! !
Scuba diving around mabul/sipadan.
kota kinabulu trek!
Bako national park is really good, and only about an hour away from kuching city. Theres also spied climbing nearby kuching at fairy cave. Didn't go myself, but looks good!
I've been to quite a lot of places around se Asia and these are deffo some of the best.
So much to see in borneo.
 DWS gibraltar 21 May 2016
In reply to 1234None:

I don't think kinabalu would be suitable with a very young child you wouldn't be Able to relax.
 drgrange 21 May 2016
In reply to 1234None:

We (young family of 4) did KL, Penang and Langkawi then over the other side to the Perhentian Islands and PULAU KAPAS in 3 weeks last year. Fantastic trip. Easy safe travel, tuns of culture. No stress. Magical

I think we stayed in 8 different places. Some of them planned but also some that we decided on whilst there.

The limestone cliffs we saw were impressively big. Very crumbly though, so just a bit of a wind up really.

Internal flights are ridiculously cheap btw
OP 1234None 22 May 2016
In reply to drgrange:

Thanks all for the replies so far. I think we will do a week in Borneo and a week around Perhentian and Redang.
 Offwidth 22 May 2016
In reply to 1234None:
Perehntian islands used to be amazing and they were trying hard to protect them but its still best find out the current state of the reefs (loads of resort reefs are trashed). Borneo is a world class venue for Kinabalu park (the mountain and the changes of forest with altitude) and Mulu park (really accessible huge caves and rainforest) and the Sepilok Orang Utang Sanctuary and a visit to a Longhouse are very popular. KK is a good place with a marine park next door. A lot of it though is just being there with so many cultures. All the local flights are easy but beaurocracy for permits can be a pain if you are doing it yourself. I've had many holidays in the region and have never been disappointed.
Post edited at 12:21
OP 1234None 23 May 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks - in the end I booked flights giving us a week in Perhentian/Kota Bharu then 10 days or so in Borneo, flying in to KK. Amazingly cheap flights with the whole trip (4 internal flights for a family of 3) costing around 150GBP. Really looking forward to it and it'll be great to look around Malaysia a little after so much experience of Southern Thailand!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...