UKC

New camera advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 siwid 22 May 2016
After a bit of UKC wisdom here! In the market for a new camera, I've been looking around for the last week online and in shops. I currently have a Canon IXUS 220HS which is great for stashing in a pocket and taking pictures when I'm out and about. I now have a 6 month old daughter and am looking for a second camera which will produce better image quality for recording family memories. Quite likely some shots will be printed out and blown up to go on walls of house etc. I've used an SLR in the pre digital days so know the basics and am keen to learn more. My budget started at £200 and has crept up to £300 over the last week!

Main contender is an entry level DSLR, been looking at the Nikon D3300 and the Canon 100D.

Also looked at some compacts around the £200 mark (Sony HX60V, Canon 710X, Nikon S9900, Panasonic TZ60) but figure although they'll be better than my current canon they won't produce anything like the image quality of the DSLR options above.

Was recommended the alternative of a Sony A5000 by a chap in John Lewis who seemed to know his stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has any alternative options, particularly other entry level DSLRs around the £300. Don't particularly want to go second hand as would like the assurance of a guarantee.

Ideas and advice appreciated!

Thanks
In reply to siwid:

I'll try again when I can see the price points

Will you actually by extra lenses or do you just want better quality?

In what was the quality of the 220HS not been OK?
OP siwid 22 May 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

The 220HS doesn't perform too well in low light or with moving subjects. Recently I uploaded a load of photos onto my laptop some taken with my 220HS and some taken on my sister inlaws digital compact (not sure of model), was surprised to see that the photos taken with my camera were in general (focus, exposure, colour and clarity of image) of a lower quality than hers. This made me think it was time for an upgrade.

As for lenses, I would potentially buy additional lenses in the future but happy wth just a kit lens for the next year or so.
In reply to siwid:

My mum has a 220hs which i think I bought. But she think the photos are a bit soft so that does make sense

I have a Sony RX100 which is a great compact. I also own Nikon D90. The Nikon is better for auto focus on moving objects and the files are better. But any low light advantage is lost as the lens is 2 stops slower

I'm no expert on Nikon models but the D3300 will be fine. A a 35mm f1.8 lens will be needed to have a really good low light camera

Don't buy a mirrorless for indoor moving action. The better mirrorless can using tracking AF in good light but at some undisclosed light level it turns off

Your budget still shows at weird number in your first post
OP siwid 22 May 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

Thanks for the reply, only just seen what you mean about my budget, not sure what happened there! Between 200-300 pounds
OP siwid 23 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

Anymore for anymore? Planning to buy this week.
 LeeWood 23 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

Do any of the compact digitals offer the option of manual override on focus? What sort of camera would I have to obtain in order to have this as an option ?
 HeMa 23 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

Panasonic G7 kit has been showing upo at a rather nice price-range (500€, including 14-42 and 45-150).

I'm seriously tempted... especially the 4K photomodes should make ya happier with the todler...

http://www.rajalacamera.fi/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g7-14-42mm-ii-ois-45-150mm-o...
 olliehales 23 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

I use a Ricoh GR - Compact with APSC sensor, and fixed focal length of 28mm. Produces great images (well I think anyhows) without the bulk of SLR.

Zoom using my feet or crop images later on computer.

I have heard the sony RX100 models are also very good, likewise the Fuji X100 series (35mm fixed lens, older models now cheaper, secondhand maybe within your budget).
 George Fisher 23 May 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

The Panasonic lx100 has a dedicated focus mode switch and a focus ring on the lens.

It looks like the quickest route to MF. (Flick switch, turn ring. No menus involved)

I'm almost sold on one.
 Hamfunk 23 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

I'd go with the Panasonic GX7 if you can stretch to it. All the joys of a DSLR but more compact.

Also you can always invest in another lense at a later date - if you can get a deal on a 12-35mm it's a beauty or a 14mm pancake would give you a very portable unit. I have the 20mm pancake but find its a bit tight for scenery shots and the like.

It shoots lovely 1080p at at a range of FPS. In my opinion 4K is a waste of your time, storage and money.
 Alex Riley 23 May 2016
In reply to Hamfunk:

Another vote for gx7.
OP siwid 24 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

Thanks for all replies, looks like it's a toss up between the D3300 and the GX7
 HeMa 24 May 2016
In reply to Hamfunk:

> In my opinion 4K is a waste of your time, storage and money.

For video it might be...

But the best thing is getting 15, 25 or 30 pics per sec @ 8 MPix....
 Hamfunk 24 May 2016
In reply to HeMa:

After many years of holding down the shutter in the hope of attaining good photos i've moved to a single shot and move policy, it's forcing me to think about the composition before pulling the trigger and accepting that taking 20 similar photos is unlikely to give me a "chance" good photo.

While it may sound great to be capturing 30 pics per second @ 8 MPixels, I'd ask what the practical use is? If the user doesnt have the time or inclination to sift through several hundred photos just to find the one good one then its useless. And that assumes there is a good one in the pack!

Most of the cameras discussed here will do 3-6 FPS in continuous shutter mode which should be more than enough if this feature is required.

That's just my experience / opinion.
 malk 24 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

a question for the GX7 fans- what makes it better than the competition from eg fuji/sony/olympus?
 malk 24 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

>Was recommended the alternative of a Sony A5000 by a chap in John Lewis

i holded on getting this when the later models came out. early this year i got the superior 5100 from amz for 299- same price as the 5000 was - and still is- selling at on john lewis
meanwhile the 5100 now selling for 420 on amz..

what's going on?

Hamfunk 24 May 2016
In reply to malk:

I don't really have an answer for that. I got a GH2 years ago for the datarate hack and then a second hand GF1 and then sold them both to get the gx7 as it served both purposes, and was compatible the lenses I had.

I dont have a balance review of the gx7 and no real comparison to any of the competition but there are plenty review site that i'm sure would provide this info. I did have a Nikon dSLR a few years back but I'm converted to micro 4/3rds now and I'm never going back!!
OP siwid 26 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

This GX7 fellow is proving to be pretty illusive, would like to have a play before buying but struggling to find one in an actual shop. Tried currys, John Lewis and local camera shops but none in stock. Anyone know if it's been discontinued or a newer version due at soon?
 Hamfunk 26 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

The GX8 is out, hence the price drop on the GX7 and probably the reason its not in the shops.

What options are you down to now?
OP siwid 26 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

Canon EOS 100D at John Lewis for 289 or Nikon D3300 at Currys for 279. Happy with either of those really, leaning towards the Nikon, new camera for the long weekend!!!
 Hamfunk 26 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

You get cashback on Quidco from currys if that's any help. 3% i think. check it out.
OP siwid 26 May 2016
In reply to siwid:

Nice one, thanks for that
In reply to siwid:

I wouldn't buy a new DSLR if my budget was tight, I would get something 2nd hand from London Camera Exchange and save up for a good quality lens. The benefits of top quality glass with DSLRs cannot be overstated. Alternatively, a Panasonic G6 and a 14-42 can be had for under £300 and gives really great results, with lots of control and there is a smart phone app for controlling the camera.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...